Sox @ Cleveland, 6/20, 12:10 CT

soxfan49

We knew this would be a bad season. I think you just have to let the youth play and learn. Hope we start seeing better team results in 2019. Folks are complaining about players who they they were raving about last year and praising guys they were griping  about last season. I am guessing we start seeing some of the minor league talent come up later this season and we can be excited about that 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

His velocity has disappeared of late. Oh well, was always a long shot 

Even though the guy blows chunks, that is the type of bullpen arm they need to take fliers on during the rebuild. Hit on a few and flip them. I realize they will miss on more than they hit, but that shouldn't deter them from continuing to try on those "live arm" types

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

I just don't see how they will be able to compete in 2020 without bringing in a couple big fish FA. This season is looking like a lock for 100 losses and next year is all about development as well so another 100 loss season isn't out of the question either. 

Why would that bother you if they lost that many games when it has been explained to all of us what the plan is? We haven’t been lied to by the FO on the plan. Expectations from the start of this rebuild should’ve been lowered considerably. 

What are you, and everyone else complaining about this team, pissed off at?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

I just don't see how they will be able to compete in 2020 without bringing in a couple big fish FA. This season is looking like a lock for 100 losses and next year is all about development as well so another 100 loss season isn't out of the question either. 

If you haven’t noticed, the owner does not redirect his enormous state-subsidized profits to “big fish FA”.  

11 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

Why would that bother you if they lost that many games when it has been explained to all of us what the plan is? We haven’t been lied to by the FO on the plan. Expectations from the start of this rebuild should’ve been lowered considerably. 

What are you, and everyone else complaining about this team, pissed off at?

I don't trust this FO and think it is extremely incompetent. Just a few years back Hahn and Williams were talking about some 3 year plan that never came to fruition and/or was abandoned after 2 years. They traded a guy who is the now a top five prospect in all of baseball for James Shields and then decided to switch gears and rebuild. That trade is a fire-able offense in my world. 

You seem to know what the plan is. Can you please tell me what year the Sox are expecting to compete in? I thought it was 2020, but I might have missed the memo that it got pushed back to 2011. Thank you. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Man that would be a lot of winning. Can't see them doing better than about 57-58 wins.

That's what I would guess, but you have to figure they will have a pretty good September. They always do when they aren't in contention.

I just keep looking at last years Phillies, who thought they were gradually ascending and then had a horrendous first half. They had a nice second half powered by Hoskins and then now are a competitive team.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

I just keep looking at last years Phillies, who thought they were gradually ascending and then had a horrendous first half. They had a nice second half powered by Hoskins and then now are a competitive team.

Good call, and it's not like their offense is excelling. What they have though is 5 competent starting pitchers, including an ace in Nola

2 minutes ago, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

I don't trust this FO and think it is extremely incompetent. Just a few years back Hahn and Williams were talking about some 3 year plan that never came to fruition and/or was abandoned after 2 years. They traded a guy who is the now a top five prospect in all of baseball for James Shields and then decided to switch gears and rebuild. That trade is a fire-able offense in my world. 

You seem to know what the plan is. Can you please tell me what year the Sox are expecting to compete in? I thought it was 2020, but I might have missed the memo that it got pushed back to 2011. Thank you. 

At the time of the trade Tatis wasn’t a top 300 prospect. It’s a horrible trade now because of Tatis’ surge. That couldn’t have been projected back then by anyone. Padres took a chance, and so far it’s looked good for them.

You forget that the Sox drafted Sale and got Quintana for nothing. Jury is still out, but Moncada, Kopech, and Basabe was a very good haul for Sale. No other team could’ve gotten Jimenez and Cease for Quintana. Why isn’t everyone just as excited about that deal as the Padres are in Tatis? I know I am. 

I assume “expecting to compete” means a playoff spot correct? Answering that is dependent on many factors. I’d hope after this year the Sox spend some money on proven players, not projects to flip, and make a trade or 2 that  give us a more competitive team headed into next year. That’s how I could see the Sox “competing” in 2019.

5 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

At the time of the trade Tatis wasn’t a top 300 prospect. It’s a horrible trade now because of Tatis’ surge. That couldn’t have been projected back then by anyone. Padres took a chance, and so far it’s looked good for them.

You forget that the Sox drafted Sale and got Quintana for nothing. Jury is still out, but Moncada, Kopech, and Basabe was a very good haul for Sale. No other team could’ve gotten Jimenez and Cease for Quintana. Why isn’t everyone just as excited about that deal as the Padres are in Tatis? I know I am. 

I assume “expecting to compete” means a playoff spot correct? Answering that is dependent on many factors. I’d hope after this year the Sox spend some money on proven players, not projects to flip, and make a trade or 2 that  give us a more competitive team headed into next year. That’s how I could see the Sox “competing” in 2019.

Yeah, getting Jimenez yet alone Jimenez + Cease for Quintana is a steal.

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic