6/28 Games - Stephens/Hansen/Martinez

bmags

4 hours ago, bmags said:

He had a hand injury and he’s played like 15 games. This whining tonight is ridiculous.

It's crazy is what it is. I know interest in the minor league teams is great and all but let's not forget these guys are all works in progress and in their 1st year or 2 in professional ball and will make changes to their games along the way. Collins has already made a series of publicized changes. If they all (pitchers and hitters) just were all great from the get go they'd be breezing through the system. They all have to fail at some point to understand nothing comes easy.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
grammar

1 hour ago, Quinarvy said:

What I'm getting from SoxTalk:

Why aren't all of our minor leaguers hitting like 1994-1998 Frank Thomas?

I kinda miss the good old school days on the FS board. Love that the system is good and alot of posters are interested in the minor leaguers (especially when it used to not be like that) but some of the annoyance from some who don't understand the ups and downs and/or current situations, certain guys as a whole from not seeing a prospect(s), etc. 

Reminds me of Hawks fans from the dark ages to the "bandwagon" fans. :lol:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Did a wrist injury happen after or does that injury affect the wrist? Unsure where the wrist injury stuff came into play.

There wasn't a wrist injury as far as I've read. 

Some soreness continues to bother Robert, normal muscle soreness in the initial playing process after having his hand immobilized for an extended stretch. But there's no concern on the part of Robert or the White Sox.

"Just a little bit in my swing because of the soreness, some balls that I can usually hit harder and put in the air," said Robert of being hampered at all. "But because of the soreness in my wrist, I'm lowering my hands more than I used to and that's generating more ground balls and line drives. I'm working through it, and physically I'm feeling good."

We shall go with the exact quote...

1 hour ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

He had a sprained thumb ligament, but said himself has also been bothered by wrist soreness. I am not sure when or how that came aboutl

Maybe it was compensating when he first came back and it got sore. Thanks.

12 hours ago, fathom said:

I don't think he's close to being 100%.  Also I don't think he's going to be a huge power hitter.  If he can be a player that hits .265 with 15 homers and steals 30 bases while playing CF, that would be a great investment.

12 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I fully expect more power than that.

I expect higher average than that.

Everyone is infatuated with the Top 100, I included, and as more analysis and information is out there, the actual game itself is almost taking a backseat. 

I don't mind bunting and small ball at the lower levels as I think a little more game IQ can be useful.  We saw yesterday that Moncada has no clue how to bunt.....should he ever bunt, probably not if he reaches his ceiling,  but what harm is there in knowing how to?  If this is who he is laying down a bunt with his speed does not hurt...as we saw though he has no chance of getting a bunt down.  With a lefty on the mound and his inability to actually hit right handed a push bunt is not a bad option.  

13 hours ago, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

Where is the power though? Has the kid hit a homer yet this year?

This is such a ridiculous comment. I can't believe you actually thought this was worth posting. Especially with what has been written and what he said himself.

2 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Everyone is infatuated with the Top 100, I included, and as more analysis and information is out there, the actual game itself is almost taking a backseat. 

I don't mind bunting and small ball at the lower levels as I think a little more game IQ can be useful.  We saw yesterday that Moncada has no clue how to bunt.....should he ever bunt, probably not if he reaches his ceiling,  but what harm is there in knowing how to?  If this is who he is laying down a bunt with his speed does not hurt...as we saw though he has no chance of getting a bunt down.  With a lefty on the mound and his inability to actually hit right handed a push bunt is not a bad option.  

I love that they are running like crazy in W-S. Try it out there.

28 minutes ago, bmags said:

I love that they are running like crazy in W-S. Try it out there.

Me too and the thing is when I thought it was great Roberts was showing off the wheels I'd get comments like but but he could get injured. Same thing early in the season when I thought the Sox should steal more this year.  The Sox have a lot of speed and to not use at every level when you should be learning and perfecting base stealing techniques would be ludicrous. I know Robert has had his share of nagging injuries already but to not use and develop his skills is just almost as damaging to me as an injury.

6 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I kinda miss the good old school days on the FS board. Love that the system is good and alot of posters are interested in the minor leaguers (especially when it used to not be like that) but some of the annoyance from some who don't understand the ups and downs and/or current situations, certain guys as a whole from not seeing a prospect(s), etc. 

Reminds me of Hawks fans from the dark ages to the "bandwagon" fans. :lol:

I think we need to exercise patience. It's a learning process for the more casuals fans too.A guy like me lives and breathes baseball and I pride myself on my knowledge of the game and take a realistic/optimistic view on most subjects . Game threads make me crazy some times. More fans is a good thing. Just take a teachers point of view rather than an" OMG are you nuts ?" viewpoint.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, flavum said:

Nice catch. Forbes needs to drop the bat and run hard. 

Yea he does  but sometimes you just have to watch. I didn't play a ton of baseball no little league or organized ball ever but I was an athlete with a Chris Sale body. Loved hitting and making great catches and hitting the long ball when I'd play "fast pitch" or asphalt ball or softball. Sometimes you just amaze yourself especially when I got older and was playing softball in my late 40's and hitting the ball farther than I ever had because of the composite bats. I miss playing can you tell ? :P

16 hours ago, fathom said:

Hansen pulled, didn't make it out of 4th. 5 walks, 2 wild pitches....hopefully he's truly healthy and gets into a rhythm soon.  He needs to keep that status high so he can be traded :)

Eh, I could see Hansen being traded at some point, but [assuming health and continued progression] I can also see him "passing up" some of the others in the SP depth chart. [Thinking Fulmer, Stephens, and Giolito if he can't reliably & repeatably master his command/control; Kopech still has a measure of 'reliever risk,' if he can't get his BB/9 down, & develop his offspeed stuff as well.]

I can also see Hansen being dealt once he's made it to Chicago, OR, Rodon being dealt before/instead of Hansen. On balance, I'm pleased that this system isn't down to hoping on one or two SP prospects to make it any more. Its nice to have depth and options. 😁

• bmags unpinned this topic