Astros interested in Abreu?

southsider2k5

37 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Projected WAR over controllable time frame X ($ value per 1 WAR) minus projected salary over controllable time frame.    

Thanks.

Doesn't seem like the most reliable metric as not all prospects are ranked the same across the board.

How much WAR was Moncada projected to have by now going by his surplus value from when we acquired him?

Heard on WEEI in Boston that there is a rumor of an Abreu for JBJ trade. Not sure what their source was as i was in and out of car during the discussion.  I think Sox can get a better deal for Abreu. 

1 minute ago, SCCWS said:

Heard on WEEI in Boston that there is a rumor of an Abreu for JBJ trade. Not sure what their source was as i was in and out of car during the discussion.  I think Sox can get a better deal for Abreu. 

I think that rumor is a resurrection of last year's Abreu/Boston rumor. Literally the same shit.

Agree that the Sox can get more.

27 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Doesn't Bradley Jr. suck ass?

7 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So I take it from this comment and the ones on Madgrigal that you are not very fond of small players Can' I take a guess that you are over 6' tall ? Just kidding around.

My preference is for prototypical size/skill guys for positions if they are being drafted 4th overall or a headliner in a trade.

I don't mind taking a chance if they are the 2nd/3rd guy in a deal or drafted later. In Madrigal case we were drafting 4th there I don't want a grinder, scrappy hitter, leadoff guy. I'm expecting a superstar.

I don't think he'll ever hit for enough power to get there. We'll see I guess.

Just now, BlackSox13 said:

Just another silly rumor out of Boston. Funny thing is that Bradley is having an Adam Engel type year so why the fuck would the Sox trade for JBJ lol.

There is a better then decent chance he's nontendered after this season already making 6+. There was a rumor earlier before the season but JBJ is worthless right now.

1 minute ago, wrathofhahn said:

There is a better then decent chance he's nontendered after this season already making 6+. There was a rumor earlier before the season but JBJ is worthless right now.

Yeah I think that rumor goes back to last year's trade deadline, IIRC.

Good point about him being a nontender candidate after this season.

If the Astros trade for Abreu, they might be the first team in MLB history without a hole anywhere on their team. Mighty impressive. 1B is the only hole they have currently. Might be the most perfectly constructed team of all time. I'd be shocked if they didn't repeat should they trade for Abreu. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If the Astros trade for Abreu, they might be the first team in MLB history without a hole anywhere on their team. Mighty impressive. 1B is the only hole they have currently. Might be the most perfectly constructed team of all time. I'd be shocked if they didn't repeat should they trade for Abreu. 

Their outfield is underwhelming besides Springer.  Marisnick has 136 at bats for them and is hitting .176

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Their outfield is underwhelming besides Springer.  Marisnick has 136 at bats for them and is hitting .176

I thought their outfield was Marwin Gonzalez-Springer-Reddick. All clearly solid MLB players at least. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

On 6/19/2018 at 10:03 PM, chitownsportsfan said:

Top 50 overall?  A- prospect?  At best I think we could get a Rutherford type and a A ball lotto ticket.  So something like a B guy and filler.

Hold on, you were just saying a few weeks ago you’d give up a B prospect for James fucking Shields if you needed a backend starter and now you think that’s all we’d get for one of the best hitters in baseball??

On 6/19/2018 at 10:01 PM, GreenSox said:

Chris Sale brought 2 top 25 prospects and 1 good secondary piece.  By that return, Abreu won't deliver a top 50.

But, they can get a couple of good players and should still trade him.

#1 overall prospect in baseball is not the same as just any top 25 guy.  Huge value difference there.

On 6/19/2018 at 10:31 PM, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Everyone should revisit the Martinez trade from last season. He's arguably a better hitter and look at what he brought back. FA status or not, that is not an impressive return.

Someone will almost certaintly get a comp pick for him after the 2019 season, so that increases his value.