Baseball in Trouble per USA Today

greg775

It's such a simple fix in my opinion. We don't need to go full nuclear and ban shifts, make strikeouts 2 strikes/walks 3 balls, or anything like that. All that needs to change is that the commercials need to be slightly shortened and pitchers need to deliver the ball in less than X seconds. (I haven't done enough research on what that number should be but watch an AL East vs AL East matchup and you'll agree with me. It's excruciating). Those changes alone can shave half an hour or so from average game length. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:00 AM, southsider2k5 said:

That article is trash.  Every single thing talked about in there is happening in every other professional sport.  The NFL is quite literally 20 minutes of actual play in 3.5 hours. Has that stopped them? Should we talk about their ratings this year?

The NBA finals was set three years ago. Did that stop people from watching the playoffs?  How about how many shots are missed with the three pointer? How about the 50 tv breaks during a game?

Seriously this was a complete waste of time. 

37 of the top 50 most watched TV shows in 2017 were NFL games. The NFL made a billion more last year than the prior.

The MLB is fine. The NFL is fine. The NBA is fine. People will always find a sport to b**** about and talk about it potentially dying, yet they stay around and we watch.

I agree with you. @greg775, this article is dogshit.

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I understand the entertainment factor completely, but isn't it more entertaining to put your team in the best position to win? It is absolutely crazy to me. The most efficient way of playing baseball is boring to some people. I find the NBA boring because there are approximately 3-4 teams per season that realistically have a chance to win a title. I find the NFL kind of boring for the same reason. From 2001-Present, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning or Ben Roethlisberger have represented the AFC in the Super Bowl 16/17 seasons. (The only exception was the 2012 Ravens. If not for a blown coverage late in a game it would have been a perfect 17/17 in that regard) A great QB in the NFL means almost as much as having a James/Durant in the NBA. Honestly, sports have become boring in general lately. You have the same teams winning over and over again. Even in the NHL, from 2009-2017 the Penguins, Blackhawks and Kings won 8/9 championships. Sports aren't about your local teams anymore, they're about watching great players and teams be great. People have to learn to separate their favorite team winning from their enjoyment of a sport, mostly because if you don't have one of those special players you aren't winning jack and shit. I think that fans should start to root for the name on the back of a jersey instead of on the front, because that is where sports is going. If you don't like it, don't watch. Otherwise you might be waiting a lifetime to see glory for your favorite team, and never see it. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/10-degrees-baseballs-attendance-woes-mlb-owners-rightfully-spooked-031815621.html

Seems like there are 1070 “Greg775bots” in the comments section on this one...

"They're going to have nerds in the dugout. And I've said it: If [Yankees general manager Brian] Cashman had any balls, he'd have done that a long time ago. Or he'd like to now. Put a nerd in uniform. Because anybody can manage today. There's 100 pitches, and then you start parading your 10 relievers in."

Edited by caulfield12