Irrational fondness of a player who completely sucks

Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yes!  Fuck yes!  Now that’s a name that takes me back.  Did you get it in like a dugout sale or something?  I actully spent $200 on a Viciedo authentic and it’s shamed me to this day.

My uncle actually bought it for me as a birthday present I think from one of the White Sox garage sales. I'm not sure of the cost, but I would hope a Mario Valdez would go for $50 or less. 

Edited by Sleepy Harold

Jeremy Reed, at 22, in AA Birmingham hit .409 for half a season with an OPS of 1.065.  I cried when they traded him for Freddie Garcia who did nothing for the White Sox (other than help them win a World Series).  I cried when Jeremy got called up to the Mariners at 23 and in 20 games hit .397 with a .940 OPS.  And for the next 8 seasons I breathlessly followed his certain Hall of Fame career denying the reality of his suckitude.  

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Oh God So Many
Carson Fulmer
Hector Noesi
Brian Anderson
Philip Humber
Brent Morel
Josh Phegley
Daniel Webb
Jayson Nix
Daniel Hudson
Danny Richar
Nick Masset
Ehren Wasserman
Luis Terrero

Didn't the Sox have like a trio of fireballers that everyone loved which included Masset . I cant' remeber any of their names but they were all young and threw hard and it was akin to the prospect love we have today. They all ended up sucking.

15 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Has anyone been drawn to a player who completely sucks and keep hoping that they can turn it around? Who doesn't like a feel-good underdog story right? I find myself drawn to 3 rebuild pieces in particular all because they have fallen out of favor and need to be rebuilt so to speak. Those guys are Giolito, Hansen and Rutherford. All have had doubters, and I hope all 3 of them are huge parts of the next Sox world series winner. 

EDIT: Thread title is about Giolito, not the other guys. 

I am more that way with football players. Especially QB's who are dismissed after a tough start. Like... I still pull hard for Blake Bortles because I liked him out of UCF. That kind of a thing. lol

I am less that way with baseball. I think it's just the fact that there's already so much failure involved. Even with a succeeding player. Then, you force me to watch a failing player just stink... it's a lot to absorb. 

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Didn't the Sox have like a trio of fireballers that everyone loved which included Masset . I cant' remeber any of their names but they were all young and threw hard and it was akin to the prospect love we have today. They all ended up sucking.

Mike MacDougal and David Aardsma from the right side. Aardsma went on to some success as a closer for the Mariners, MacDougal had some success in the past but flopped with us.

Matt Thornton from the left. He was pretty good.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Mike MacDougal and David Aardsma from the right side. Aardsma went on to some success as a closer for the Mariners, MacDougal had some success in the past but flopped with us.

Matt Thornton from the left. He was pretty good.

Yea Aardsma was the one i was trying to remember not sure if you mentioned the other one . What year was that ? They all kind of meld together at this point .

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yea Aardsma was the one i was trying to remember not sure if you mentioned the other one . What year was that ? They all kind of meld together at this point .

Back in 2007 we had a thread about how hard throwing our bullpen could be and that it could be historically good. That season...imploded.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Back in 2007 we had a thread about how hard throwing our bullpen could be and that it could be historically good. That season...imploded.

That's why I sort of remember them because I swear everyone was gaga over all these great young arms . Not sure if i was in that thread but if I was i might've asked something like but can they pitch ? Maybe I'm thinking of Boone Logan but he didnt suck.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
add info

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Oh God So Many
Carson Fulmer
Hector Noesi
Brian Anderson
Philip Humber
Brent Morel
Josh Phegley
Daniel Webb
Jayson Nix
Daniel Hudson
Danny Richar
Nick Masset
Ehren Wasserman
Luis Terrero

Glad someone mentioned Terrero. 

He came up and hit 5 home runs in his first 40 or so at bats including some monster shots and I remember things holy crap we may have found something here. I think he was released a month later and never heard from again

49 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That's why I sort of remember them because I swear everyone was gaga over all these great young arms . Not sure if i was in that thread but if I was i might've asked something like but can they pitch ? Maybe I'm thinking of Boone Logan but he didnt suck.

Boone wasn't any good that year, had an ERA of nearly 5, but that was because he was called up straight from A-ball after a good spring and the team was desperate for a second lefty. In the end he's going to earn nearly $35 million as a big league lefty.

I haven't really fallen for any players who completely suck as the thread is titled. Unless you guys consider Avi, Abreu, Dye, Ozzie, Jenks worthless and I know you don't think that. Usually the player has to have good value for me to have fondness for the player. 

I guess Dwyane Wise might classify but I mainly was just supporting him cause so many on here hated him and I was thankful for The Catch and several clutch hits he delivered. But I guess it'd be Wise because he was not even a .200 hitter.