FS: Who's Up Next?

NorthSideSox72

I think Stephens in next in line for a rotation spot, should one open.

When his rehab is over, I bet Gonzalez will take Volstad's spot in the pen.

I'd get Vieira up here for Minaya before too long.

Tilson goes down when Delmonico comes off DL.  

18 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think Stephens in next in line for a rotation spot, should one open.

When his rehab is over, I bet Gonzalez will take Volstad's spot in the pen.

I'd get Vieira up here for Minaya before too long.

Tilson goes down when Delmonico comes off DL.  

This won't be popular, but I hope Tilson stays as a bench bat, and Palka goes down so he can play OF every day.  I'd rather see him getting the reps in the field in Charlotte, then not playing at all in Chicago.

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This won't be popular, but I hope Tilson stays as a bench bat, and Palka goes down so he can play OF every day.  I'd rather see him getting the reps in the field in Charlotte, then not playing at all in Chicago.

I'd be fine with that too. 

6 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

This won't be popular, but I hope Tilson stays as a bench bat, and Palka goes down so he can play OF every day.  

1B Reps
I'd like to see Engel in AAA for a similar reason:  to develop a consistent hitting stroke.  Then come back and see if he can apply it against ML pitching.

10 hours ago, GreenSox said:

I'd like to see Engel in AAA for a similar reason:  to develop a consistent hitting stroke.  Then come back and see if he can apply it against ML pitching.

Honestly, why?

After 556 PA, I think we already know what he is. Unfortunately for him, he simply isn't very good at baseball.

In any case, Tilson looks to be better at baseball than Engel, & Cordell may need a look if/when he gets healthy and gets his swing back.

By the time Tilson & Cordell have had their shot at it, Basabe may be knocking on the door. I see no point to Engel having another chance, other than as injury insurance.

Of course, with this org, they'll probably stupidly keep Engel up here, & send Tilson down, even though Tilson looks to be the better player.

I think most of the movement will be on the pitching side.  Here’s who I’m thinking will be traded and who would be their replacement:

• Shields => Stephens
  • Soria => Vieira
  • Avilan => Bummer
  • Cedeno => Hamilton

There’s obviously a non-zero chance Abreu gets dealt, but I just don’t see a lot of interest in other guys unless someone is willing to overpay for multi-positional guy like Yolmer or Leury.  And with the Garcia’s already back and Nicky on his way, I think most of the positional guys will the same AAAA types who have already been up & down this season.  I’m hoping they don’t call up Jimenez and start the clock unless it’s in early July, otherwise wait until next year.  

20 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I'd rather see Tilson and Palka both stay with Engel being optioned to AAA or released 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Honestly, why?

After 556 PA, I think we already know what he is. Unfortunately for him, he simply isn't very good at baseball.

Why?  Because he was rushed.   Rushed guys pick up bad habits trying to hit ML pitching. His defense warrants taking a full look.  Now is the time. 5th OF who can only play D are a dime a dozen.  See if the Sox have something more.

There are a lot of late-blooming players around MLB. It's interesting to me that a team like the Dodgers, which has every reason not to wait for them to develop, has several of them.

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

Why?  Because he was rushed.   Rushed guys pick up bad habits trying to hit ML pitching. His defense warrants taking a full look.  Now is the time. 5th OF who can only play D are a dime a dozen.  See if the Sox have something more.

He's had 556 PA. He has been given his shot, & he's been proven to be inadequate as a hitter to hold a 25 man roster spot. He's just not good enough at baseball.

Insofar as his so-called "defense," his defensive metrics indicate he's merely average. (I suspect that we as SOX fans are so accustomed to poor defense that anyone who is average gets overrated by us and the stupid media.)

That aside, there are more deserving options that need playing time to find out what they are: Tilson, Cordell, & Leury all need to be vetted to see if any of them are a part of the future or not.

With full apologies to Adam and to the Engel family, he's had his shot, & he simply isn't good enough. He can remain  the AAAA OF insurance policy until we need a 40 man spot. Thereafter, he can inherit the Jacob May DFA role.

• Like 1