ESPN ranks White Sox rotation worst in baseball

sin city sox fan

I have no delusions that we are one of the best, but I think the worst is inaccurate.   Bad defense doesn't help out our starters and I would put them at least 5-10 spots higher in a ranking.

30. Chicago White Sox: It's more disappointing that their young pitchers have shown so little progress than if they were just using bad veterans. The rotation has baseball's highest walk rate and lowest strikeout rate. Lucas Giolito has been a disaster, and Reynaldo Lopez's ERA masks mediocre peripherals. With luck, Carlos Rodon will put together an encouraging second half. Michael Kopech has almost 12 K/9 down in Triple-A, but he has walked more than six per and has a 5.20 ERA.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/23846667/ranking-all-30-mlb-rotations-elite

Glad to see the Sox get what they deserve in terms of embarrassing publicity. This rotation is against the spirit of baseball. It's designed to get us a top draft pick. Wish the commish would fine the Sox until it hurts for tanking.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The only thing I am surprised at is, as bad as they have been,  teams are actually worse than the White Sox. The Royals are a total train wreck and aren't exactly stocked with future reinforcements. And the Orioles tried to win and they are horrid, and will only get worse, for many, many years. 

I figured a few teams would be worse coming into this season, but I also figured the Sox were a mid 70s win team.

Edited by Dick Allen

4 hours ago, sin city sox fan said:

I have no delusions that we are one of the best, but I think the worst is inaccurate.   Bad defense doesn't help out our starters and I would put them at least 5-10 spots higher in a ranking.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/23846667/ranking-all-30-mlb-rotations-elite

And yet somebody here was asking if we had too much quality starting pitching.

Rodon, Lopez, Covey, maybe Kopech in the 2nd half.  Looking at possible minor deals for Miguel Gonzalez and Shields I’m sure.  Giolito might need some AAA time to get right again—although I’m not sure he will ever live up to the hype as a TOR starter.  Sometimes guys like that ultimately land and find success in the bullpen though so I’m not writing him off.  I think he has the stuff to be successful but I’m not sure it will be as a starter.  

2 hours ago, FT35 said:

Rodon, Lopez, Covey, maybe Kopech in the 2nd half.  Looking at possible minor deals for Miguel Gonzalez and Shields I’m sure.  Giolito might need some AAA time to get right again—although I’m not sure he will ever live up to the hype as a TOR starter.  Sometimes guys like that ultimately land and find success in the bullpen though so I’m not writing him off.  I think he has the stuff to be successful but I’m not sure it will be as a starter.  

If Hahn gets ANYTHING and I mean ANYTHING for Miguel Gonzalez they should erect a statue of him in front of the stadium. Who in the hell would want that guy? Shields will get you a decent (maybe around 12-15 in system) prospect at best. 

1 hour ago, kwolf68 said:

If Hahn gets ANYTHING and I mean ANYTHING for Miguel Gonzalez they should erect a statue of him in front of the stadium. Who in the hell would want that guy? Shields will get you a decent (maybe around 12-15 in system) prospect at best. 

Welp...he did it last year with MiGo amongst several similar posts as yours!  Maybe he can pull it off again?  Obviously he won’t get much for either of them if he’s able to get something done.  I’m thinking if he IS able to move them, it would not be to a contender, but to a team who DOES move a SP to a contender.  

19 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

The injuries to Miguel probably killed that idea.  I also think you might be a bit generous in what we can get for Shields.  I thinking something like a flawed one big tool player guy who slots at the end of a top 30 list.