Wayne Rooney

On his way to join DC United , no where near the player he was , the football brain is still there , the body isn't unfortunately .

Wayne played for my club Everton , at 16 the street footballing kid was released onto the Premier League pitches and proceeded to terrorise defences , we had never seen anything like it , he reminded me of the young Mike Tyson , rough , tough and super talented .  At the 2004 Euro Championships Rooney now 18 was sensational but he was callously nobbled and with it England's chance of winning. After the tournament Everton agreed to a huge fee from Man Utd , very disappointing but inevitable.

Wayne Rooney has had awful press in his career , a lot justified , you can take the kid out of the ghetto kid you can't always take the ghetto out of the kid, but he went on to be Man Utd and England's all time goalscorer a great achievement as he hardly played as a striker , he won everything in club football.  He may have played for Manchester Utd but he was still an Everton supporter , his kids were brought up as Evertonians and his return to Everton last season should have been a two or three year swansong but the club was in turmoil and it wasn't to be.

So go west Wayne and give 'em what you got left , all the best.

You mentioned how Rooney's transfer to Man U was inevitable. I've always wondered how fans of the lesser known teams deal with knowing any time they have a good player, they will be sold to one of the giants within a few years. Does it make it harder to remain a loyal fan to a team like Everton?

1 hour ago, joejoedairy said:

Does it make it harder to remain a loyal fan to a team like Everton

Not at all , it's in the blood , it no longer need happen as the TV money has made all the Prem teams rich these last couple of years.  Now players move for a bigger wage and are pushed by their agents who get an obscene cut , Pogba's agent got 40 million plus .

2 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

Does anyone over there care at all about MLS?

There is no media coverage at all , its not a case of caring we are just oblivious of the MLS , time zones don't help . There will no doubt be a few bulletins about Rooney as we had with David Beckham .

5 hours ago, Bazox said:

There is no media coverage at all , its not a case of caring we are just oblivious of the MLS , time zones don't help . There will no doubt be a few bulletins about Rooney as we had with David Beckham .

Maybe the better question is do you think people would have any interest in seeing these older "stars" play. Im more just trying to figure out if what MLS is doing makes any sense. I personally think that they should be going after younger players from Latin/South America. 

7 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

Maybe the better question is do you think people would have any interest in seeing these older "stars" play. Im more just trying to figure out if what MLS is doing makes any sense. I personally think that they should be going after younger players from Latin/South America. 

The old big name players coming from outside are purely to increase attendances , to move the MLS forward and get international interest they must apply for inclusion in the Copa Libertadores or whatever the top Mexican / Central american club sides compete in . The European leagues are all geared to getting into the following years European Champions League. The MLS winner/runners-up competing outside the MLS in a Champions League equivalent * would be a huge boost to the game in the States and surely attract younger players from around the world.

* I'm presuming this is not the case at the moment ?

27 minutes ago, Bazox said:

The old big name players coming from outside are purely to increase attendances , to move the MLS forward and get international interest they must apply for inclusion in the Copa Libertadores or whatever the top Mexican / Central american club sides compete in . The European leagues are all geared to getting into the following years European Champions League. The MLS winner/runners-up competing outside the MLS in a Champions League equivalent * would be a huge boost to the game in the States and surely attract younger players from around the world.

* I'm presuming this is not the case at the moment ?

They have one for CONCACAF, which includes Mexico and all of the Central American countries, but not South America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONCACAF_Champions_League

1 hour ago, LittleHurt05 said:

They have one for CONCACAF, which includes Mexico and all of the Central American countries, but not South America.

Not a lot more than they can do then really , I believe the schools are playing more soccer , the leagues are increasing , just got to catch up with the other three major team sports.

4 hours ago, Bazox said:

Not a lot more than they can do then really , I believe the schools are playing more soccer , the leagues are increasing , just got to catch up with the other three major team sports.

I think we'll see this happen during the back end of our lifetimes.

American Football, while a great game, has inherent injury risks that cannot be mitigated without significantly altering the nature of that game. By extension, youth American Football and school-sponsored programs will have to either change the game, or face insane liability insurance costs in the future. Fewer and fewer parents [to include former American football players] want to see their kids have premature neurological issues as a result of playing American football.

By extension, I'd imagine that the other team sports [Baseball, Basketball, Soccer] will have more kids participating who once played American Football in the past.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2018 at 2:32 PM, bmags said:

I read an article about how the MLS strategy of getting washed up stars while bringing in temporary attendance is long-term unwise and i buy that.

How old of an article is that? If it’s a recent article then it seems like a lazy article. 

That may have been true in the mid 2000s through the the Beckham area but not really true anymore. Teams have figured out which players still have something left in the tank and which players are done and looking for an easy paycheck. 

Last year everyone thought John Terry was MLS bound and no team wanted him. Steven Garrard was a bad signing but it’s nowhere near the levels from years ago. And MLS fans aren’t that dumb anymore. 

Edited by zenryan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wayne did this the other day:

I think MLS is finding a better balance of getting the older stars and some young up and coming talent. Atlanta is loaded with South American studs in the front half of their 20s. Meanwhile, Zlatan has been terrific on the field and Rooney did this.

I think it's important to do both, even at this stage of MLS. Maybe another player can make the play Rooney did on this play, but it's only getting a fraction of the attention if it's not Wayne Rooney. Get a big name star, make sure he has something left in the tank, and get the younger players around him. Getting those guys is like having a multiplier on your marketing. MLS isn't established enough (even 20+ years in) to turn that kind of stuff down.

There's still a lot of things that frustrate me with MLS (mostly the complicated cap structure), but I don't think bringing in guys like Schweinsteiger, Zlatan and Rooney is a problem. Just do the rest of the roster better and it's not a problem.

On 6/29/2018 at 12:59 PM, Two-Gun Pete said:

I think we'll see this happen during the back end of our lifetimes.

American Football, while a great game, has inherent injury risks that cannot be mitigated without significantly altering the nature of that game. By extension, youth American Football and school-sponsored programs will have to either change the game, or face insane liability insurance costs in the future. Fewer and fewer parents [to include former American football players] want to see their kids have premature neurological issues as a result of playing American football.

By extension, I'd imagine that the other team sports [Baseball, Basketball, Soccer] will have more kids participating who once played American Football in the past.

The concussion issue has changed soccer as well. Most youth leagues have eliminated headers because the concussion incidence in youth soccer was second only to football. This has dramatically reduced the incidence of concussions but has fundamentally  changed the game.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:41 AM, danman31 said:

Maybe another player can make the play Rooney did on this play,

Yes anybody could do it but after 40 years of watching soccer in UK I've never seen that happen before , usually the player scores or just misses at the empty goal . This all came about because Rooney pre-guessed the scenario , the  goal assist was the icing on the cake.

On 8/14/2018 at 4:08 AM, ptatc said:

The concussion issue has changed soccer as well. Most youth leagues have eliminated headers because the concussion incidence in youth soccer was second only to football. This has dramatically reduced the incidence of concussions but has fundamentally  changed the game.

Meh, kids shouldn't play sports the same way adults do.

I don't think no-headers-in-youth-soccer will significantly change soccer as much as CTE has changed American Football.

Hell, it isn't even "just" the concussion issue for American Football, as it is the summation of sub-concussive hits making your 17 year old have CTE playing American Football.

21 hours ago, Bazox said:

Yes anybody could do it but after 40 years of watching soccer in UK I've never seen that happen before , usually the player scores or just misses at the empty goal . This all came about because Rooney pre-guessed the scenario , the  goal assist was the icing on the cake.

Ya, that was one of the better plays I've ever seen when you include everything he did and the time/score situation. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...