Once Again, Fire Ricky Renteria

Insp

I know that some time back I started a thread about firing our worthless manager, but could not find it.  So here's a new one.

Why does Cedeno have a pitch limit of 5?

Why does Avilan have a pitch limit of 4?

Why was Minaya with his ERA of 8+ allowed to stay in the game and give up the winning run while far more talented pitchers were taken out of the game extra early?

Why were the team's hottest hitters taken out of the game and replaced with cold stiffs?

Fire Ricky Renteria.  Its the only we can compete this year.

• Like 1

It's not even about competing this year.  It is more about his in game decisions not putting the team in the best position to win, execute, etc. 

I don't foresee him being fired mid-season, but how this young team plays down the stretch will go a long way to determine whether or not he survives the winter.  

And why the heck do you bunt when down late in the game especially when you've already burned though half your bullpen, and the other half could use a night off?

But it's a happy clubhouse that pays proper respect  to the FO and that's what's important.   This org. hasn't shown any interest in hiring independent professionals in 2 decades.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Thanks 2

Given that Navarez hit a three run home run it was surprising to see him bunt, but that's Ricky. Also Minaya is the 13th pitcher on the staff, only up because Jones is again on the DL. Why is he pitching in a tie game?

Strange.

Personally I hope RR is not the manager if this team gets good but remember JR doesn't think and never has thought that head coaches or managers are that crucial, he certainly won't go out and pay top dollar to get one or even see if one can be available through trade while under contract. (It has happened before by the way where a manager was traded for a player), that's not the way he operates.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

And why the heck do you bunt when down late in the game especially when you've already burned though half your bullpen, and the other half could use a night off?

But it's a happy clubhouse that pays proper respect  to the FO and that's what's important.   This org. hasn't shown any interest in hiring independent professionals in 2 decades.

I do agree that it seems to be a "closed" "family"  type operation. Unless you are part of or were part of the Sox there doesn't seem to be a place for outsiders. That's bad because you start to get a "group think" in certain areas if everyone is having the same experiences.

They need new blood, outside the organization with fresh ideas and ways of looking at the issues and problems. Again though that's not JR's way, it's seems to be "loyalty" above all else unfortunately.

I think the rebuild has a good chance of working, but I think it would have had a better chance if the same front office that put the franchise into the ditch wasn't being asked to fix it.

All you can do as a fan is hope it all works in the end.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Insp said:

I know that some time back I started a thread about firing our worthless manager, but could not find it.  So here's a new one.

Why was Minaya with his ERA of 8+ allowed to stay in the game and give up the winning run while far more talented pitchers were taken out of the game extra early?

Why were the team's hottest hitters taken out of the game and replaced with cold stiffs?

What exactly are the White Sox competing for this year?  I mean it's year 2 of a rebuild, some patience is needed.  It wasn't always going to be puppies and rainbows after we dealt away anyone worth anything on the major league roster, it's not a surprise that throwing out a team of majority young players has its struggles.  Sure, Ricky does make questionable in game decisions from time to time, but we aren't exactly yielding the Astros or Yankees rosters.  Fire Ricky for who at this point?  I'd truly like to know what the plan would be post-firing now, I am genuinely curious.  

Glad there was a thread for this. At the game it was so incredibly confusing the whole 8th inning. Going through three bullpen arms in the seventh only to leave Minaya in WITH NO OTHERS warming up was maddening. 

8 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

What exactly are the White Sox competing for this year?  I mean it's year 2 of a rebuild, some patience is needed.  It wasn't always going to be puppies and rainbows after we dealt away anyone worth anything on the major league roster, it's not a surprise that throwing out a team of majority young players has its struggles.  Sure, Ricky does make questionable in game decisions from time to time, but we aren't exactly yielding the Astros or Yankees rosters.  Fire Ricky for who at this point?  I'd truly like to know what the plan would be post-firing now, I am genuinely curious.  

This is especially true in the bullpen. How many useful pitchers were traded last year? Its going to take time.

That being said RR used too many of the better pitchers early. The only possible excuse is that they wanted to see if Minaya could handle the pressure of the eighth. While he did pretty well with only the one run, he didnt get the job done.

But I think it all goes back to the question---- How important are wins and losses? Obviously a lot of losses means a better draft pick. Is Hahn making the major decisions on overall "strategy" and RR just following orders. I posted a while back that i thought Moncada should not bat lead-off.  He was struggling and I thought a change would help. Several posters said this year was not important and more AB's for Moncada was the goal. Well he is struggling worse and except for LH starters, he still leads off. Traditionally a leadoff hitter is not someone having major struggles. But if getting AB's for Moncada is more important than winning, why isn't Anderson batting 2nd to get him more AB's as well.   

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This is especially true in the bullpen. How many useful pitchers were traded last year? Its going to take time.

That being said RR used too many of the better pitchers early. The only possible excuse is that they wanted to see if Minaya could handle the pressure of the eighth. While he did pretty well with only the one run, he didnt get the job done.

Yeah I think that's the exact strategy of the move.  It doesn't hurt too much right now to find out if he can't handle those situations.

14 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

But I think it all goes back to the question---- How important are wins and losses? Obviously a lot of losses means a better draft pick. Is Hahn making the major decisions on overall "strategy" and RR just following orders. I posted a while back that i thought Moncada should not bat lead-off.  He was struggling and I thought a change would help. Several posters said this year was not important and more AB's for Moncada was the goal. Well he is struggling worse and except for LH starters, he still leads off. Traditionally a leadoff hitter is not someone having major struggles. But if getting AB's for Moncada is more important than winning, why isn't Anderson batting 2nd to get him more AB's as well.   

I hope RH isnt dictating in game strategy. That will really make it tough to hire the next manager. 

6 hours ago, DH in the NL said:

The number 1 overall pick for the 2019 draft. 

Then if that's the case, out goes the point of this thread because Renteria is in fact giving the Sox a chance to compete.

FWIW, I'd put the odds of them finishing with the worst record in baseball at 1,000,000 to 1. The Orioles have 5 less wins already (and have seemingly been stuck at 19 for weeks now) and after Machado is traded, they might not win 45.

Edited by soxfan49

10 hours ago, Insp said:

Why were the team's hottest hitters taken out of the game and replaced with cold stiffs??

Do you really think this team is going to compete this year? Like, really, deep down in your heart, in the deepest recesses of your mind, do you think they will compete? Even if Joe Girardi or Joe Maddon or whomever is managing?

Edited by Scoots

Just now, Scoots said:

Do you really think this team is going to compete this year? Like, really, deep down in your heart, in the deepest recesses of your mind, do you think they will compete?

Yes.

For a high draft pick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I do agree that it seems to be a "closed" "family"  type operation. Unless you are part of or were part of the Sox there doesn't seem to be a place for outsiders. That's bad because you start to get a "group think" in certain areas if everyone is having the same experiences.

They need new blood, outside the organization with fresh ideas and ways of looking at the issues and problems. Again though that's not JR's way, it's seems to be "loyalty" above all else unfortunately.

I think the rebuild has a good chance of working, but I think it would have had a better chance if the same front office that put the franchise into the ditch wasn't being asked to fix it.

All you can do as a fan is hope it all works in the end.

Whoever the next owner of this organization is (and there has to be several people or groups out there who consider themselves to be the possible successor to the current regime), he/she/they must be chomping at the bit to come in and turn this mess of a franchise around.  

12 hours ago, Insp said:

Why don't you have a post limit?

13 hours ago, Insp said:

Cedeno does have a limit of one LH hitter. He is being showcased as a LOOGY. 

Edited by ptatc