Irrational fondness of a player who completely sucks

Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, wrathofhahn said:

Guy on the whitesox?

Probably Joe Crede. He was basically a replaceable starter for most of his career.

Other guy Scott Podsednik

"Suck" is definitely not how I would describe either of those players. 

Both made all-star games here. Podsednik once led the league with 70 steals (309 SB's total) and finished 2nd in ROY voting. Career .281 hitter with a .340 career OBP. 

Crede especially - in his first 4 1/3 years in the league were damn good prior to hurting his back for that first time. He was elite defensively. 4.8 WAR and 30 HR's/94 RBI's in 2006 (.283/.323/.506) OPS of .829 (one of two seasons with an .820+ OPS)

In those 4 1/3 or 4.5 seasons (whatever you want to call it - he came up for good to play 53 games in 02) he hit 104 HR's. Keep in mind, these were different times in the immediate aftermath of the steroid era... and consistently averaging in the mid-20's for HR's was quite solid. His OPS lines were .826 .741 .717 .756 and .829.

This is also a guy who was possibly our overall post-season MVP in 05. .949 OPS with 4 HR's and 11 RBI's. 1.000 OPS in the ALCS and a 1.100 OPS in the World Series. Podsednik was also damn good. Both were hugely clutch, of course. Crede, just overall - big time clutch player. 

I don't understand saying they "sucked". Clearly both above average major league players. Crede was eyeing a 300-350 HR career before his injuries. 

Maybe you mean to say "they were both favorites - despite better players being on the roster"?

Edited by Richie
  • Like 1

My disappointment team, maybe they didn't completely suck, but I was hoping these guys would kick ass for us

1B- Greg Norton

2B- Tonny Graffinino/ DeAngelo Jiminez

3B- Herbert Perry

SS- Gordon Beckham

C- Brook Fordyce

LF- Ryan Sweeney

CF- Mike Cameron

RF- Joe Borchard

SP1- Danny Wright

SP2- Jon Danks

SP3- James Baldwin

SP4- Estaban Loiaza

SP5- Jim Parque

RP- Neal Cotts

RP- Keith Foulke

CL- Billy Koch

Manager- Jerry Manuel

31 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

My disappointment team, maybe they didn't completely suck, but I was hoping these guys would kick ass for us

1B- Greg Norton

3B- Herbert Perry

SS- Gordon Beckham

C- Brook Fordyce

LF- Ryan Sweeney

CF- Mike Cameron

RF- Joe Borchard

SP1- Danny Wright

SP2- Jon Danks

SP3- James Baldwin

SP4- Estaban Loiaza

SP5- Jim Parque

RP- Neal Cotts

RP- Keith Foulke

CL- Billy Koch

Manager- Jerry Manuel

Wow, Mike Cameron really was tragically misunderstood, wasn't he?

34 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

1B- Greg Norton

3B- Herbert Perry

SS- Gordon Beckham

C- Brook Fordyce

LF- Ryan Sweeney

CF- Mike Cameron

RF- Joe Borchard

SP1- Danny Wright

SP2- Jon Danks

SP3- James Baldwin

SP4- Estaban Loiaza

SP5- Jim Parque

RP- Neal Cotts

RP- Keith Foulke

CL- Billy Koch

Manager- Jerry Manuel

Cameron put up 50 fWAR in his career (mostly not with us) and Foulke was pretty awesome for us before he was traded for the other two relievers you mentioned.  Those two shouldn’t be on a disappointment list unless you’re sad their awesomeness wasn’t with us.

54 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Cameron put up 50 fWAR in his career (mostly not with us) and Foulke was pretty awesome for us before he was traded for the other two relievers you mentioned.  Those two shouldn’t be on a disappointment list unless you’re sad their awesomeness wasn’t with us.

I stated that exact thing in my post.

Mike Cameron was good defensively for us but turned his offense into another gear when he left.

6 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I stated that exact thing in my post.

Mike Cameron was good defensively for us but turned his offense into another gear when he left.

Gotcha, makes sense then.  I do think some people forget how good Cameron actually was because we got Paulis for him.  Obviously not the case here.

2 hours ago, Richie said:

"Suck" is definitely not how I would describe either of those players. 

Both made all-star games here. Podsednik once led the league with 70 steals (309 SB's total) and finished 2nd in ROY voting. Career .281 hitter with a .340 career OBP. 

Crede especially - in his first 4 1/3 years in the league were damn good prior to hurting his back for that first time. He was elite defensively. 4.8 WAR and 30 HR's/94 RBI's in 2006 (.283/.323/.506) OPS of .829 (one of two seasons with an .820+ OPS)

In those 4 1/3 or 4.5 seasons (whatever you want to call it - he came up for good to play 53 games in 02) he hit 104 HR's. Keep in mind, these were different times in the immediate aftermath of the steroid era... and consistently averaging in the mid-20's for HR's was quite solid. His OPS lines were .826 .741 .717 .756 and .829.

This is also a guy who was possibly our overall post-season MVP in 05. .949 OPS with 4 HR's and 11 RBI's. 1.000 OPS in the ALCS and a 1.100 OPS in the World Series. Podsednik was also damn good. Both were hugely clutch, of course. Crede, just overall - big time clutch player. 

I don't understand saying they "sucked". Clearly both above average major league players. Crede was eyeing a 300-350 HR career before his injuries. 

Maybe you mean to say "they were both favorites - despite better players being on the roster"?

I meant they were annoyingly overrated by other whitesox fans. Joe Crede had a 93+ OPS which means despite your proclamations otherwise he was was worse then league average hitter while he was here.

His defense made him starting quality 3B but he never warranted the attention he received. Podsednik was even worse. He was a below average hitter infact he never had a wRC+ above 100 with the sox and because he took terrible routes despite his speed his defense was suspect.

As someone who was advanced guy at the time those players annoyed me most because it was always look at his steals or look at his defense ignoring the complete picture.

If we’re doing a biggest dissapoints roster, he are my picks:

• 1B: Chris Carter
  • 2B: Gordon Beckham
  • SS: Mike Caruso
  • 3B: Josh Fields
  • LF: Jeremy Reed
  • CF: Brian Anderson
  • RF: Joe Borchard
  • DH: Dayan Viciedo
  • _C: Josh Paul

• #1: Jason Bere
  • #2: Jon Rauch
  • #3: Kip Wells
  • #4: Scott Ruffcorn
  • #5: Danny Wright

• CL: Billy Koch
  • SU: Mike MacDougal
  • SU: David Aardsma
  • MR: Nick Masset
  • MR: Andy Sisco
  • MR: Jacob Petricka
  • LR: Lorenzo Barcello

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

How is Adam Engel not in someone's list in this thread?

All winter long, I had to read on these boards what a golden god he was in CF, and how he was gonna hit...

There was literally one person who said that

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

How is Adam Engel not in someone's list in this thread?

All winter long, I had to read on these boards what a golden god he was in CF, and how he was gonna hit...

Your reading skills are about as solid as Palka in RF then.

16 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

There was literally one person who said that

I think the majority preferred Engel over Leury and when that was discussed a lot of nice comments about Engel came out so wasn't just one person. Unfortunately i have no recollection if it was its own thread or what. I would imagine its somewhere in March.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think the majority preferred Engel over Leury and when that was discussed a lot of nice comments about Engel came out so wasn't just one person. Unfortunately i have no recollection if it was its own thread or what. I would imagine its somewhere in March.

it was a thread called "Adam Engel" started by Lillian in spring training because he was hot with the stick at that time.   "Golden god defensively and good with the stick" is very few and far between in that thread.   A lot of "he is a good outfielder if only he could hit", though

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I definitely remember a lot of pro-Engel sentiment in Spring Training when all the best shape of his life best swing of his life best hitter at the complex pieces came out.

Edited by Jose Abreu

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

it was a thread called "Adam Engel" started by Lillian in spring training because he was hot with the stick at that time.   "Golden god defensively and good with the stick" is very few and far between in that thread.   A lot of "he is a good outfielder if only he could hit", though

I just remember thinking seriously so many prefer Engel over Leury ? But Engel got the starts from Sox management and continues to get them over Leury so I am still mystified.

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

This was pretty much the consensus opinion, and that hasn't really changed.  The rest are wings on the bellcurve.