How to Win the World Series in 2019

31 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I'm not sure Harper wants to hit free agency off a 3.0 WAR season (roughly) either. He could take a one year deal high salary deal, mash, and cash in next offseason with a big contract.

Not a chance. Teams will bid for him like crazy. No money will be lost. 

31 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I'm not sure Harper wants to hit free agency off a 3.0 WAR season (roughly) either. He could take a one year deal high salary deal, mash, and cash in next offseason with a big contract.

he could also try to sign a lower dollar amount contract, but insist on an opt-out after 1-2 years so that he's got a shot again if he can have a better year. And with where the White Sox currently are, I think it's very clear they should not give opt-outs for anything less than 3 years. 

I thought it would be a fun exercise to theoretically construct a roster for the 2019 season that could potentially win it all. 

I like the thought and appreciate your take on this.  

The Sox moves made prior to and during the 2005 caught lightning in a bottle  for us.   It would take a lot of luck, imagination and guile to duplicate that success as well as an enormous  capital investment in player contracts.  

To have a championship season once again, the Sox need to have at least a few All Star level players and pitchers  who reach a crescendo with their careers in the same year. 

18 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If he's hitting like this at the end of the year I don't want to offer him $300 million.

it would probably have the year 3 opt out which seems to be very common now, but it would definitely be a tough decision even then

56 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

The Sox need another year of development and assessments before they can make the major moves.
I look at this team and it looks .500ish to me.  Not enough pitching depth, sluggish OF defense; very ?able pen behind Kimbrall.  

Oh I agree, I wouldn’t want to execute this plan just yet.  I think we’ll be a much better place to make some major moves after the 2019 season.  I would still go after Harper & Machado now because guys like aren’t always available.

Step 1: Get #1 pick in 2019 draft

Step 2: Sign literally $1 billion of free agent contracts in the offseason (Harper, Machado, Keuchel, Corbin, Kimbrel).

Step 3: Draft Adley Rutschman, who shows he's MLB ready and Buster Posey caliber by season's end.

Step 4: CHAMPIONSHIP!

That's the level of absurdity it would take for the White Sox to win it all in 2019, or even have a chance. That said, this exercise did spawn an interesting strategy in my head. Unlikely though it certainly is, this seems the place to discuss absurd ideas at the moment. What if the White Sox were to sign Harper in 2019 and Arenado in 2020? Could that, combined with the drastic upswing in talent we should see by the end of 2020, be enough to raise revenues enough to allow the team to keep its core in addition to those contracts?