Astros interested in Abreu?

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

The Yanks are getting horrible production out of Bird. I wonder if they would have interest in Abreu. The Yanks look to be a bit heavy on right handed hitters but Abreu would be a huge improvement over Bird.

With Judge and Stanton occupying the corner outfield spots for many years to come they might be wiling to part with Clint Frazier who was just optioned to AAA.

How far are they under the luxury tax line this year? They can't accidentally go over that line because they're trying to get out from under the multi-year repeat offender rules.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

How far are they under the luxury tax line this year? They can't accidentally go over that line because they're trying to get out from under the multi-year repeat offender rules.

This is a good point. According to spotrac the Yanks are sitting at 177.8M so they have roughly 19M to spare. More than enough to cover the balance of Jose's 2018 salary which is around 7-8M.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/new-york-yankees/payroll/

I don't know if they would be interested or not, just curious what others think of the possibility.

3 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

This is a good point. According to spotrac the Yanks are sitting at 177.8M so they have roughly 19M to spare. More than enough to cover the balance of Jose's 2018 salary which is around 7-8M.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/new-york-yankees/payroll/

I don't know if they would be interested or not, just curious what others think of the possibility.

But of course, they also have a pitching need, so that could get tight if they decide they're taking on salary to fill that pitching staff.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

But of course, they also have a pitching need, so that could get tight if they decide they're taking on salary to fill that pitching staff.

Yeah, the way they mash I would guess pitching is more important to them and they can use Clint Frazier + to help fill that pitching need.

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Maybe they would be willing to part with a better prospect if it was Abreu + Shields with the Sox taking on some of the remainder of Shields’ contract?

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

Your hatred of Abreu is weird. There's not been a more consistently supurb White Sox player the first four years of a career. Yes he's gonna have to amp it up if he hopes to be as productive this year.

You still didn't disprove what I said. Your hero worshipping of Abreu is disturbing. He could be batting .100 and you would sign him for 50m a year. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Btw the  sox could also consider eating 7-8 m of his salary to make him more attractive. Abreu is currently in a slump but still more analytic teams who look projections and not justvatcrecent batting line might take a chance.

Still only going to get a Top 75-100 MILB prospect...Otoh, a 900ish OPS would get you that and wouldn’t have to even consider sending any money the other way.

I highly doubt that money goes the other direction unless it’s to move a Shields or Soria for a better prospect.

9 hours ago, Hot FiRe said:

You still didn't disprove what I said. Your hero worshipping of Abreu is disturbing. He could be batting .100 and you would sign him for 50m a year. 

We love Abreu for his production so this statement doesn't make any sense. If he was hitting .100 at this point in the year, we'd be pissed.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Btw the  sox could also consider eating 7-8 m of his salary to make him more attractive. Abreu is currently in a slump but still more analytic teams who look projections and not justvatcrecent batting line might take a chance.

I would expect the Astros to among the teams least likely to deeply discount Abreu because of the slump. Back in 2015, they paid full price for Carlos Gomez and his .751 OPS.
The Sox should not only be willing to eat salary, they should offer to eat salary.  Their current  payroll allows them to do it and the ability to eat salary in trades provides some justification for the paltry payroll.

4 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I would expect the Astros to among the teams least likely to deeply discount Abreu because of the slump. Back in 2015, they paid full price for Carlos Gomez and his .751 OPS.
The Sox should not only be willing to eat salary, they should offer to eat salary.  Their current  payroll allows them to do it and the ability to eat salary in trades provides some justification for the paltry payroll.

I'd agree if they didn't win the World Series last year.

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I'd agree if they didn't win the World Series last year.

I'm not sure why that would dissuade them...they seem hungry for another.
I'm not suggesting they will trade any of their top 3 or 4 prospects: they won't.  They never do.
There's still talent to be had; too late for someone like Max Stassi, but it sure would have been nice.

15 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I'm not sure why that would dissuade them...they seem hungry for another.
I'm not suggesting they will trade any of their top 3 or 4 prospects: they won't.  They never do.
There's still talent to be had; too late for someone like Max Stassi, but it sure would have been nice.

So you're saying this but also saying that the Astros would be least likely to deeply discount Abreu because of his slump. I don't think anyone here would accept a deal with them if their top 4 prospects are off the table.

44 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

So you're saying this but also saying that the Astros would be least likely to deeply discount Abreu because of his slump. I don't think anyone here would accept a deal with them if their top 4 prospects are off the table.

The Astros are the team that is the most dedicated to their internal valuation system in all of MLB.  If their valuation system shows that Jose Abreu is worth X, they will NOT play more than X, period.  Their propensity seems to be that they are more willing to spend and take on cash, then they are to send additional prospects.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Astros are the team that is the most dedicated to their internal valuation system in all of MLB.  If their valuation system shows that Jose Abreu is worth X, they will NOT play more than X, period.  Their propensity seems to be that they are more willing to spend and take on cash, then they are to send additional prospects.

Worth considering - they may have been more willing to take on cash last year when cash was something they had in abundance than they would be now that Altuve's mega-deal has been struck and other decisions are in the pipeline this offseason.

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Hey I'm not trying to argue that the Astros would and should pay up. Just that his comments are contradicting each other. I did say they probably wouldn't since they aren't desperate to win their first World Series now.

Edited by soxfan2014

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Hey I'm not trying to argue that the Astros would and should pay up. Just that his comments are contradicting each other. I did say they probably wouldn't since they aren't desperate to win their first World Series now.

Desperate is definitely not something the Astros are. They do have to look at who the other teams in the playoffs will be and determine if adding another player will help solidify a position of need for them. I’d think the Yankees would be a little more desperate at the first base position more than the Astros.

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

If you don't discount the slump, what would you expect a team to give for a 1B who his hitting below .800 OPS and is not good in the field? 

Only by discounting the slump can the Sox  get any quality at all. I don't know how many prospects the Astros have that they wouldn't give up, I can't see Abreu yielding at top 40 or 50.
I think someone way above gave a good comp - something like the Garret Cole package.  Stassi would have fit the Moran spot in that deal, but now the Astros need him.  Maybe a little more volume; or guys low in the minors with a lot of undeveloped skills.

Edited by GreenSox

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

If you don't discount the slump, what would you expect a team to give for a 1B who his hitting below .800 OPS and is not good in the field? 

Only by discounting the slump can the Sox  get any quality at all. I don't know how many prospects the Astros have that they wouldn't give up, but the Abreu won't yield a top 50.
I think someone way above gave a good comp - something like the Garret Cole package.  Stassi would have fit the Moran spot in that deal, but now the Astros need him.  Maybe a little more volume; or guys low in the minors with a lot of undeveloped skills.

This forum would’ve lost their shit if the Sox took the deal the Pirates did if we had Garret Cole. His performance with the Pirates isn’t close to what it is now with the Astros. Do you think if Cole pitched the way he is now with the Pirates they would’ve taken that deal? 

Hahn will not take a deal like that knowing what the team trading for Abreu is going to get in return. If the Astros won’t give Hahn what he’s looking for then next team up. 

17 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Last year the Yanks sent some stiff back the Sox way to help compensate for the salaries. Neil Walker might fit the bill.

18 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If we don't get something of decent value back, there's not much reason to move him. If we're that desperate for money, he doesn't have to be tendered a contract next offseason.

If Abreu walks, you MIGHT get a supplemental draft pick and a year and a half of mentoring. Players like Pham, Judge, Kluber, Hand etc were not on any top prospect lists. So you have to take some gamble and rely on your scouts. If you got one of Fisher, Davis or Stubbs, or got a couple top 10 players that aren't top 100s, you are still putting yourself in better position in the long run. Now I wouldn't just give him away for anything, but I wouldn't cry if we didn't get a top 100 prospect.

6 minutes ago, striker said:

If Abreu walks, you MIGHT get a supplemental draft pick and a year and a half of mentoring. Players like Pham, Judge, Kluber, Hand etc were not on any top prospect lists. So you have to take some gamble and rely on your scouts. If you got one of Fisher, Davis or Stubbs, or got a couple top 10 players that aren't top 100s, you are still putting yourself in better position in the long run. Now I wouldn't just give him away for anything, but I wouldn't cry if we didn't get a top 100 prospect.

It's going to cost $16 million to keep him for next year. That's a pretty high price to pay to maybe get a supplemental draft pick if we're willing to offer him $20 million.