2018-2019 J2 Intl Signing Period - White Sox Preview

NorthSideSox72

July 2nd will mark the beginning of a new signing period for international amateur prospects. The White Sox are in a penalty phase but are still lined up with some talented players they can sign under the per-player cap.

James gives you a wonderfully detailed picture here - how the system works, what rules have changed, what the Sox can and cannot do, and which players they are linked to. Read it and be prepared for Monday!

"Due to the uncertainty of when Robert would become available to teams, the White Sox weren't able to offer deals to players of note during the last period. "

I've seen that sentence a few times and wonder what it means. I know its supposed to mean something like since they were trying to get Robert and he would cost a lot that the money wasn't there for others ? I just find it somewhat curious . What other teams were in on Robert ? How did their international draft class look that year. Did all their signings come before or after Robert was signed ? Since the Sox went over the cap anyway what difference would it have made if they signed more guys .Did it really have to be Robert or bust ?

Just seems like the company line is being taken as truth when more research into other teams who were in on Robert still probably had signed guys before Robert and maybe after also, Sox could've done the same right ?

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

"Due to the uncertainty of when Robert would become available to teams, the White Sox weren't able to offer deals to players of note during the last period. "

I've seen that sentence a few times and wonder what it means. I know its supposed to mean something like since they were trying to get Robert and he would cost a lot that the money wasn't there for others ? I just find it somewhat curious . What other teams were in on Robert ? How did their international draft class look that year. Did all their signings come before or after Robert was signed ? Since the Sox went over the cap anyway what difference would it have made if they signed more guys .Did it really have to be Robert or bust ?

Just seems like the company line is being taken as truth when more research into other teams who were in on Robert still probably had signed guys before Robert and maybe after also, Sox could've done the same right ?

The main difference is the other teams that were in on Robert were already over the penalty so they knew they were limited in negotiations. The white Sox weren’t, so if they missed out they’d either be able to pay up for a bunch of players, or, when they had signed him they only could sign those with $300k. Being in between clearly affected their strategy.

18 hours ago, bmags said:

The main difference is the other teams that were in on Robert were already over the penalty so they knew they were limited in negotiations. The white Sox weren’t, so if they missed out they’d either be able to pay up for a bunch of players, or, when they had signed him they only could sign those with $300k. Being in between clearly affected their strategy.

To add to this as well: the Sox signed Guerrero, Mieses, Comas, Sosa etc during the 2016 signing period. Robert ended up being a part of the same period. There was chance that he would be in 2017 period though. That changes things. They offered him $26 million in 2016. If he were in 2017, he would have been limited under the new CBA but the WhiteSox would have likely offered him their entire pool of close to $5 million. The White Sox couldn't bank on Robert being in the 2016 class and agree to a bunch of deals with prospects in 2017 for $700-$2 million just in case Robert ended up in 2017 class. He was their top target and they needed to figure out how to move money to do it. Cardinals were the other club that was in until the end FWIW. 

This is the most recent list, 3 Cubans on the list.  We had better watch out or our baseball team will be deported.

Chicago White Sox 
Luis Pineda, c, Venezuela 
Anthony Espinoza, ss, Venezuela 
Bryan Ramos, 3b, Cuba -- $300,000 signing bonus
Alberto Lemay Bernal, 1B, Cuba -- $250,000 signing bonus
Harold Diaz, ss, Cuba