Astros interested in Abreu?

southsider2k5

I would rather keep  Abreu if he can be signed on a three year deal, not five. 

Meanwhile, Avi Garcia looks like he is the guy who hit .330 last season.   His reputation suffers from initial perceptions that he was going to have a lot of swing and miss in his game and that he was slow.  Instead he looks like he is turning into one of the leagues best hitters and he has uncommon speed for a player his size.  Way underrated, in my opinion.

On 7/2/2018 at 9:40 AM, BrianAnderson said:

I'd have an open conversation with Abreu. If the Astros want to put together some prospects for him that make sense you take it to Abreu and have a convo with him and say hey this is our thought process, we'd like to give you a chance to contend via trade and then resign you in 1.5 years.

That would be my ultimate situation - trade him, get some nice pieces and then resign him.

Ok folks, we need to stop talking about the Astros and Abreu. Gurriel and Gattis are both substantially outproducing Abreu at 1b and DH. This "slump" has now gone on long enough that they would view acquiring him as a downgrade. That team does not need him unless one of those guys get hurt in the next 2 weeks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tray said:

I would rather keep  Abreu if he can be signed on a three year deal, not five. 

Meanwhile, Avi Garcia looks like he is the guy who hit .330 last season.   His reputation suffers from initial perceptions that he was going to have a lot of swing and miss in his game and that he was slow.  Instead he looks like he is turning into one of the leagues best hitters and he has uncommon speed for a player his size.  Way underrated, in my opinion.

The Sox have wanted Avi to excel for a long time. He did last year and he's raking this year. It would be fricking asinine to trade him. Just keep him and let him be what he was supposed to be. That said a rival GM should try to "steal" him from the Sox. Deviously package 2-3 guys you've given up on but who are still on a top list of prospects. Avi could be stolen via trade IMO. I wonder which GMs are trying to concoct such deals to offer Hahn. Our front office is in a stretch where they are heroes at Soxfest when they make deals. They are gonna deal some of these guys. Bank on it.

Edited by greg775

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

The Sox have wanted Avi to excel for a long time. He did last year and he's raking this year. It would be fricking asinine to trade him. Just keep him and let him be what he was supposed to be. That said a rival GM should try to "steal" him from the Sox. Deviously package 2-3 guys you've given up on but who are still on a top list of prospects. Avi could be stolen via trade IMO. I wonder which GMs are trying to concoct such deals to offer Hahn. Our front office is in a stretch where they are heroes at Soxfest when they make deals. They are gonna deal some of these guys. Bank on it.

I'm onboard the keep Avi train.  He's figured it out and is a cornerstone player.

20 hours ago, greg775 said:

Is he worth that? Not living in the world of the new-wave stat people who I read closely on this board. First of all he's way too old (remember the new wave stat people are starting to 'brainwash' Greg). Secondly he's terra-bad defensively I've learned. Thirdly, if he keeps hitting like this, many will say he's pretty much on an apparent, rapid, Alex Gordon-like decline. You can't have it both ways. The new-wave stat people tell me Abreu won't even bring much in a trade now. What team would pay him $100,000,000 for five years for certain to decline productivity? In answer to your question, hell no, I don't think he's worth that (because of what the new stat people have put in my head). Of course not. I see him as signing a deal in the 12 to 14 million a year range for 4 years. Folks, he has nothing going for him in terms of what an ideal ballplayer is now. A bad defensive first baseman I've been told, who is of the age a decline is pretty much certain.

Put it this way, if he is certain to get nine figures like Sullivan says, then the Sox would be able to get a great haul for him in trade before the deadline. My take is no way and if the stat people on here tell me he's going to get nine figure deal after everything you've taught me about bad defensive first basemen and declining players in terms of age, I give up. 

The stat people can't have it both ways. You are teaching me what to look for now in a ballplayer and according to what I've been taught here, he's worth what I suggest in free agency, not what Sullivan suggests.

My stance hasn't changed BTW: Keep Abreu, let his contract run out, and uh, try to sign him? Enter the sweepstakes with the other teams when it's time and keep him for 13-15 mill a year for 4 years.

Wow you've completely flipped in the matter of like 2 days.

17 hours ago, Hot FiRe said:

Jose has been complete and utter trash lately. The dude has slowed down significantly. His fat lip with half a tin in it is less tolerable when he can't hit a damn thing. He killed his trade value. 

This is just Abreu propaganda for you Ron. We all know it was you that sat by your computer with endless redbulls tirelessly voting for Abreu to be the starting first baseman in the ASG. ;)