Sox @ Cleveland, 6/20, 12:10 CT

soxfan49

Just now, BlackSox13 said:

Moncada had a good start to the season defensively. To me he looks like he's bringing his hitting struggles to the field with him. Dude is down but not out. 

This is probably the most accurate post in this thread.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

It’s really to the point where it’s quite challenging to motivate yourself to even care anymore...

Aside from Anderson, Lopez, Fry, Covey, Rodon and Moncada, I've felt that way the entire year.

And with Moncada's recent struggles, Anderson's free falling OPS, and Lopez's struggles vs Cleveland, it makes even that much more of a challenge to care.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

And 3-4 more bad plays that weren't given errors.  His defense is not good enough to make Madrigal and his sensational defense move elsewhere.

Well, it goes for both he and Anderson.   Neither at this point has solidified taking claim at their positions.   Anderson having the longer opportunity.  

And with how players develop in our Farm, I'd take the wait and see approach on Madrigal also. 

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is probably the most accurate post in this thread.

I'm sure it's purely coincidental but it's a bit ironic his defensive slump started right around when the Sox drafted a potential GG 2nd baseman.

Fathom you have a strange idea of how 23 year old pro athletes handle failure and success.  And, I'd note even if that's true, that somehow he's scared shitless and is all shook over Madrigal -- where the hell is Jose Abreu (and to an extent) his Latin Horse Whisperer Manager to help him out?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Fathom you have a strange idea of how 23 year old pro athletes handle failure and success.  And, I'd note even if that's true, that somehow he's scared shitless and is all shook over Madrigal -- where the hell is Jose Abreu (and to an extent) his Latin Horse Whisperer Manager to help him out?

It isn't his struggles at the plate, it is a guy who is at least a year away from having a chance at being on a major league roster.  Occam weeps.

• Thanks 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

It isn't his struggles at the plate, it is a guy who is at least a year away from having a chance at being on a major league roster.  Occam weeps.

Yet I guarantee you that if the Sox took a great defensive SS who is expected up to the majors around 2020, people would say Anderson was pressing if he went into a defensive slump after the draft.  Again, I don't think it's linked, but the timing has made it much easier to suggest Madrigal stays at where he's elite and Yoan can move.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Yet I guarantee you that if the Sox took a great defensive SS who is expected up to the majors around 2020, people would say Anderson was pressing if he went into a defensive slump after the draft.  Again, I don't think it's linked, but the timing has made it much easier to suggest Madrigal stays at where he's elite and Yoan can move.

They would be just as ridiculous.  If Moncada really is that worried about something that far in the future, he is fucked as a major leaguer because quite literally everything is going to bother him.

• Thanks 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

They would be just as ridiculous.  If Moncada really is that worried about something that far in the future, he is fucked as a major leaguer because quite literally everything is going to bother him.

Bingo.  As I've noted before, If Moncada bottoms out at a 700 OPS and a few errors in a couple weeks that's a pretty nice bottom for a 23 year old toolsy guy.  Christ, we are used to seeing prospects bottom out with negative WAR and an OPS around 600.  

It speaks to his talent that he's managed to somehow keep the ship afloat even though he's struggling mightily.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

If the Sox decide they want Madrigal to be their 2nd baseman for 2020, then they would probably start transitioning Moncada to a different position sometime next year?  It's not like we're talking about creating room for when a high school draftee might make the big league roster in 5 years.  

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic