Luis Robert returns from the DL

Jake

The severity doesn't bother me, the frequency does. If you can't take the field, you can't take the field, whether you have a hang nail or your hand fell off. Maybe he becomes an iron man, but it has to start being a concern at some point.

Edited by Dick Allen

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The severity doesn't bother me, the frequency does. If you can't take the field, you can't take the field, whether you have a hang nail or your hand fell off. Maybe he becomes an iron man, but it has to start being a concern at some point.

He just needs to learn not to lead with his hand. Impact the wall with the elbow and don't put the thumb out when sliding.

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

He just needs to learn not to lead with his hand. Impact the wall with the elbow and don't put the thumb out when sliding.

The thumb in spring training was a total fluke. He didn't dive or anything. He just sort of glanced off the fielder. It is probably nothing, but to me certain guys always seem to have these nagging injuries all the time. Usually it starts a little later. With his luck if he did it your way he would fracture his elbow.  I'm not ready to call him injury prone yet, but if he winds up on the DL within a few weeks after he is next activated, even if the injury is no fault of his own like a HBP,  I will be there.

On 7/3/2018 at 3:36 PM, Dick Allen said:

The thumb in spring training was a total fluke. He didn't dive or anything. He just sort of glanced off the fielder. It is probably nothing, but to me certain guys always seem to have these nagging injuries all the time. Usually it starts a little later. With his luck if he did it your way he would fracture his elbow.  I'm not ready to call him injury prone yet, but if he winds up on the DL within a few weeks after he is next activated, even if the injury is no fault of his own like a HBP,  I will be there.

Both were a fluke because he had that hand out there, granted he needed to for the attempted catch but baseball players need to protect their hands.

9 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Doesn't look good. But it's the same injury, so I'll pause before calling him fragile. The Sox probably should just accept that he's done this year. Make sure his thumb is 100% healed going in to next year and go from there.

I'd expect him to be an AFL candidate, along with Hansen, potentially Dunning. 

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

Wondering if anyone else has a problem with the order of the top of this lineup? I just don’t see Robert being a lead off hitter. I’d like to see Madrigal leading off and Robert hitting third.

Almost assuredly part of Robert being at the top is the desire to get him as many at bats as possible since he's missed so much time.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

Wondering if anyone else has a problem with the order of the top of this lineup? I just don’t see Robert being a lead off hitter. I’d like to see Madrigal leading off and Robert hitting third.

Idk. Not sure it really matters that much in the low minors. But it does seem like it should go: Madrigal, Rutherford, Robert (R-L-R).

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Idk. Not sure it really matters that much in the low minors. But it does seem like it should go: Madrigal, Rutherford, Robert (R-L-R).

For a minor league game it probably doesn’t matter. When I see this lineup though I try to envision where they’d be in the lineup in Chicago. I can’t see Robert being a lead off hitter when the position is ideal for Madrigal.

Just now, DH in the NL said:

For a minor league game it probably doesn’t matter. When I see this lineup though I try to envision where they’d be in the lineup in Chicago. I can’t see Robert being a lead off hitter when the position is ideal for Madrigal.

Madrigal is the perfect #2 hitter.  He can leadoff, as well, but his best profile is second (due to always making contact and situational hitting skills we’re typically lacking)...behind a prolific base stealer like Pods, first half 2005 version. 

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Madrigal is the perfect #2 hitter.  He can leadoff, as well, but his best profile is second (due to always making contact and situational hitting skills we’re typically lacking)...behind a prolific base stealer like Pods, first half 2005 version. 

Pretty sure most modern lineup designs dislike that setup and say put your best overall hitter 2nd. 

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Pretty sure most modern lineup designs dislike that setup and say put your best overall hitter 2nd. 

With his hit tool and rarely striking out, Madrigal might profile as our best overall hitter in the future. That minor league lineup is pretty stacked with prospects.