Tigers @ White Sox

Kyyle23

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Don't forget, he made two substitutions for pinch runners and then bunted, so he was still playing for one run (tie game).  If they had tied it in 8th, he was then down two of his more dangerous hitters.

and who can save the game anyway if you keep burning out the pen?...go for the big inning at home, because it's obviously not like we are in a pennant race and have to follow the old play for a tie in that situation maxim.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

there was just no reason to burn through Rondon and avilan so quickly, especially if frye was unavailable...and they still ended up having to use Minaya against v.martinez as a lhb even though he made it into a life or death situation in the top of the 7th.

Yeah, this is even worse to me than the Baltimore/Yolmer Sanchez "squeeze bunt" game. That was one bad call. This was a series of pre-meditated blunders. One after the other. Mismanaging BOTH the pitching staff AND the lineup. Just brutal. 

It seems to me that a quality which all bad managers possess -- is that they don't know when to just leave the f'n game alone. Maybe it's a need to justify their presence/job? I don't know, but it's something I've noticed. 

Just now, Richie said:

Yeah, this is even worse to me than the Baltimore/Yolmer Sanchez "squeeze bunt" game. That was one bad call. This was a series of pre-meditated blunders. One after the other. Mismanaging BOTH the pitching staff AND the lineup. Just brutal. 

It seems to me that a quality which all bad managers possess -- is that they don't know when to just leave the f'n game alone. Maybe it's a need to justify their presence/job? I don't know, but it's something I've noticed. 

maddon simply can get away with it because sheer talent trumps managerial stupidity 90% of the time....otoh this sox team has zero margin for error with a bottom of the order rivaling the Royce Clayton/Mark Johnson years

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I disagree. The Sox are roughly ~20 deep in good to great MLB prospects. If they get  2 all stars, 3  solid MLB regulars and 2-3 bench players/relievers out of the whole group of 20 that is actually an incredible scouting job. If they get 3 or 4 MLB players total, that is average, and if they get 5 MLB players total out of the group that is really good. Scouting hasn't become so accurate that you hit on 50% of these guys, that isn't how it works. If they hit on 30% that is incredible under most circumstances. The fact that the Cubs missed on virtually nobody and the Astros missed on 4-5 guys only is incredible generational luck. 

They Sox went for pitching unlike the Cub and Strohs. It would make sense to trade a couple of future Q's for a solid young position guy like Moncada. FA pitching is less of a priority. 

Just now, Richie said:

THIS!! I've watched baseball since 1977 (sorta), played at an "elite" level (high school), had a tremendous statistical career (ONE home run in 4 years of playing JV/Varsity-though it was a pretty cool homer--playoffs 1987), but this part bolded says IT ALL.   

1 minute ago, pcq said:

They Sox went for pitching unlike the Cub and Strohs. It would make sense to trade a couple of future Q's for a solid young position guy like Moncada. FA pitching is less of a priority. 

I don't disagree. When you breakdown our situation, as a whole. We have a ton of pitchers and we don't need them all to pan out. Nor do we have to clutch onto all of them. However, I'd like to see a bit of a clearer picture of what they all are first.

10 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

THIS!! I've watched baseball since 1977 (sorta), played at an "elite" level (high school), had a tremendous statistical career (ONE home run in 4 years of playing JV/Varsity-though it was a pretty cool homer--playoffs 1987), but this part bolded says IT ALL.   

Yeah, I actually began to notice this initially from back when I played as well. My high school and college managers were like that. Those levels are LITTERED with f'n Tony LaRussa wanna be's who think "teaching young players baseball" = "Every time a runner gets on, we bunt and manufacture runs!"... Stuff like that. Bleck! I had coaches who said all the typical stock lines from old school baseball. "I don't care if your my 4th hitter or 9th hitter. You're gonna bunt this season." I actually had one coach say he "doesn't like home runs -- because it clears the bases and takes the pressure off of the defense"... Uh... excuse me? The pressure of what? Allowing those runs to score? Like you would accomplish if you hit one out of the damn ball park right now? lol

My favorite line was "play for one run an inning. If we can score one per inning - we win!". Yeah, the thing is... that won't happen, dingus. Then you'll simply get one run out of the few times you threaten every ball game. You'll average about 3 runs per game - which my college team did one year and we stunk. haha

It's obviously different when you get up to the professional level. These guys are much more qualified, but it's the same principle. 

Edited by Richie
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Richie said:

I feel for the guy, but even he has to know that his days in Major League Baseball are extremely numbered and that he can't hang. He sees his numbers on the scoreboard every night. 

Trayce batting with the game on the line. He needs to play in Charlotte and rebuild his approach at the plate.