White Sox @ Reds, 7/3/18, 6:10 pm CDT

Balta1701

Just now, fathom said:

Might have been Jeff Sullivan but within 24 hours of the deal, Bernstein had someone on the radio talking about how bad his fastball spin rate was.  

I do remember some discussion about his spin rate at the time, I'm just not convinced the Nats were thinking about it.

FWIW, low spin rate is associated with more movement and higher ground ball rates. What we used to call guys with a "heavy" ball turn out to have lower spin rates. A common thought from the get-go was that the worst thing would be to have typical spin rate because that's what hitters' eyes are most attuned to.

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

I do remember some discussion about his spin rate at the time, I'm just not convinced the Nats were thinking about it.

FWIW, low spin rate is associated with more movement and higher ground ball rates. What we used to call guys with a "heavy" ball turn out to have lower spin rates. A common thought from the get-go was that the worst thing would be to have typical spin rate because that's what hitters' eyes are most attuned to.

Off topic but I discovered baseball savant game feed.  It's fantastic

12 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Yet he also said Dane Dunning is garbage.. 

I'm just glad the kid is hitting 95-96 again. Gives me hope he can harness the other pitches (the curve especially) and possibly go even higher. 

I told you guys, Gio/Lopez made me do some data-driven research on stuff. 

These are spin rates on guys who get a lot of whiffs on fastballs 

MLB average(rpm) 2263

Verlander: 2606 

Sale: 2332

Kluber: 2610

Scherzer: 2497

Kershaw: 2388

Cole: 2345

Severino: 2370

See anything in common with the Ace quality group?

Sox Pitchers that matter:

Rodon: 2243

Giolito: 2073

Lopez: 2092

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Notice how much velocity and command falls apart from the stretch?  Velocity down 2-3 mph.

One thing I noticed about Giolito since he got his fastball velocity back is that he struggles  with command in the 1st inning, and once his pitch count gets around 90.  If he can get out of the first inning unscathed, he usually gives a good start numbers wise. If he gets killed in the 1st, he doesn't. He fixes the 1st inning jitters, I think he'll be okay. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

27 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But what is in 2017?

I found it on MLB site after some digging. Lopez had an average spin rate of 2105 RPM in 2017. Averaging 2092 in 2018. 

Giolito had a 2115 RPM in 2017. 

Edited by Jack Parkman