Does Abreu want to be traded?

wrathofhahn

8 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I love Davidson obviously but I can't understand why you guys do. He seems to not be that good this year IMO. Does the fact he draws walks mean that much to you all?

He was great in April and has been pretty bad ever since. I'm willing to give him the rest of the year but would be annoyed if he's on the 2019 roster, barring improvements. The walks certainly help but it's not enough if he's gonna keep hitting like he has since he came back from the DL. 

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

He was great in April and has been pretty bad ever since. I'm willing to give him the rest of the year but would be annoyed if he's on the 2019 roster, barring improvements. The walks certainly help but it's not enough if he's gonna keep hitting like he has since he came back from the DL. 

I know. It makes sense Greg loves him as I stood up for him a long time last year. But I don't understand how a few walks have made the mean stat crowd think he's a piece for the future.

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

I love Davidson obviously but I can't understand why you guys do. He seems to not be that good this year IMO. Does the fact he draws walks mean that much to you all?

Come on mods, this is obvious trolling if I have ever seen it.  Davidson has tripled his BB rate from last year, while cutting down his K rate slightly & maintaining his power.  His OPS is nearly 100 points better and all his traditional stats (the ones Greg would cite) are projected to better.  This is baiting plain & simple.  Why do we allow him to purposely derail threads like this?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I was the biggest Davidson hater coming into the year, but we really don’t know what he is.  The fact he’s posted double digit walk rates every single month makes him a guy that requires further evaluation, especially given his raw power.  IMO, he is the clear favorite right now for the 2019 DH job over Palka & Delmonico.  Maybe they’ll decide to upgrade or add a 1B and move Jose to DH, but Matt has improved his stock enough to be considered an option.  Admittedly, that could all change by season’s end.

11 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

While I’m leaning torwards dealing Abreu if value can be had, ultimately I have no problem keeping him around for a while.  I would move him to DH and let Davidson be the primary 1B if we decide to hold onto him.

Doubt much of a market but one team Abreu would provide a big upgrade to is Seattle. Ryon Healy can't be the answer as Ms navigate their playoff course. Seattle lacks minor league assets but Evan White, LH (T) 1B is regarded as great with the leather and, IMHO a lefty 1B who can play serious defense would go a long way toward stabilizing a very young IF. Seattle also has ex-Cub Vogelbach and other pieces to assemble if talks develop.

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Come on mods, this is obvious trolling if I have ever seen it.  Davidson has tripled his BB rate from last year, while cutting down his K rate slightly & maintaining his power.  His OPS is nearly 100 points better and all his traditional stats (the ones Greg would cite) are projected to better.  This is baiting plain & simple.  Why do we allow him to purposely derail threads like this?

Right, and wasn't Greg thrilled with his performance earlier this year?

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I said I love Davidson, what more do you want? Maybe it's the old eye test thing for me. I see he's hitting .228, 14, 37. The 14, 37 is not bad at all, but I guess the traditional stat guy in me doesn't like that .228. It's one slump from really bad; one hot streak from .250. No problem though. I love Davidson and want him around a long time. I like the fact all the walks make the traditional stat lovers think he's the best hitter on our team so we can both love one player even if he's hitting under .230. Last time I listened guys like Stoney and the graphics people who flash stats on the screen still use BA as a useful metric.

Edited by greg775

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I said I love Davidson, what more do you want? Maybe it's the old eye test thing for me. I see he's hitting .228, 14, 37. The 14, 37 is not bad at all, but I guess the traditional stat guy in me doesn't like that .228. It's one slump from really bad; one hot streak from .250. No problem though. I love Davidson and want him around a long time. I like the fact all the walks make the traditional stat lovers think he's the best hitter on our team so we can both love one player even if he's hitting under .230. Last time I listened guys like Stoney and the graphics people who flash stats on the screen still use BA as a useful metric.

His batting average last year was .220 and you loved him.  Now his .228 is a problem despite his BB rate tripling and everything being the same or better?  No offense, but I don’t buy your bullshit.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

His batting average last year was .220 and you loved him.  Now his .228 is a problem despite his BB rate tripling and everything being the same or better?  No offense, but I don’t buy your bullshit.

I said I still love him. Maybe it's the eye test. When I watch, he makes outs. Last year I saw all those bombs and clutch hits. No biggie. I still want him on the team and he probably ties as my second favorite player (with Abreu) with Palka No. 1 right now.

19 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

He has been 100% consistent on never wanting to leave the White Sox.  He loves it here.

That’s right. I think his hitting woes  right now are physical issues with his ankles and feet. You can’t hit with authority if you can’t get planted firmly and generate power from the lower half of your body. Watch him bat and you can tell he is very uncomfortable. He just wants to play so badly that he won’t take himself out of the lineup 

Edited by elrockinMT

1 hour ago, elrockinMT said:

That’s right. I think his hitting woes  right now are physical issues with his ankles and feet. You can’t hit with authority if you can’t get planted firmly and generate power from the lower half of your body. Watch him bat and you can tell he is very uncomfortable. He just wants to play so badly that he won’t take himself out of the lineup 

Not a bad take. It's either that or my theory of a broken spirit.