Swihart?

bruni

Red Sox say he's now available.  He's 26, under team control through 2022 and can be a Swiss army knife type player.  Buy low on him (yes, I know the terrible batting average) and ship Shields to the Red Sox who need to fortify the back end of the rotation?  And remember, before I hear from 50 of you claiming Shields is current 'worth' more that this, may I remind you that he's not. 

Have at it, White Sox nation!

5 minutes ago, bruni said:

Red Sox say he's now available.  He's 26, under team control through 2022 and can be a Swiss army knife type player.  Buy low on him (yes, I know the terrible batting average) and ship Shields to the Red Sox who need to fortify the back end of the rotation?  And remember, before I hear from 50 of you claiming Shields is current 'worth' more that this, may I remind you that he's not. 

He's been available.

29 minutes ago, bruni said:

I was going to tell you Shields is worth less than this, but I'd be ecstatic to get a player like this for Big Game James.

The Red Sox have a decent amount of pitching. They have 4 solid starters and 3 options for the 5th. I think they will wait till All Star break and see if Pomerantz or Wright will claim the 5th spot. If neither is healthy, then maybe they would want Shields. 

Swihart can catch and play outfield and 1st but he is average defensively and his bat is useless. But if Hahn is interested, he could grab him and let him play everyday and see if the bat comes around when he plays regularly.  He is a .234 AAA hitter w 480+ PA. A weak AAA hitter does not usually translate to succes in the majors. 

I think I hold Shields for a better offer but I would take a shot at Swihart if he gets DFA'd.