6/30 Gamethread - @ Rangers - Rodon vs Big Sexy

If Renteria is so good that we have to keep him, then why did he put the team's worst pitcher in the game when it was still winnable and allow him to run up the Rangers score?

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

At least we will always have Rondon's save vs the Cubs. He's probably DFA'd in next 12 hours.

I would hope sooner but I don’t see how we can keep this guy on the team. He is a gas can

18 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

He certaintly hasn't regressed in value, that much is obvious. There's probably not one person in Boston who is regretting that trade now. 

I don’t see Sale regressing either. An arm/elbow issue is always possible but we knew Boston was getting one of the games best pitchers. Hopefully in a year or three the return we got is equal

1 minute ago, Timmy U said:

Fathom, you are correct, sir.  I am just sick of watching mediocre retreads that we hope to trade.  I don’t even want to watch him in Charlotte.  When is Burdi supposed to be ready to see game action?

They won't get anything of substance for Gomez, as they waited far too long to call him up (he's not very good anyways).  Burdi won't pitch during the season most likely.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

He picked it up for the last ten feet, but it was too late. I will be shocked if he starts tomorrow.

Sox prospects have a long way to go to make any significant impact in this turd of a MLB team. Of those that are here, Moncada's development seems to have absolutely stalled; Anderson needs a LOT of work and Giolito has 5th starter stuff. 

27 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

I don’t see Sale regressing either. An arm/elbow issue is always possible but we knew Boston was getting one of the games best pitchers. Hopefully in a year or three the return we got is equal

At a minimum the value needs to be equal. Although we should expect value from Moncada, Kopech, Basabe to exceed Sale -- otherwise why bother unless we expected to come ahead

1 minute ago, The Ginger Kid said:

Sox prospects have a long way to go to make any significant impact in this turd of a MLB team. Of those that are here, Moncada's development seems to have absolutely stalled; Anderson needs a LOT of work and Giolito has 5th starter stuff. 

This coaching staff, from Renteria all the way down to Capra, was put in place to develop these young guys.  They are failing at doing this SO FAR, as not only is the performance been bad basically across the board, but the fundamentals have been awful.  Having to bench numerous players due to lack of hustle is embarrassing, as is sitting the major building blocks and calling them into the "principal's office" to tell them they need to sit and watch how others focus during games is not a good sign.  These last two games have been inexcusable, as half the team has looked like little leaguers.  Tilson legitimately looks like a 10 year old playing outfield for the first time and is nervous when the ball is in the air.

2 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

At a minimum the value needs to be equal. Although we should expect value from Moncada, Kopech, Basabe to exceed Sale -- otherwise why bother unless we expected to come ahead

Value was likely not going to be equal during this version of Sale's contract.  The excess service time gained with the 3 young guys was where the surplus WAR was going to come from if things went well.  Don't forget that Kopech was expected to take longer to develop than most on here thought when Sox got him.  He actually took gigantic steps last season to get closer to than majors than was projected.

Edited by fathom

15 minutes ago, fathom said:

Value was likely not going to be equal during this version of Sale's contract.  The excess service time gained with the 3 young guys was where the surplus WAR was going to come from if things went well.  Don't forget that Kopech was expected to take longer to develop than most on here thought when Sox got him.  He actually took gigantic steps last season to get closer to than majors than was projected.

I'd expect immediate value to favor Boston, and of course the long-game here (as with any prospect deal) is meant to favor us. This should all but be guaranteed when dealing someone of Sale's stature when considering age, performance and contract value. 

52 minutes ago, The Ginger Kid said:

Which brings the debate of bringing up players too soon.