Astros interested in Abreu?

southsider2k5

9 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

This

Don't see it at all, more and more fans would turn

Means too much to this team

I think they would at least have a discussion with what he wants. If he wants to play for a winner, deal him if the price is right. You can try to sign him after 2019 if they want.

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

Man you guys devalue Abreu. Have you looked at his career stats? The guy is an all star and more than that a good clubhouse guy, too. He's a fricking stud. He will bring a ton back. For the record, greg DOES NOT want to trade him, I've just accepted that he gawn.

Chris Sale >>>>>>>>>> Abreu; 3 years of control >>>> 1.5 years.
Chris Sale + 3 years  returned equivalent of 2 Whitleys
Therefore,    Abreu +1.5 years <<<<< 1 Whitley.

On a side note, Abreu has not had a great year due to a terrible last month in which his OPS has dropped over .100

Edited by GreenSox

59 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

This

Don't see it at all, more and more fans would turn

Means too much to this team

The Sox are 24-48. What is Abreu doing that “means too much” to this team? Having someone lead this team to the third worst record in baseball means more to fans than getting a return that will add to what the Sox are trying to accomplish? Having someone to call our best player is meaningless. Look at how great Machado is doing and the Orioles still have the worst record in baseball. Why? Because the rest of their team sucks. Just like ours. Abreu’s impact is more valuable to a team ready to win now than a team fighting to get the number 1 overall pick in next years draft. A return that can accelerate the Sox plans is what we should be hoping for. 

Edited by DH in the NL

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

On a side note, Abreu has not had a great year due to a terrible last month in which his OPS has dropped over .100

How much longer are we gonna fall for this? He's streaky but he always ends the season with pretty similar numbers. 

8 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

How much longer are we gonna fall for this? He's streaky but he always ends the season with pretty similar numbers. 

.964, 850, .820, .906, .830.  His down years, which are solid, are similar.  But it would be nice to trade him in an up year, which looked like was happening a month ago.

11 hours ago, greg775 said:

I'm on the record saying if we DONT get a top end or 2 player for Abreu that Hahn should be fired on the spot. He's as proven a player as you can acquire and he has 5-6 good to great years left. My gawd. Devalue your own some more.

And only under contract FOR TWO. Something you fail to understand constantly. Nothing wrong with asking Abreu what he wants because he's that respected of a player and has earned that right, and if he is ok being dealt, trade him (only if the offer is right) and try to sign him at the end of 2019. Nothing wrong with this at all.

Edited by soxfan2014

12 hours ago, Hot FiRe said:

The Astros are notoriously stingy with their prospects. Hope they have what it takes. 

Well according to you all it should take to get Abreu is a bag of balls.

10 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Everyone should revisit the Martinez trade from last season. He's arguably a better hitter and look at what he brought back. FA status or not, that is not an impressive return.

Value drag or not, there was no value in that trade. Makes sense.

22 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

We have 24 wins...no way we finish at that amount.

If their winning percentage stays stagnant the rest of the year, the Sox will win 54 games.  I believe they'll finish with between 55 and 60.  A bad year for sure, but not Greg-bad.

I'd like to get my hands on some mixture of Yordan Alvarez, Cionel Perez, Freudis Nova, DJ Davis and AJ Reed.  I assume Whitley and Tucker aren't available, even in a 1 for 1 swap.  

With the 40 man getting more crowded next season, some younger guys that won't need to be added to the 40 man right away make sense.  Something like Alvarez, Perez and Nova for Abreu + their pick of Soria, Avilan or Cedeno makes some sense.  Probably too steep for the Astros, though.  

Another interesting thing for the White Sox becomes positional availability.  For example if they get OF's where do they send them?  The Sox all but admitted they didn't want to draft Steele Walker as there was no where to play him.   There is literally no where left to play a quality prospect. In the franchise is going to have to cut multiple OFs in the organization just to make room to move the top end guys around.

It does you no good to get a guy and not be able to play him 5 out of 6 days a week.  The Starting Pitching back up is almost as severe.

Abreu's kind of had a rough couple of weeks, but that just means he's sort of due for a big couple of weeks here soon. It's so consistent with him. 

I think if he heats up, a team might offer a top 50 prospect and a throw-in. I'd love Alvarez.

Edited by Richie

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Whitley and Tucker will be off-limits for Abreu. I'd seriously consider something based around Yordan Alvarez though. Kid has a .950 OPS in AA as a 20-year old. Something involving Alvarez and RHP Jairo Solis would be a solid deal IMO. 

And would you be at all shocked if Sox then signed Abreu after next season?  For me, would make a lot of sense actually.

12 hours ago, greg775 said:

We are a 48, 49 win team IMO. You wait. That's our win total this season. I stand by that but NO WAY are we winning more than 53 games. And we won't win that many.

So which is it: 48-49, or 50-52? Make up your mind, dude.

5 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Well according to you all it should take to get Abreu is a bag of balls.

Value drag or not, there was no value in that trade. Makes sense.

You've quoted me on Abreu about 10 times this past week. I get you're obsessed but you're going to have to wine and dine me first sir. 

Also, since we have just way too much pitching, we better target positional players amirite?

12 hours ago, greg775 said:

We are a 48, 49 win team IMO. You wait. That's our win total this season. I stand by that but NO WAY are we winning more than 53 games. And we won't win that many.

Lol

This is so absurd, that it's not even worth addressing. Very hard to imagine a trek to 100 losses. Worst case is a repeat of last season's total at about 65. Seeing as they're only going to get healthier in the OF (Leury, Nicky, Avi) and pitching will continue to develop. Rodon is back and should settle in soon. Young teams like this always play better in the 2nd half. In no planet is this one of the worst teams in the history of major league baseball. 

But if you want... I'll bet the deed to my house on over 53 wins. lol

Just now, Richie said:

Lol

This is so absurd, that it's not even worth addressing. Very hard to imagine a trek to 100 losses. Worst case is a repeat of last season's total at about 65. Seeing as they're only going to get healthier in the OF (Leury, Nicky, Avi) and pitching will continue to develop. Rodon is back and should settle in soon. Young teams like this always play better in the 2nd half. In no planet is this one of the worst teams in the history of major league baseball. 

It's easy to say totally absurd shit when you don't care at all about being called out for being wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, fathom said:

And would you be at all shocked if Sox then signed Abreu after next season?  For me, would make a lot of sense actually.

That's the move if they want Abreu for the future - trade then sign.

As for his importance on this team, this team is 20+ games below .500 in June, and falling.   What are we talking about here?

As for the Astros not giving up good prospects, the  Brewers, Pirates, Phillies and Brave each have an Astros prospect(s) that has been more productive in the majors than anyone the Sox have received in the rebuild, to date.

Edited by GreenSox

31 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

That's the move if they want Abreu for the future - trade then sign.

As for his importance on this team, this team is 20+ games below .500 in June, and falling.   What are we talking about here?

As for the Astros not giving up good prospects, the  Brewers, Pirates, Phillies and Brave each have an Astros prospect(s) that has been more productive in the majors than anyone the Sox have received in the rebuild, to date.

The WS just started their rebuild 18 months ago. Every one of the trades you reference above was made 2.5+ years ago. Give it time. I bet Moncada ends up with a much better career than any of the guys the Astros gave up in those 4 trades.

2 hours ago, Richie said:

Lol

I think that is safe. the Sox based on their pace right now would win 60 games and they havew won 1/3 of the games played. But some caution, what happens if Hahn trades guys like Abreu, Jones, Shields. They may have some pitching options but Abreu would be a tough bat to replace.  I still think Sept is a wasted month for many teams( especially this year) so the Sox should get to 60.  

2 hours ago, Hot FiRe said:

You've quoted me on Abreu about 10 times this past week. I get you're obsessed but you're going to have to wine and dine me first sir. 

Also, since we have just way too much pitching, we better target positional players amirite?

You flatter yourself. Also, I'd rather be known as the guy who's just too overly optimistic about the team's future pitching outcomes than the guy who hates Jose Abreu for no reason other than Abreu has proven him wrong through his performance too many times to count.

Edited by Dam8610