Avisail Garcia to the 10 day DL

Balta1701

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Just remember, at the big league level, we're still in the bottom 1/3 of the league for time spent on the disabled list. When you're planning your roster for the future, you should expect as much as 2x this amount of time on the disabled list for your competitive team.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I know according to the Sox media guide they were slightly above league average for times using the DL last season but way about the league average in games missed because of injury. If you look, the Sox have been getting a lot of injuries at the big league level for the past three seasons and everyone knows what has been going on this year down in the minors. Something just isn't right and it could be a major factor in this rebuild going forward.

5 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I know according to the Sox media guide they were slightly above league average for times using the DL last season but way about the league average in games missed because of injury. If you look, the Sox have been getting a lot of injuries at the big league level for the past three seasons and everyone knows what has been going on this year down in the minors. Something just isn't right and it could be a major factor in this rebuild going forward.

You are correct that in 2017 the White Sox were in the upper 1/2 of the league in time missed on the disabled list  (right around 12th) - guys like Rodon and Putnam and Jones made a big difference there. However, in 2016 they were just right around League Average and in the years prior to that, they were the healthiest team in the league. From 2010-2017 they are either 29th or 30th for most days spent on the disabled list. When your team is used to unbelievable health, "nearly average health" seems like an anomaly.

We have seen nothing at all like the Dodgers or the Rangers, and those teams are far better than us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

You are correct that in 2017 the White Sox were in the upper 1/2 of the league in time missed on the disabled list  (right around 12th) - guys like Rodon and Putnam and Jones made a big difference there. However, in 2016 they were just right around League Average and in the years prior to that, they were the healthiest team in the league. From 2010-2017 they are either 29th or 30th for most days spent on the disabled list. When your team is used to unbelievable health, "nearly average health" seems like an anomaly.

We have seen nothing at all like the Dodgers or the Rangers, and those teams are far better than us.

At least in the Dodgers case they have the money and the will to spend / pick up contracts to bridge the injury gaps. Not sure what philosophy the Rangers will be having down the road.

I'll be curious where they end up at the big league level this year I'm guessing it is going to be above the league average again in games missed.

Edited by Lip Man 1

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

At least in the Dodgers case they have the money and the will to spend / pick up contracts to bridge the injury gaps. Not sure what philosophy the Rangers will be having down the road.

I'll be curious where they end up at the big league level this year I'm guessing it is going to be above the league average again in games missed.

They'll need like 2-3 big leaguers to go down for the entire rest of the season (within the next week or two) to wind up average, or about 5 guys to go down for an entire month. This seems unlikely.

1 hour ago, Hot FiRe said:

At some point we have to start pointing fingers at Hermie for this crap. Way too many injuries happening lately. 

I would hope the organization will take a long hard look at the in season and off season training / conditioning program just to see if something is being missed that could be contributing to these injuries. perhaps bringing in an outside observer to look at the training / conditioning program with fresh eyes and new ideas could be helpful. 

Just now, Soxfest said:

SF and Toronto were interested in him. Articles from last December. No idea the offer, but there was a market too trade him.

Interest doesn't mean offers.  And it sure doesn't mean good offers.  Unless you can prove the offers were decent, I am going to assume they aren't considering the number of players we have moved in the last year +.

Has anyone done a study about the correlation to strains and tears in the modern era and PED's? I'm not accusing anyone, but it's known that the use of PED's will lead to more ligament/muscular damage as the muscle grows so quickly that the rest of the body has trouble catching up. It seems like over the last 30 years there's been major rise in strain/tear related injury among all sports. I'm also of the opinion that the number of pro athletes that use PED's is much, much higher than what the general population thinks. I picked up powerlifting as a hobby and it's really opened my eyes to what's really achievable naturally, and what isn't. Also, the film Icarus was eye opening. 

4 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

It's also pretty odd ( or maybe it's not considering the Dodgers have more resource so probably a better scouting/development staff) that they end up finding guys like Muncy and last year Taylor while the Sox while in a rebuild don't have nearly the "luck" the Dodgers do finding ballplayers who just seem to come out of nowhere.

To me, there always seems to be an injury of the year league wide. One that seems to occur more often than others. Many years ago, it was torn labrums. Now it happens, but it's rare. This year, there seems to be a ton of hamstring injuries. My theory is that these guys are all on some kind of program in the offseason and during the season, and I believe, for whatever reason, perhaps these training programs cause these particular injuries or leave it open to it happening It wouldn't surprise me if next year, the programs get adjusted, and there are hardly any hamstring injuries, but it could mean the problems will move somewhere else like  ab strains or something like that. 

Edited by Dick Allen

15 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Plus you have to account for an aging Adrian Beltre...

10 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's also pretty odd ( or maybe it's not considering the Dodgers have more resource so probably a better scouting/development staff) that they end up finding guys like Muncy and last year Taylor while the Sox while in a rebuild don't have nearly the "luck" the Dodgers do finding ballplayers who just seem to come out of nowhere.

Don’t forget the “original,” Justin Turner.

22 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

To me, there always seems to be an injury of the year league wide. One that seems to occur more often than others. Many years ago, it was torn labrums. Now it happens, but it's rare. This year, there seems to be a ton of hamstring injuries. My theory is that these guys are all on some kind of program in the offseason and during the season, and I believe, for whatever reason, perhaps these training programs cause these particular injuries or leave it open to it happening It wouldn't surprise me if next year, the programs get adjusted, and there are hardly any hamstring injuries, but it could mean the problems will move somewhere else like  ab strains or something like that. 

Lat strains for pitchers this year