White Sox @ Reds, 7/3/18, 6:10 pm CDT

Balta1701

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

You mean one step forward, two steps back?  Came in off a good start and got demolished tonight.

His two starts this week were always going to be tough. He's facing a hot offense in a bandbox with hot weather, and his next start is in Houston. I was hoping he could make it out of both of these with 5 runs or less a piece because he's not quite there yet. Still getting closer though. With the way the ball was flying there tonight any mistake was going to be murdered and probably a HR. Giolito doesn't give up a lot of hits or HRs this year. His issue has been more with the walk and having guys on base when he does give up a hit. Look at that HR by Avi. that ball doesn't go that far on a normal day. Both pitchers are getting murdered with HRs. Walks are the difference in the score. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

His two starts this week were always going to be tough. He's facing a hot offense in a bandbox with hot weather, and his next start is in Houston. I was hoping he could make it out of both of these with 5 runs or less a piece because he's not quite there yet. Still getting closer though. With the way the ball was flying there tonight any mistake was going to be murdered and probably a HR. Giolito doesn't give up a lot of hits or HRs this year. His issue has been more with the walk and having guys on base when he does give up a hit. Look at that HR by Avi. that ball doesn't go that far on a normal day. 

Gave up 3 homers and 3 others that were close. It was glorified batting practice.  

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Gave up 3 homers and 3 others that were close. It was glorified batting practice.  

You could say the same about the other guy on the mound too. Just a bad day for pitchers. it happens. Neither guy got out of the 6th. Both Gennett and Suarez homers in the 1st inning were cheapies that were weather aided. They were pulled down the line to the smallest part of the park and are flyouts anywhere else. Duvall was off balance on that one and way out in front and it still went forever. I give him a mulligan for this one because it was just a horrible night for pitching. Meh. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

You could say the same about the other guy on the mound too. Just a bad day for pitchers. it happens. Neither guy got out of the 6th. Both Gennett and Suarez homers in the 1st inning were cheapies that were weather aided. They were pulled down the line to the smallest part of the park and are flyouts anywhere else. Duvall was off balance on that one and way out in front and it still went forever. 

You are the most schizo poster ever.  You've taken the crown from Caulfield.

8 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You are the most schizo poster ever.  You've taken the crown from Caulfield.

Nah, I just think this board in general is too hard on Giolito and too soft on Lopez. The whole board is schizo, because people don't look at underlying stats. People also don't use common sense on when there is a bad pitchers day and a Sox pitcher gets lit up. You have to write those ones off. This is a rebuilding year, Giolito is a project and results don't really matter. Growing pains were expected. This was always going to be a hard year to watch, unless Lopez/Gio/Moncada took off out of the gate and they didn't look back, Avi/Abreu had years like last year and Shields pitched like he actually has. I'm usually pretty negative about stuff, but I'm trying to be more optimistic about everything. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Nah, I just think this board in general is too hard on Giolito and too soft on Lopez. The whole board is schizo, because people don't look at underlying stats. People also don't use common sense on when there is a bad pitchers day and a Sox pitcher gets lit up. You have to write those ones off. This is a rebuilding year, Giolito is a project and results don't really matter. Growing pains were expected. 

Giolito has some of the worst metrics you will see for a starting pitcher on July 2nd. He'd be in AAA for probably 27 teams. Posters are definitely not too hard on him.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Nah, I just think this board in general is too hard on Giolito and too soft on Lopez. The whole board is schizo, because people don't look at underlying stats. People also don't use common sense on when there is a bad pitchers day and a Sox pitcher gets lit up. You have to write those ones off. This is a rebuilding year, Giolito is a project and results don't really matter. Growing pains were expected. This was always going to be a hard year to watch, unless Lopez/Gio/Moncada took off out of the gate and they didn't look back, Avi/Abreu had years like last year and Shields pitched like he actually has. I'm usually pretty negative about stuff, but I'm trying to be more optimistic about everything. 

I mean you'd change your mind about a piece of steak each bite depending on if you got the marble or the gristle.

• Like 1