Trade Deadline

WBWSF

24 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And I know he hasn’t been awesome this year at 3B, but I truly believe the ability is there to be a plus defender at the hot corner.  And he’s most definitely a plus defender at 2B.  He’s a guy Joe Maddon would love to have on his roster and those reasons apply for most NL teams where versatility is extremely valuable.  I really think there will be teams interested in him.

I think his range is very good, the arm is the one thing that scares me over there.  I don't think it is even league average for 3B.  It is enough to play there as needed, but I wouldn't call it a typical 3B arm either.

36 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm curious how people define what is good value for a player like Yolmer vs. scraps.

It's easy for me when we have a top player going to the market, I want top 50 prospects. And for a good player/good contract, I want a top 100.

But for players like Yolmer, as a fan, I have no idea what he would get back. My hunch is that, unlike relievers at the deadline, teams would often view a decent hitting versatile infielder as a nice to have, but not a need to have.

For that I don't see the return being that good, or little leverage.

For me, I can only judge a return based on player type. It wasn't my favorite strategy last year, but I at least understood the using of assets to give ML-ready, slightly below average but blocked prospects such as gillaspie and cordell time in ML to see if there's something there.

With 3.5 years control left and still young, Sanchez is already basically that. Instead I'd prefer younger players with some elite tools. Though unlikely they ever make an impact as good as Yolmer

Brewers example, I would have trouble saying we got scraps if we acquired position players such as Je'Von Ward and Carlos Rodriguez.

I'd err on the same side for pitching, but I think I'd also make the case for going after like Medeiros and Zack Brown, players with success in AA but profiles that say they are more likely bullpen. Get them here where we have more leeway to grow them as starters.

Anyway point is these are backend top 30 guys from Brewers. Is that scraps? I don't know. I'd feel fine not trading sanchez for some of them, but I'd also understood if they were.

Unless the White Sox have decided they really, really like those guys, yes, that's scraps to me, and I would not trade Sanchez for a couple back end of the top 30 guys in a system like where theirs is right now. That doesn't really make us likely to be better long term.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Here’s the way I see it.  The infield is going to get super crowded in the next couple years.  Madrigal should move fast and should be ready by the start of 2020.  At that point Yolmer becomes a super-utility guy which is valuable, but will likely not be our most pressing need at that time.  He’s also going to be much more expensive by then.  That doesn’t mean we should automatically dump him, but if there is a team that sees him as a young, versatile 3 WAR infielder with three years of control and is willing to pay for him as such, we’d be crazy not to consider it.  Ultimately anything we can get for Yolmer can be used as part of a package to add a cost-controlled impact talent.  Again, I really like Yolmer, but selling high on him at this point in the rebuild represents better utilization of our assets IMO.

Who do you see playing third for the Sox in 2020?

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

With Madrigal in the fold, I don’t think they’d settle for Moustakas.  I think they either go big or stick with internal options.

Not to change the subject, but if Avi keeps crushing it would some one make a fair offer for him?

I'd only trade Yolmer if they get something legit.  I think he's better than his #s, but that may be my bias because I like his game in general.
I would think Leury would be attractive to other teams...he can play CF and SS.  Now while I wouldn't trade him for scraps, I would expect that much either.

We may have a MI infield log jam in the future, but it's not here yet.  Maybe Rodon can play - I didn't really notice much, but some said they liked his game.

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Honestly, I’m hoping they go out and sign Machado or Arenado.  If that doesn’t happen (which we can’t bank on), I could see Moncada moving over there with Madrigal holding down 2B.

They better go hard after Machado and/or Arenado. No reason not to. 

Moving Moncada to third sounds like an experiment that could go horribly wrong. 

10 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

After what we saw last offseason, keeping Avisail Garcia long term may not be nearly as expensive as once feared, which means there's no benefit to the White Sox to even talk about such things right now. He could wind up getting Moustakas money, which is a pittance.

Finally. A Greg-like post. You'd think I wrote it.

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think his range is very good, the arm is the one thing that scares me over there.  I don't think it is even league average for 3B.  It is enough to play there as needed, but I wouldn't call it a typical 3B arm either.

Agree with this. I think two things allow Yolmer to Playa solid third base 1) while his arm is weak for the position he is accurate with it 2) he's a very slick fielder which helps on those plays where he has to come in to get the ball and throw to first. His fielding helps with hot smashes as well. 

13 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Agree with this. I think two things allow Yolmer to Playa solid third base 1) while his arm is weak for the position he is accurate with it 2) he's a very slick fielder which helps on those plays where he has to come in to get the ball and throw to first. His fielding helps with hot smashes as well. 

He he great footwork,  range, and hands. That makes up some for the arm, but he has more of a middle infield arm vs 3B.

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He he great footwork,  range, and hands. That makes up some for the arm, but he has more of a middle infield arm vs 3B.

His throws have been fine. He's had more difficulty with his decision making than expected, but that's due to inexperience. I don't consider his range to be anything special.

42 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Agree with all of this. I think we're lucky that Yolmer's versatility allows him to play a passable third base. I'll take him over previous third baseman like Davidson and Delmonico any day.

1 hour ago, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

Setting the third base bar real high there..

I didn't set the bar, the Sox did. Yolmer is an easy win at third base since his competition was Davidson, Delmonico and Skole coming out of ST. 

Maybe Ti'Quan Forbes  is in the running (among in-house options)  for the 3B spot in 2020.

IMO Madrigal will most likely be our  second basemen and T.A will stay  at short.

Moncada ? Not sure.   With Madrigal coming up perhaps  late 2019 or 2020,  Moncada  has time to prove  second belongs to him, or not.

10 hours ago, tray said:

Maybe Ti'Quan Forbes  is in the running (among in-house options)  for the 3B spot in 2020.

IMO Madrigal will most likely be our  second basemen and T.A will stay  at short.

Moncada ? Not sure.   With Madrigal coming up perhaps  late 2019 or 2020,  Moncada  has time to prove  second belongs to him, or not.

IMO Madrigal is not going to EVER beat out Moncada in terms of production/ability. Thus Moncada should be the Sox second baseman a long long time. However, let's say the Sox do decide both players will be part of the program 10 years or so. That necessitates a move for one of the two. Is it possible they will wait til after this offseason to see if they sign Machado (LOL, no way they'll pay what it takes to get him and I'm not even suggesting they should) or Moustakas (who they could sign to a reasonable contract if the fans think he's not too old; he actually is way too old in most fans' eyes, turning 30 in September). If they don't sign a third baseman, do they simply switch Moncada to 3B or Madrigal to 3B when it's time for Madrigal to come up to the bigs? That would mean a third baseman with no power in Madrigal or a third baseman who probably would be furious to be moved in Moncada? Interesting stuff.     I could see a time the trade people call for a trade of Moncada or Madrigal or even Timmy (with Madrigal at SS) if both Moncada and Madrigal are deemed second basemen of the future in the bigs and there's no room for both of them.

Edited by greg775

Predictions: 

Cedeno to the Red Sox for SS Antoni Flores

Soria to the Dodgers for C Will Smith and 3B Rylan Bannon

Shields and Avilan to the Braves for 2B Derian Cruz and a flier

If healthy Avi Garcia to the Phillies for LHP Jojo Romero, LHP Kyle Young, and a flier.

On 7/5/2018 at 8:31 AM, southsider2k5 said:

Without a great arm at 3rd base it really limits your ability to play back to cut off  balls down the line where you see the guys with cannons go into foul territory or dive down the line then gun it to 1st for the out. The really good ones can do that.

On 7/5/2018 at 9:00 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

Honestly, I’m hoping they go out and sign Machado or Arenado.  If that doesn’t happen (which we can’t bank on), I could see Moncada moving over there with Madrigal holding down 2B.

Machado keeps saying he is a SS for now and the future. Pretty selfish when you were gold glove caliber at 3b yet only so so at SS. Team first Machado .

1 hour ago, GGajewski18 said:

Predictions: 

Cedeno to the Red Sox for SS Antoni Flores

Soria to the Dodgers for C Will Smith and 3B Rylan Bannon

Shields and Avilan to the Braves for 2B Derian Cruz and a flier

If healthy Avi Garcia to the Phillies for LHP Jojo Romero, LHP Kyle Young, and a flier.

More like pipe dreams

58 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Machado keeps saying he is a SS for now and the future. Pretty selfish when you were gold glove caliber at 3b yet only so so at SS. Team first Machado .

He'll be playing whatever position the team that pays him the most tells him to play next year.