Astros interested in Abreu?

southsider2k5

Just now, fathom said:

Big difference between Abreu and JDM.  You get an extra season with Abreu, as well as the ability to get a comp pick if he leaves after next season.

Well that and about a delta of 40 in expected wRC+.  JD is an elite hitter.  Detroit did OK in that trade but I wouldn't expect Chicago to really do that much better, even with the contract differences.  Jose is just not an elite hitter -- not since his rookie year anyways.  Very good?  Sure.  

ZIPS thinks he's worth 1.5 fWAR the rest of the way fwiw.

As I said in previous Abreu threads, the market for 1B/DH bats is the thinnest its been in years. Abreu should command two back end top 100 prospects or one back end, one top 150ish and something interesting.

Astros - OF/1B Yordan Alvarez + LHP Cionel Perez + SS/2B Jonathan Arauz

Rockies - 3B Colton Welker & RHP Peter Lambert

Dodgers - OF Yusniel Diaz + RHP Dennis Santana + LHP Caleb Ferguson

Yankees - have a need but don't quite match up with them

Angels - SS Kevin Maitan  + 2B Jahmai Jones

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, beautox said:

As I said in previous Abreu threads, the market for 1B/DH bats is the thinnest its been in years. Abreu should command two back end top 100 prospects or one back end, one top 150ish and something interesting.

Astros - OF/1B Yordan Alvarez + LHP Cionel Perez + SS/2B Jonathan Arauz

Rockies - 3B Colton Welker & RHP Peter Lambert

Dodgers - OF Yusniel Diaz + RHP Dennis Santana + LHP Caleb Ferguson

Yankees - have a need but don't quite match up with them

Angels - SS Kevin Maitan  + 2B Jahmai Jones

What about Abreu straight up for Tucker?

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Man you guys devalue Abreu. Have you looked at his career stats? The guy is an all star and more than that a good clubhouse guy, too. He's a fricking stud. He will bring a ton back. For the record, greg DOES NOT want to trade him, I've just accepted that he gawn.

Preach burner Hahn

I think Abreu can get you one top 100 guy, and maybe 1 or 2 mid-tier guys. 

But what I wonder is if the Sox can pair Abreu up with one of our relievers, like we did with the Yankees trade last year. Go for one really high-end guy, like Alvarez, whom everyone is mentioning. 

But on his own, maybe something like LHP Cionel Perez, 3B JD Davis, and C Garrett Stubbs?? 

• Like 1

Just now, Baker said:

Abreu is worth maybe 5 WAR over the next year and a half. Bukauskas would be worth close to that over a six year controllable career. 

Hostetler, pretty likely, referred to Bukauskas' meltdown pre-draft last year as something that to paraphrase, "completely took him off of our board". I think if they hated his make-up then, they wouldn't like it any better now.

24 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I think Abreu can get you one top 100 guy, and maybe 1 or 2 mid-tier guys. 

But what I wonder is if the Sox can pair Abreu up with one of our relievers, like we did with the Yankees trade last year. Go for one really high-end guy, like Alvarez, whom everyone is mentioning. 

But on his own, maybe something like LHP Cionel Perez, 3B JD Davis, and C Garrett Stubbs?? 

Make it Alvarez, C.Perez and Stubbs, I'm game.

28 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Hostetler, pretty likely, referred to Bukauskas' meltdown pre-draft last year as something that to paraphrase, "completely took him off of our board". I think if they hated his make-up then, they wouldn't like it any better now.

That is a very good point. I completely forgot that Bukauskas might of been that guy. 

49 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I think you'd have to add Nate Jones to make that work. Astros can't be desperate enough to get Abreu to give up their best "touchable" prospect in a deal that wouldn't help fix their more pressing need, their bullpen.

I would be willing to add Jones or Avilan or Rondon to the mix for those three. 

Would love to snag Stubbs in a trade and send Narvaez back to Charlotte.

Just now, BlackSox13 said:

I would be willing to add Jones or Avilan or Rondon to the mix for those three. 

Would love to snag Stubbs in a trade and send Narvaez back to Charlotte.

I've been enamored with Stubbs since we were all making Sale/Q to Astros deals over the last 20 months. He's been considered an above-average defensive catcher with an above-average arm, but he also happens to be hitting .356! this season in AAA, with a BB rate of about 10%, and a K% of only 13.5%. I guess the only knock against him is that he doesn't have much power. But with good defense, good arm, good eye, good contact, fuck it, no power is fine.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

1 hour ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I've been enamored with Stubbs since we were all making Sale/Q to Astros deals over the last 20 months. He's been considered an above-average defensive catcher with an above-average arm, but he also happens to be hitting .356! this season in AAA, with a BB rate of about 10%, and a K% of only 13.5%. I guess the only knock against him is that he doesn't have much power. But with good defense, good arm, good eye, good contact, fuck it, no power is fine.

Whitley is the Houston minor leaguer I've been enamoured with.  Though I realize he isn't going anywhere. 

Agree with everything you say about Stubbs. I remember his name coming up often during the last year or so.