6/28 Games - Stephens/Hansen/Martinez

bmags

45 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...are you actually suggesting 22 is old for High A?  Regardless, a 12% BB rate & a 16% K rate is pretty good for a guy with 70 grade raw power.  Maybe elite was too strong of a word, but the kid has demonstrated plus plate discipline no matter how you slice it.

A 22 year old in high a with 70 grade raw power should have more than 4 homers at the end of June. Sheets is looking more and more like a 6th or 7th round talent that the Sox took in the 2nd. 

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I really like Hansen, but I could see it happening.  Kopech is going nowhere, the org seems super high on Cease now, and Dunning probably has the highest floor in the ceiling if healthy.  I could see Hansen being the odd man out if they can add a cost controlled star.

Yeah, I haven't seen him much live to really give an opinion on him.  Tonight was one of the first times, but it's hard to really form an opinion given his rustiness and the horrible Barons video.  One thing that I'm sure we've all noticed in watching the game logs is that it's basically a double whenever someone reaches base against him.

1 minute ago, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

A 22 year old in high a with 70 grade raw power should have more than 4 homers at the end of June. Sheets is looking more and more like a 6th or 7th round talent that the Sox took in the 2nd. 

Something that the Sox drafting philosophy the last few years has created is the sense that they better immediately produce in the minors given their age/college status.  If Sheets is still not hitting for power a year from now, then by all means, the pick can be ripped.  When I've seen him hit on TV, I don't really like his stance.  Seems really easy for pitchers to get him to chop the ball on the ground.

Just now, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

Where is the power though? Has the kid hit a homer yet this year?

I don't think he's close to being 100%.  Also I don't think he's going to be a huge power hitter.  If he can be a player that hits .265 with 15 homers and steals 30 bases while playing CF, that would be a great investment.

59 minutes ago, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

Where is the power though? Has the kid hit a homer yet this year?

Are you seriously complaining about a kid who has just played 20 games this year coming back from a hand injury?

He literally said last week himself that he's still being bothered by a sore wrist, which forced him to lower his hands and resulted in more ground balls and line drives.

1 hour ago, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

Raw power does not equate to game power. Players learn to tap into their raw power as they get more experience. If the raw power is there, there is hope that he can hit for more power in the future. A kid with 50 hit tool, 70 raw power and strong plate discipline is not a 6th, 7th round pick. 

9 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Raw power does not equate to game power. Players learn to tap into their raw power as they get more experience. If the raw power is there, there is hope that he can hit for more power in the future. A kid with 50 hit tool, 70 raw power and strong plate discipline is not a 6th, 7th round pick. 

Thank you.  Sheets could be a total flop, but he did hit 21 HRs for Wake Forrest his junior year.  There is reason to hope the game power eventually materializes with a wooden bat.

• bmags unpinned this topic