Irrational fondness of a player who completely sucks

Jack Parkman

Has anyone been drawn to a player who completely sucks and keep hoping that they can turn it around? Who doesn't like a feel-good underdog story right? I find myself drawn to 3 rebuild pieces in particular all because they have fallen out of favor and need to be rebuilt so to speak. Those guys are Giolito, Hansen and Rutherford. All have had doubters, and I hope all 3 of them are huge parts of the next Sox world series winner. 

EDIT: Thread title is about Giolito, not the other guys. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Has anyone been drawn to a player who completely sucks and keep hoping that they can turn it around? Who doesn't like a feel-good underdog story right? I find myself drawn to 3 rebuild pieces in particular all because they have fallen out of favor and need to be rebuilt so to speak. Those guys are Giolito, Hansen and Rutherford. All have had doubters, and I hope all 3 of them are huge parts of the next Sox world series winner. 

Who has doubted Hansen? Other than his injury setting him back a bit this year, many people had him penciled in at the top (or #2) of the rotation in the future.

I realize the 2018 White Sox season is a rebuild/tanking/ throw up the white flag season. Still, this Lucas Giolito has to be sent down to the minors. He has pitched one good game the last month and his ERA is almost 7.00 again. It looks like the team is not going to bring up Kopech anytime soon but why not bring up Roach? He has pitched good enough to at least be given a chance with the White Sox. The White Sox finally demoted Fulmer. Its time to demote Giolito.

To answer your question though, it was definitely Ben Davis for me. I was one of, if not his biggest fan back in the day on this board. I even had a Ben Davis fan club that was surprisingly very popular here and rivaled @aboz56 Buehrle fan club (I think it was Buehrle). Great times.. it's a shame Ben didn't even come close to what he was projected to be in the draft.

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

Who has doubted Hansen? Other than his injury setting him back a bit this year, many people had him penciled in at the top (or #2) of the rotation in the future.

More his control problems when he was drafted, but injuries and the control issues have popped up again.

51 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Easy for me. I loved Dayan Viciedo 

Sox had a catcher 20 years ago named Mark Johnson. I loved his patient approach at the plate. Turns out he took a lot of pitches because he couldn't hit.

57 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I do not, but I do own the same in a Mario Valdez if that counts for anything. 

Yes!  Fuck yes!  Now that’s a name that takes me back.  Did you get it in like a dugout sale or something?  I actully spent $200 on a Viciedo authentic and it’s shamed me to this day.

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

How do Hansen/Rutherford "completely suck"?

Anyway, I also would say Viciedo. I wanted him brought back as a full time DH in 2015 rather than LaRoche. LaRoche might have done better than Viciedo would have, really. 

No, I just threw them in there because they both lost their prospect shine a little bit recently. This thread is mostly about Giolito.

2 hours ago, SoxAce said:

To answer your question though, it was definitely Ben Davis for me. I was one of, if not his biggest fan back in the day on this board. I even had a Ben Davis fan club that was surprisingly very popular here and rivaled @aboz56 Buehrle fan club (I think it was Buehrle). Great times.. it's a shame Ben didn't even come close to what he was projected to be in the draft.

Hello Katie.

• Haha 2

I still own a Jaff Bajenaru Jersey.  Then again I am of the opinion that liking a player isn't just about their stats.  Certain guys just get IT. I think Yolmer is my guy right now. Love the energy,  excitement,  and happiness he plays the game with.