Irrational fondness of a player who completely sucks

Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That's why I sort of remember them because I swear everyone was gaga over all these great young arms . Not sure if i was in that thread but if I was i might've asked something like but can they pitch ? Maybe I'm thinking of Boone Logan but he didnt suck.

Andy Sisco?

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Andy Sisco?

Ah, yes. the 3 headed monster that was supposed to be Nick Masset, Andy Sisco and David Aardsma. They all could throw gas, but none could hit the broad side of a barn after April 2007. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Ah, yes. the 3 headed monster that was supposed to be Nick Masset, Andy Sisco and David Aardsma. They all could throw gas, but none could hit the broad side of a barn after April 2007. 

Yup, those are the three guys plus McDougal I remember us all being excited about who ultimately failed, although Aardsma was at least really good to start that year IIRC and Masset helped put Griffey in a Sox uniform which was pretty cool.

23 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What no one has brought up Brian Andeson yet ? He was the poster child of the pretty boy man crush around here.

Ummm, that might be me. My SoxTalk name, I named my dog after him... Anderson (although as a half joke really)

But yes, I completely love the comeback story. The guy who was supposed to be good, fell out, and you want them to regain it.

Over the years I've had many. Anderson always being my go to. Then it was Gordon Beckham. Then it was Johnny Danks at the end of his career.

Currently I am on the Giolito turn it around bandwagon as well as the Anderson bandwagon. I guess he's not hated at all, but there were a lot of people saying he's not a starter. I think he can actually thrive in the league as a 30/30 guy.

7 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Currently I am on the Giolito turn it around bandwagon as well as the Anderson bandwagon. I guess he's not hated at all, but there were a lot of people saying he's not a starter. I think he can actually thrive in the league as a 30/30 guy.

I feel like he's definitely hated at times for his defense, which has been really good this past month and pretty solid overall this year. The "move him to center field" crowd is still there. He's easily our best/most valuable player, though. 

Actually now that I'm reading more of the responses I have a bunch more.

Danny Richar! haha. I remember writing into Merkin mailbag about the Ken Griffey Jr. trade and how we'd regret giving up Richar.. Massett too.

I remember backing Cris Carter saying that trade saying that we'd regret that too. (Carlos Quentin). Apparently I shouldn't be a GM. Danny Wright...

I'll go quickly thru the years starting with 2010 so my list isn't long as hell.

2010: Brent Morel

2011: Does Beckham start counting yet? I defended that guy like he was going to be Robinson Cano like numbers

2012: Micah Johnson, Zach Stewart

2013: Erik Johnson

2014: Tyler Saladino

2015: Brett Lawrie

2016: I guess this counts to John Danks, thought he'd finish strong.

2017: Alen Hanson

21 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Danny Richar! haha. I remember writing into Merkin mailbag about the Ken Griffey Jr. trade and how we'd regret giving up Richar.. Massett too.

In your defense, Masset ended up being a pretty good reliever until his injury

1 hour ago, BrianAnderson said:

I remember backing Cris Carter saying that trade saying that we'd regret that too. (Carlos Quentin). Apparently I shouldn't be a GM. Danny Wright...

I'll go quickly thru the years starting with 2010 so my list isn't long as hell.

2010: Brent Morel

2011: Does Beckham start counting yet? I defended that guy like he was going to be Robinson Cano like numbers

2012: Micah Johnson, Zach Stewart

2013: Erik Johnson

2014: Tyler Saladino

2015: Brett Lawrie

2016: I guess this counts to John Danks, thought he'd finish strong.

2017: Alen Hanson

I 'm every bit as guilty as you on the Erik Johnson front. I once called up the score and argued for 10 minutes he'd be a star.

With this rebuild I have a feeling some of the players we like this year are going to look completely ridiculous soon.

Daniel Palka is sneaking his way into contention. The man is built like Jose Canseco - when he makes contact that ball is scolded. I actually spent time yesterday looking back his minor league stats to see why I hadn't heard of him before. I think it's fair to say that he can hit 25-35HR if given a full season in the majors. I think it's also fair to say that he's going to strikeout 200 times and that I am legitimately a better OF than he is.

2 hours ago, knightni said:

Loved me some Gordon Beckham.

I really thought that he was a future #2 hitter for the team.

He's the reason I refuse to buy anymore jerseys with a player's name on the back of it (unless it is a legend or HoF player: Beuehrle, Thomas, Konerko, anyone from 05 you can rationalize, etc.).

Beckham was definitely the guy I thought wouldn't fail. 

One guy I remember a lot of people being up in arms KW traded was Brandon Allen. He didn't get much for him, but it turns out he wasn't much. Someone guaranteed all star games for him. Maybe in the softball league he is probably now playing.