Dunning has medium elbow strain, out 6-8 weeks

southsider2k5

Ptatc, it does seem that most of these Tommy John Surgeries are being performed on young pitchers. I can't recall that many veteran hurlers, requiring this procedure. It would be interesting to see a statistic, which could provide the factual evidence. 

Ptatc, correct me if I'm wrong, but this means a slight tear?  How much at risk is he at blowing it out?  Either way, great news compared to Saturday. I'm fine with him sitting out rest of year as long as no surgery is needed and he has complete recovery.

• Heads22 changed the title to Dunning has medium elbow strain, out 6-8 weeks
5 hours ago, fathom said:

Ptatc, correct me if I'm wrong, but this means a slight tear?  How much at risk is he at blowing it out?  Either way, great news compared to Saturday. I'm fine with him sitting out rest of year as long as no surgery is needed and he has complete recovery.

The textbook definition is mild sprain about 25% tear, moderate sprain 25%to 75%, severe 75%+. After 6-8 weeks they will re-evaluate to see if he needs surgery based on how loose it is.

• Like 1

Whew, hopefully a bullet dodged for someone who is not just a great prospect but from all I've read a good kid.  Hope the Sox are overcautious with his recovery and he is able to start 2019 atop the rotation in Charlotte.      

15 hours ago, ptatc said:

The textbook definition is mild sprain about 25% tear, moderate sprain 25%to 75%, severe 75%+. After 6-8 weeks they will re-evaluate to see if he needs surgery based on how loose it is.

So wouldn't playing with a partially torn... anything, increase the risk of a full tear in the future? Sorry if I'm completely wrong on that but it just seems risky to me 

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

So wouldn't playing with a partially torn... anything, increase the risk of a full tear in the future? Sorry if I'm completely wrong on that but it just seems risky to me 

Yes it would. It just depends on if the injury can be reasonably protected, if they should continue to play. If it's an ankle Sprain there are braces that can protect against the motions, rolling the ankle, that would allow the player to continue without further damaging the ligament. The injury may take longer to heal but the risk of further damage is minimal.

Over the last decade or so we have learned that tissue does heal faster and stronger if some stress is placed upon it. To make it simple, the tissue aligns better if controlled force is placed upon it. The best example are foot or lower leg fractures. Years ago they would be in a cast for 6-8 weeks to allow healing to occur with no stress or weight. Today they are put in a walking boot as long as the fracture is not displaced. This allows for controlled stress into the fracture and allows for better healing. In bones it's a concept from Wolff's law of bone growth which was postulated 100 years ago but we've only applied it to healing recently. We've  since discovered that the same concept works for other tissues as well.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1