Badler J2 Preview - Sox Tied to 2 Cubans

bmags

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Not sure if you saw my post but he's not in Badler's top 50 so no, if he's not up there we aren't getting a top 50 guy, and i doubt there is much difference in a #51 guy vs a #150 guy beyond that.

No I didn't, but thanks for the heads up. If nothing else, dreaming on him being anything like his father, or taking advice from his father, is pretty cool. We've seen a handful of big league sons recently make huge leaps in the last couple of years.

14 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I'm not asking if Tejada Jr will ever be good, I was just more-or-less asking if it's safe to assume he's not very highly touted, if a team like us with restrictions is able to sign him. Obviously most of these guys are complete lottery tickets, and there are many cases of random low signings turning out good, but if he's signing for $300K, he's probably not near the top of his class right now. Just tempering my enthusiasm. 

You also have to consider his father made close to $100M so he's set for life. That extra bonus isn't his main priority. Reasons for signing with the Sox could be they could guarantee him lots of playing time, given that we were didn't have any high profile signings, or that the new developmental staff we have put in place to help him develop, or that Omar Vizquel has helped pitch the Sox to Tejada himself.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

You also have to consider his father made close to $100M so he's set for life. That extra bonus isn't his main priority. Reasons for signing with the Sox could be they could guarantee him lots of playing time, given that we were didn't have any high profile signings, or that the new developmental staff we have put in place to help him develop, or that Omar Vizquel has helped pitch the Sox to Tejada himself.

That's a tremendous point. Hadn't even considered that.

12 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Wow, that was literally the only thing I was looking forward too after the shit drafts and free agencies the Bulls and Blackhawks had.

Well said. What a disappointing weekend for Hawks and Bulls and now we will be told Monday that both teams are better (sigh) however signing Tejada would have been intriguing.  

11 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Anything about Espinosa? He's the better prospect anyways IMO.

The White Sox are in the second year of a two-year penalty for exceeding their bonus pool to sign Cuban outfielder Luis Robert, so all of their bonuses will be for $300,000 or less. Anthony Espinoza (video below) is a quick-twitch shortstop out of Venezuela who is expected to sign with the White Sox. They’re also expected to sign third baseman Bryan Ramos and catcher Alberto Lemay Bernal, both from Cuba, and Venezuelan catcher Luis Pineda. For a while, the White Sox looked like they were going to sign Miguel Tejada Jr., a former corner outfielder who recently moved to shortstop, but now the son of the 2002 AL MVP looks like he might be headed elsewhere.

9 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

It damn well better be because he's being offered more elsewhere, and not just that he doesn't want to be here.

If you look at it objectively, what do the Sox have to offer that other teams don't?  Even if other teams aren't willing to outspend, the White Sox system is insanely crowded right now.  His path to the majors may be toughest through Chicago.

18 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Someone to lookout for in the DSL now.

I think Diaz is like Quintero and is an older guy that disappeared after playing on the national team. I saw a box score with Harold Diaz at SS for the Cuban national team at the 2015 15U PanAmerican championships when they played the American team. I couldn't find any tournament wide stats like for the WBSC world cups, but he didn't end up playing in the world cups the next couple years, so I don't really know what happened. Likely he just didn't develop as much and we are just taking a shot of him developing more when he gets in a system. 

On 6/26/2018 at 9:31 AM, bmags said:

Clearly Tejada Jr is good clickbait for headlines, unfortunately does not look like he's a top 50 prospect in this LatAm class according to Badler.

Sox did not see a top 50 prospect, which may not be surprising due to the spending cap.

For reference, it appeared the lowest amount i saw a top 50 player expected to sign for was 500k, so that is good info was we theorized how many the spending limits may push individual talents prices down.

It looks like the bigger question will be whether there was any change in the 50-150 range now, which I don't know if we'll see analysis like that because I don't know if anyone ranks 150 16 year olds.

I'm not surprised we didn't get a top 50 guy but glad we are still investing. You just never know who the late bloomer is going to be and in the case of Miguel Jr, I'll bet on bloodlines all day long.  

48 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I'm not surprised we didn't get a top 50 guy but glad we are still investing. You just never know who the late bloomer is going to be and in the case of Miguel Jr, I'll bet on bloodlines all day long.  

We didn't end up signing Tejada Jr. 

Badler had it in one of his last updates before today that we weren't signing him. Neither pipeline or BA have him signed to any team yet, so there is still a chance.

2 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

We didn't end up signing Tejada Jr. 

Badler had it in one of his last updates before today that we weren't signing him. Neither pipeline or BA have him signed to any team yet, so there is still a chance.

So far it appears the White Sox are the only team tied to him, though.

11 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you look at it objectively, what do the Sox have to offer that other teams don't?  Even if other teams aren't willing to outspend, the White Sox system is insanely crowded right now.  His path to the majors may be toughest through Chicago.

Right, but if we are to believe he was going to come here and then decided to go some where else, it better be money reasons, something the Sox can't control.

21 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

OTOH, if the kid really believes in his ability, he shouldn't be worry about being blocked by the likes of Laz Rivera, Yeyson Yrizarri, or Mendick in the minors. Madrigal is our only real infield prospect. If we're talking about the majors, who knows if Anderson will still be on the roster 5 years from now or that Jr himself still plays SS.

1 hour ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

OTOH, if the kid really believes in his ability, he shouldn't be worry about being blocked by the likes of Laz Rivera, Yeyson Yrizarri, or Mendick in the minors. Madrigal is our only real infield prospect. If we're talking about the majors, who knows if Anderson will still be on the roster 5 years from now or that Jr himself still plays SS.

He is playing CF.