White Sox @ Reds, 7/3/18, 6:10 pm CDT

Balta1701

15 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I know you were and I truly appreciate the support. But the Avi debate has been going on a while so I was more focusing on the fact you said you don't get the Avi hate.  It's easy to understand was more my point . There's ammo on both sides plus his bad history outweighs his recent history and the fact he's going to get expensive soon and they just need more proof and the walk rate is very concerning to them so much so that even a massive hot streak like now  plus last year doesn't outweigh the history and the terrible walk rate.

I don't get the hate because it seems irrational.  For basically 2 years and 800+ AB's Avi has been an .850 OPS guy and people's argument is "yeah but when he was 23 and 24 in the majors for the first time he was a mess"...then every time he goes in a slump it is "well here comes terrible 24 year old Avi again".  We are in the midst of a rebuild...good save our souls...every prospect outside of Frank Thomas/Mike Trout struggles before they find it.  On this board half the posts are about whose job is it to drag Giolito, Fulmer, Lopez, Moncado and Tim Anderson to the dumpster...and we actually have someone that has broken through and we can't wait to trade him.   It is reasonable to question his walks...but go look at Kirby Puckett's career (lifetime .340 BABIP including 4 years above .370). From the 5 years where he was 28-32 KP (basically when Avi will be due a new contract) averaged 5+ WAR a season including a 7.8 WAR in a year where he walked 23 times.  And I know people will scoff at Avi=Kirby but at 24 Kirby put up a .655 OPS in 600 AB's/   Wouldn't Kirby Puckett look good in the 2020 lineup?  Why would anyone want to trade that for some teams 10th rated prospect?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I don't get the hate because it seems irrational.  For basically 2 years and 800+ AB's Avi has been an .850 OPS guy and people's argument is "yeah but when he was 23 and 24 in the majors for the first time he was a mess"...then every time he goes in a slump it is "well here comes terrible 24 year old Avi again".  We are in the midst of a rebuild...good save our souls...every prospect outside of Frank Thomas/Mike Trout struggles before they find it.  On this board half the posts are about whose job is it to drag Giolito, Fulmer, Lopez, Moncado and Tim Anderson to the dumpster...and we actually have someone that has broken through and we can't wait to trade him.   It is reasonable to question his walks...but go look at Kirby Puckett's career (lifetime .340 BABIP including 4 years above .370). From the 5 years where he was 28-32 KP (basically when Avi will be due a new contract) averaged 5+ WAR a season including a 7.8 WAR in a year where he walked 23 times.  And I know people will scoff at Avi=Kirby but at 24 Kirby put up a .655 OPS in 600 AB's/   Wouldn't Kirby Puckett look good in the 2020 lineup?  Why would anyone want to trade that for some teams 10th rated prospect?  

I wouldn’t trade him yet.  I’d give him the rest of the season and see what we have.  No point in dealing him for filler IMO.

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Well the long term signing thing is pretty much just a certain poster and arguing with him is pointless.  Most of us are understanding that Avi still has flaws that cause major concerns. I think when you talk about upside like we do with prospects Avi's is huge but he is getting expensive soon  unlike prospects and he has to show that one season wasn't an outlier or else the money could be spent on a more statistically balanced player. Maybe I just have more faith in AVi then I do in Sox management to make the right choice of finding that player.

I love how nobody addresses the fact (because of all the flaws you point out) he's going to be so affordable when he becomes a free agent. The fans who only want young players and to win a WS with a 60 million dollar payroll won't tell me what Avi is going to be worth on the market. Judging from all the stats the Avi naysayers are pointing out, he'll be worth 8-12 million a year for 4 years. You guys don't even want to pay that? LOL. You'd think all of you are investors and sharing in all the $$$$ with Jerry. Nobody wants to spend his money except for more unknown signees from overseas and in the draft. Tell me Avi-disbelievers, what type of contract is going to be so unaffordable regarding Avi? What do you think he's going to be paid considering all the negatives you all point out stat wise?

Edited by greg775