The Ken "Hawk" Harrelson Appreciation/Nostalgia Thread

Jack Parkman

As we reach the halfway point of Hawk's last season in the booth, feel free to post your favorite Hawk calls/moments in here. I honestly can't believe this thread hasn't been made yet. 

This is a good compilation of more recent stuff

Edited by Jack Parkman

I think I have mentioned this before but it was funny and I thought Hawk would get in some trouble, in the early 90s they were in Oakland, and it was a beautiful day. Sunny, in the 80s. All game long they kept on flashing to women dressed in bikinis Finally Hawk says “Wimpy, I’ll tell you one thing about this camera crew in Oakland, best beaver shooters in the league.”

Well. maybe it was asking for favorite things that people can recall that led to this thread being a dud . I can't remember any one thing but I sure do like the old guy. For a team lacking exposure on a national level he brought a lot of that even if it wasn't always positive. Overall I think it was a positive with his colorful style and unabashed homerism. I'll miss him. He is a legend.

I missed this over the weekend, but I mean I can sit here and pick out highlights for hours, but the big thing it boils down to is that it has always felt like watching a game with my dad or my grandpa.  He feels the game like no another announcer in baseball does.  He is mad when something bad happens, he is elated when something great happens.  The colorfulness he brings to the game is all but dead in the 21st century as broadcasts get more and more watered down, safe, and non-threatening.  It feels like I am losing a life long companion with Hawk retiring for all of the decades and countless hours we have put into together.  He is quite literally the soundtrack to some of the favorite memories in my life.

• Like 2

'05 when he went on an inning long mini-rant about how much better we were than the redsox. Better starting pitcher, better bullpen, better situational hitting...  he was proven right in the playoffs. 

And of course "WHAT ARE YOU DOING, WEGNER?!"

Edited by joejoedairy

9 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I missed this over the weekend, but I mean I can sit here and pick out highlights for hours, but the big thing it boils down to is that it has always felt like watching a game with my dad or my grandpa.  He feels the game like no another announcer in baseball does.  He is mad when something bad happens, he is elated when something great happens.  The colorfulness he brings to the game is all but dead in the 21st century as broadcasts get more and more watered down, safe, and non-threatening.  It feels like I am losing a life long companion with Hawk retiring for all of the decades and countless hours we have put into together.  He is quite literally the soundtrack to some of the favorite memories in my life.

+1

The correct answer is

"Call your sons, call your daughters. Call your friends, call your neighbors. Mark Buehrle has a perfect game going into the ninth."

"Ball hit deep into left center field, Wise back, back. Makes the catch! Dewayne Wise makes the catch! What a play by Wise! A great catch, by Dewayne Wise! Mercy! Under the circumstances, one of the greatest catches I have ever seen in 50 years in this game."

"He gone! One to go!"

"Alexei...YES! YES! YES! YES! History!"

Hawk might has well have been my own thoughts in those final two innings.

His HR call was great. Simple. Repeatable. Enthusiastic. Fun to say.

I don't feel he's been very good for the last several years, but, much like Harry Caray at the end, it shouldn't diminish what he was at his peak. 

He was entertaining with Drysdale in the 80s and great with Wimpy in the 90s. It's too bad that duo broke up, but he was still good afterwards. He just never quite meshed with his partners.

I'm not a fan of the homerism. Some fans like it, and I do to an extent. I want my teams' announcers to be rooting for my team. But, if a replay obviously shows that our guy was out, or the pitch was a ball, or whatever, I'd rather have our announcer admit it than act like he can't see it. There was a little too much of that for my taste. I would also have liked a little more honest assessment of Sox players' abilities. He had me convinced that Gordon Beckham would be great. I'm sure the reality for a guy who has seen as much baseball as he has is that he knew Beckham wouldn't be able to hit without some major adjustments.

I liked his stories. It's too bad that the Yaz stuff and talking about Boog Powell or whoever became kind of a running joke or point of criticism for his detractors. I always appreciated his stories. Yaz was basically on his last legs when I started watching baseball, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't have known who he was. And kids who started watching in the 90s and 00s should, too.

im glad Hawk was our announcer for as long as he has been, and I'm glad he gets to leave on his terms. At his best, he was pretty darn good. Hopefully he'll have at least one more big moment where he gets a chance shine again.