Just for fun - what's your post-draft Top 30?

NorthSideSox72

22 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The Top 30 was very hard this time which is a good thing. We could almost go to 40 players pretty easily. 

1. Eloy Jimenez OF

2. Michael Kopech RHP

3. Luis Robert OF

4. Nick Madrigal SS

5. Alec Hansen RHP

6. Zack Collins C

7. Dylan Cease RHP

8. Dane Dunning RHP

9. Micker Adolfo OF

10. Luis Alexander Basabe OF

11. Blake Rutherford OF

12. Steele Walker OF

13. Luis Gonzalez OF

14. Jake Burger 3B

15. Jordan Stephens RHP

16. Zack Burdi RHP

17. Seby Zavala C

18. Spencer Adams RHP

19. Gavin Sheets 1B

20. Konnor Pilkington LHP

21. Ian Hamilton RHP

22. Luis Curbelo SS

23. Tyler Johnson RHP

24. Lenyn Sosa RHP

25. Ryan Cordell OF

26. AJ Puckett RHP

27. Thyago Vieira RHP

28. Jonathan Stiever RHP

29. Laz Rivera SS

30. Bernardo Flores LHP

Just Missed: Joel Booker, Alex Call, Danny Mendick, Ian Clarkin, Jose Ruiz, Lincoln Henzman, Lency Delgado, Luis Mieses, Kade McClure, Ti'Quan Forbes 

I was surprised to see so much love for Lency Delgado this early. He's super young and in the DSL. He wasn't really a 4th round draft prospect though even though that's where the Sox took him. He's definitely a guy to watch for sure though. As far as the draft picks are concerned, they the players went in the rounds that their talent actually justifies it would have looked something like this for Sox: 1. Madrigal 2. Walker 3. Pilkington 4. Stiever 5. Davis Martin 6. Jason Bilous RHP 7. Isaiah Carranza RHP 8. Lency Delgado SS 9. Ty Greene C Cal Berkley 10. Cabera Weaver. 

What is going on with AJ Puckett? Have not heard anything about him

53 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The Top 30 was very hard this time which is a good thing. We could almost go to 40 players pretty easily. 

I was surprised to see so much love for Lency Delgado this early. He's super young and in the DSL. He wasn't really a 4th round draft prospect though even though that's where the Sox took him. He's definitely a guy to watch for sure though. As far as the draft picks are concerned, they the players went in the rounds that their talent actually justifies it would have looked something like this for Sox: 1. Madrigal 2. Walker 3. Pilkington 4. Stiever 5. Davis Martin 6. Jason Bilous RHP 7. Isaiah Carranza RHP 8. Lency Delgado SS 9. Ty Greene C Cal Berkley 10. Cabera Weaver. 

Delgado is in rookie ball, not the Dominican.

On 6/27/2018 at 7:07 PM, Dam8610 said:

Two trends I'm seeing consistently that make no sense to me, especially in concert with the other:

1) Alec Hansen dropped 4 spots essentially due to injury.

2) Jake Burger ahead of Seby Zavala despite progress by Zavala and Burger being injured.

Can someone explain? I'm not criticizing, just trying to understand the thought process. To me, Burger missing this year in High A puts him behind the development curve, where Hansen is IMO still basically on track. Neither player has done much of anything this year, but Burger essentially maintains his position (he was around 11 on preseason lists, and around 11 on every list on here) while Hansen drops 4 spots (Interestingly 8th on every list).

Hansen still has ace potential but the addition of Madrigal and success of Cease and Dunning contribute to his "fall"

Jake Burger is a first rounder from a year ago so people will likely have him high but a 2x torn Achilles isn't helping him

24 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Hansen still has ace potential but the addition of Madrigal and success of Cease and Dunning contribute to his "fall"

Jake Burger is a first rounder from a year ago so people will likely have him high but a 2x torn Achilles isn't helping him

From what patc has said, I’m not sure the Achilles injuries will affect his offensive game much and that’s what makes him an interesting prospect.  I still think he can be plenty valuable if the injuries prevent him from being at least serviceable at 3B.

I don't really find it unreasonable to lower players rankings due to injury. It increases uncertainty that they will both come back from injury the same and if it will be chronic, compared to an uninjured player.

Perhaps the most interesting area is the outfield. Looking ahead to the next decade, there are several legitimate CF prospects, headed by Robert. Basabe, Walker, Gonzales. Booker and even Cordell, although he's nearing the end of prospect age. They all possess the tools to play CF. RF will have several options, with Adolfo being the best suited, given his arm. Rutherford is probably the #1 candidate for LF, and a left handed bat, which you all know, I covet.

Notice that I left Eloy out of the outfield equation. I still feel that with all of the outfield talent, which the Sox have assembled, most of which is also defensively pretty good, that Jimenez will end up at first base. I'm not suggesting that he needs to move there, but it just seems to me to be likely. As he fills out, he will likely become a little too slow and lumbering to play good outfield defense, in fact, I understand that he really isn't very good now.

One impact of all of that outfield talent is that I don't expect to see Tilson, Engel, or even Avi as part of the future, when this team is ready to contend, providing of course, that at least a few of these prospects realize their potential. My expectation for Avi is that he will play out his pre free agent status and then move on. It's hard to imagine that they would give him a big contract, with the pipeline full of all of that promising, inexpensive talent. it's a shame that he lost so much playing time, which has all but eliminated the prospect of being able to be dealt, for a anyone of value. Providing Avi has played well, leading up to the end of next year, why not make him a qualifying offer, for one year and let him stay? If he accepts, that would provide one more year for the youngsters to develop, and postpone their service time. If he declines, the Sox get another decent Draft pick. 

Gavin Sheets is the wild card, in this scenario. If he develops and can provide a middle of the order, left handed bat, that would eliminate the possibility of Eloy playing first base. Who knows, if enough of these youngsters pan out, Eloy may be destined to become a DH. I understand that it would be very unusual for a young star to be relegated to DH'ing, but in this case, it's conceivable. Then too, there is the question of whether or not Burger can recover enough to play 3RD. If not, he may need to move to first, or maybe even DH. 

In any event, it's very intriguing to think of all that potential, without having to pencil in huge free agent, long term contracts. I don't ever remember a time, in all of the years that I have followed the Sox, when they had so many youngsters, about whom a fan could be hopeful. Maybe they will end up trading some of that excess outfield talent, in order to fill other holes. Although, if things go right, there might not be too many holes to fill. Oh well, we can dream, can't we? Hey, given this season, dreams are about all we have.

Edited by Lillian

With some many guys injured or coming back from injuries I'd have a hard time ranking them. If Hansen starts pitching well I could see him shoot up people's lists. Overall I've been very pleased with our drafts and the pitching talent we've acquired. Guys like Stephens, Battenfield, Flores & Lambert may not excite people, but I love that we're filling out our system with arms that have a legit shot at making it to the bigs. My guess is at least 1 of the above mentioned guys has more career success than our blue chip arms. 

It would be interesting to add an element to this ranking. I'd like to know what you all think about these youngsters, in terms of how their prospects have improved, or dimmed, perhaps from the time that they were each acquired. For example:

Jimenez - As bright as his prospects were, when acquired for Quintana, they have only gotten even brighter. If he can stay healthy, he could be the biggest future star, on any of our lists.

Rutherford - While originally underwhelmed by the trade, he has rebounded, to regain his top prospect status.

Adolfo - He has exceeded most everyone's expectations and now has star potential

Basabe - He seemed like a "throw in," to many but may be a huge sleeper, in that trade for Sale. He appears to be a genuine 5 tool talent.

Gonzales - He has established himself as a serious contender for a spot, anywhere in the outfield. While I didn't initially think so, it now appears that if he doesn't make it to the Majors on the Sox, it will likely be more a consequence of no room for him, rather than an assessment that he is not good enough.

Booker - He may be the biggest surprise. Although he put up good numbers, his last year at Iowa, he wasn't really very highly regarded. However, he has demonstrated legitimate 5 tool potential. 

Well, you get the idea. This exercise might help to reassure those who are either disappointed, or impatient, with the rebuild. Looking at my little example, one should be encouraged. I'd really like to see some of your astute observations and assessments, of the players, on your lists.

Edited by Lillian

Looking at the 27 eligible players in my top 30, I’ve got 19 guys I feel improved their value, four who have maintained their value, & four who have lost some value.  Overall that’s beyond fantastic progress for the system.

• 01) Jimenez, OF - UP
  • 02) Kopech, RHP - FLAT
  • 03) Robert, CF - UP
  • 04) Madrigal, SS/2B - NA
  • 05) Cease, RHP - UP
  • 06) Hansen, RHP - FLAT
  • 07) Dunning, RHP - UP
  • 08) Collins, C - UP
  • 09) Basabe, CF - UP
  • 10) Adolfo, OF - UP 
  • 11) Rutherford, OF - UP
  • 12) Burdi, RHP - FLAT
  • 13) Burger, 3B  - DOWN
  • 14) Gonzalez, OF - UP
  • 15) Zavala, C - UP
  • 16) Stephens, RHP - UP
  • 17) Walker, OF - NA
  • 18) Hamilton, RHP - UP
  • 19) Curbelo, SS/3B - UP
  • 20) Sheets, 1B - DOWN
  • 21) Johnson, RHP - UP
  • 22) Adams, RHP - DOWN
  • 23) Cordell, OF  - DOWN
  • 24) Sosa, SS - UP
  • 25) Vieira, RHP - FLAT
  • 26) Lambert, RHP - UP
  • 27) McClure, RHP - UP
  • 28) Flores, LHP - UP
  • 29) Rivera, SS - UP
  • 30) Pilkington, LHP - NA

7 minutes ago, Lillian said:

And I suspect that you may be close to changing Sheets' grade, right? 

He’s borderline down.  The lack of power is concerning to me, but I like the plate discipline he’s shown and remain hopeful that he’ll be able to tap into his 70 grade raw power with time.

• 3 weeks later...

1. Eloy Jimenez

2. Kopech

3. Robert

4. Madrigal

5. Cease

6. Adolfo

7. Dunning love him, but worried he will eventually need TJ 

8. Collins

9. Rutherford

10. Hansen

11. Basabe

12. Burdi

13. S. Walker

14 Adams

15. Burger

16. L. Gonzalez

17. Stephens

18. Hamilton

19. Sheets

20. Zavala

21. Flores

22. Curbelo

23. L. Sosa

24. Mieses

25.  Booker

26. Lambert

27. Delgado

28. Bush

29. Forbes

30. Pilkington

Just missed: Mendick, T. Johnson, L. Rivera, McClure, Call, C. Weaver, Burr, Stiever, Cordell 26 almost 27 years old,  C. Quintero, Fisher, Vieira, H. Mendonza, Comas, Puckett

Love the potential and high ceilings of some of our young hitters in the #20-#30 rankings. Crossing our fingers the White Sox continue making progress in that area. Will make for some interesting 40 man roster decisions down the road. 

Edited by PolishPrince34