Sox @ Cleveland, 6/20, 12:10 CT

soxfan49

1 minute ago, fathom said:

If the Sox decide they want Madrigal to be their 2nd baseman for 2020, then they would probably start transitioning Moncada to a different position sometime next year?  It's not like we're talking about creating room for when a high school draftee might make the big league roster in 5 years.  

Maybe you should wait until Madrigal has like a single pro AB before crowning him. Jesus christ. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

He came off the DL three weeks before they drafted Madrigal

Yoan Moncada went on the DL with a .263 BA and a .868 OPS.  He came off of the DL on May 15.  By the end of May his average had fallen to .242 with a .756 OPS.  His numbers by June 3, or the day before Madrigal was drafted were almost identical.  In other words he lost 100 OPS points between coming off of the DL and Madrigals drafting.  While the slump has continued PM (Post Madrigal) it was underway long before that happened.  I honestly can't believe people think this is a thing.

• Like 2

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Yoan Moncada went on the DL with a .263 BA and a .868 OPS.  He came off of the DL on May 15.  By the end of May his average had fallen to .242 with a .756 OPS.  His numbers by June 3, or the day before Madrigal was drafted were almost identical.  In other words he lost 100 OPS points between coming off of the DL and Madrigals drafting.  While the slump has continued PM (Post Madrigal) it was underway long before that happened.  I honestly can't believe people think this is a thing.

It's absolutely insane. Yoan is just as likely to not even know who the hell Nick Madrigal even is. 

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Bingo.  As I've noted before, If Moncada bottoms out at a 700 OPS and a few errors in a couple weeks that's a pretty nice bottom for a 23 year old toolsy guy.  Christ, we are used to seeing prospects bottom out with negative WAR and an OPS around 600.  

It speaks to his talent that he's managed to somehow keep the ship afloat even though he's struggling mightily.

By no means am I giving up on him, and it's been insane on twitter the last week or so seeing people suggest he's a total bust.  He's a guy that WAR should love due to his best skills. I'm way more concerned about Kopech's struggles, to be honest. 

With these young guys, I feel like there's a difference between being frustrated and concerned.  When Collins wasn't swinging at any pitches to start the year, that was frustrating.  On the other hand, Giolito would be a concern due to lacking really any true major league qualities.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

What about his defensive slump, when did that start?

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

It's absolutely insane. Yoan is just as likely to not even know who the hell Nick Madrigal even is. 

From what I read about the guy prior to his being a White Sox, I would tend to believe THIS before I would believe he is pissing down his leg about an unsigned draft pick taking his job.

Frustration is WAY easier to believe than a complete lack of confidence.

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

Huh? Does that mean the other guys have the kid in the HOF already? Wtf is wrong with you guys? 😂

You didn't hear about the riots in front of Kenny's house if Singer got picked (who I think isn't good at least)

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Just stay off Twitter, it's a circle jerk.  Twitter crowned his ass in early May and now they are burying him 6 feet deep in mid June.   

Also this.  Putting any kind of weight into how twitter is feeling is turning over your feelings to an amalgamated 3 year old.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

From what I read about the guy prior to his being a White Sox, I would tend to believe THIS before I would believe he is pissing down his leg about an unsigned draft pick taking his job.

Taking a cue from Fathom, let's go to the other extreme end of the spectrum? Do you honestly think Yoan Moncada gives a shit about some 5'6" college IF? I mean, seriously? He probably has no clue who we drafted. 

• Like 1

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

Taking a cue from Fathom, let's go to the other extreme end of the spectrum? Do you honestly think Yoan Moncada gives a shit about some 5'6" college IF? I mean, seriously? He probably has no clue who we drafted. 

Again, this make a helluva a lot more sense than Yoan being scared of him.  This dude is loaded with ego.  It is eating him alive that he isn't playing like a superstar right now.  I would bet gregs house on it.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I was agreeing with you..

A couple of things 

I never thought much of Anderson he seemed to be rushed and has massive flaws that should have been worked out in the minors.  They guy will never have even a decent OBP.

The guys at the top of the rebuild were the same guys that could not build a winning team with proven talent.  I want to hope they know what they are doing maybe they do.....I liked Renteria when they hired him but not so much any more.

Moncada I think will be an ok player but his defense is meh 

Sox are single-handedly turning Cleveland into a runaway division winner again. Oh wait, Sox also woke up Detroit and assured the Tigers they are contenders. Man this Sox team reeks. Seven to eight wins a month is no way to run an organization.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Frustration is the best word to describe the situation. This is probably the first time in his career he's struggled like this so it's a completely new learning experience for him. All part of the maturing process.

1 minute ago, reiks12 said:

Sox always crumble to central division contenders, its been in their DNA since the early 2000s.

None of the same players are on this team that were with the teams of the early 2000s. It’s not like Abreu remembers seeing Ordonez struggle vs Cleveland so now he’s shitting himself. So, while that’s really easy to say, it’s very stupid with absolutely no correlation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

None of the same players are on this team that were with the teams of the early 2000s. It’s not like Abreu remembers seeing Ordonez struggle vs Cleveland so now he’s shitting himself. So, while that’s really easy to say, it’s very stupid with absolutely no correlation.

Especially considering this team is doing exactly what it was constructed to do.  Struggle and suck.

2 minutes ago, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

People honestly think that this team is going to be able to compete in 2020? I just don't see it unless they sign a Machado, Harper, or Arenado plus a Front end starter or two. 

I think what's taken place in the majors and minors this year has slowed that talk a lot.  Instead of getting free agents to supplement the core, it seems more now they need a guy to lead the rest of the core.

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic