Trade Deadline

WBWSF

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-trade-deadline-matters-less-than-ever/

Basically explains what I've been seeing: Top 100 prospects are gold and are to be hoarded, veterans are not under consideration as pieces to be added due to inflated salary and declining performance. Eventually, what you have is what you have, and FA is the only way to improve without selling controllable pieces for other controllable pieces. Even FA might not improve teams all that much. Be prepared for a long labor fight in 2021-22. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Basically explains what I've been seeing: Top 100 prospects are gold and are to be hoarded, veterans are not under consideration as pieces to be added due to inflated salary and declining performance. Eventually, what you have is what you have, and FA is the only way to improve without selling controllable pieces for other controllable pieces. Even FA might not improve teams all that much. Be prepared for a long labor fight in 2021-22. 

I'm expecting a lockout. 

19 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Solution:  Let them juice again

4 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

He'll be playing whatever position the team that pays him the most tells him to play next year.

Huh? No. He'll play wherever HE wants to because he CAN dictate that considering HE chooses who he wants to sign with. Being a free agent doesn't mean you have to sign with whomever pays you the most, not sure if you're being facetious or if you genuinely didn't know that. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fredmanrique said:

If the Yankees really do get Machado, maybe there is a larger deal where Yanks also get Abreu and we can get Andujar.

Include Fry, Soria, whoever to add a top young guy at 3b

I'd be shocked if the Yankees wanted Abreu  . 1st of all he isn't left handed and the Yankes almost always want a LH hitting 1st baseman. They could go after Moustaskas and play him at first. Or just stay with Bird.I'd also be shocked if they gave up Angujar in any trade except for a top notch starting pitcher.

22 hours ago, fredmanrique said:

If the Yankees really do get Machado, maybe there is a larger deal where Yanks also get Abreu and we can get Andujar.

Include Fry, Soria, whoever to add a top young guy at 3b

Why does everyone on here jump to the conclusion that the Sox are somehow a part of every deal in some way?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Why does everyone on here jump to the conclusion that the Sox are somehow a part of every deal in some way?

Well the Sox are still looking to get as many young, controllable prospects as possible so it would seem logical to assume they are aggressively looking at all potential options.

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Well the Sox are still looking to get as many young, controllable prospects as possible so it would seem logical to assume they are aggressively looking at all potential options.

My point is the Sox aren't involved in every two team deal. It's always, "If this team trades for Player A, I wonder if Player B will go to the White Sox," drawing a correlation out of nothing.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1

If the Sox had more desirable assets to trade I can see throwing the Sox into the speculation, but they don't. We're most likely talking about Abreu, Shields, Soria, Avilan, Santiago, Cedeno as what the Sox are looking to potentially offer in a trade. Abreu could bring back something decent but the rest, nah ain't happening. Fry and Sanchez could bring back quality talent but I doubt they are going anywhere.

I'd love to snag Brett Phillips from Milwaukee but I don't see a match there. It's most likely Milwaukee is offering him as the secondary piece in a package for Machado.

7 hours ago, BlackSox13 said:

If the Sox had more desirable assets to trade I can see throwing the Sox into the speculation, but they don't. We're most likely talking about Abreu, Shields, Soria, Avilan, Santiago, Cedeno as what the Sox are looking to potentially offer in a trade. Abreu could bring back something decent but the rest, nah ain't happening. Fry and Sanchez could bring back quality talent but I doubt they are going anywhere.

I'd love to snag Brett Phillips from Milwaukee but I don't see a match there. It's most likely Milwaukee is offering him as the secondary piece in a package for Machado.

Jose Abreu is simply not going to bring back anything decent. I don't care if he turns it around tonight and has a good next 2 weeks, you cannot hide the 42 game stretch where he hit .200 with a .510 OPS. If you're a contender, even if his numbers are great the next 2 weeks, you're going to worry that he's going to snap back into that guy sometime down the stretch. If he doesn't turn it around literally right now, then you won't even be able to give him up for salary relief. Soria and Shields will be traded, Soria will bring back something decent but probably not in the top 20 of our system, Shields will bring back a bit of salary relief to build equity with ownership, and he might not go until the waiver deadline.