Bruce Rondon to be optioned/DFA'd

Jose Abreu

42 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Rolling the dice on Rondon made sense given his ability and the fact he was under control for a few more years.  Obviously it didn’t work out, but I think it was easily worth a shot.

But they took too long. Rondon should've been gone a month ago. In that time, Gomez could've upped his trade value like Cedeno did. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

A month ago Rondon had a 3.74 era, .226 BAA, 31Ks in 21 IP, along with 11BB.

June 16th then. Not quite a month but pretty close. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=rondobr01&t=p&year=2018

He became a walk machine in the games leading up to it. He hasn't been any good since May. Obviously his rate stats in mid-June will look ok since there wasn't enough sample size yet once he started walking everyone. 

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So he should have been dealt to someone in the league who knew he sucked?

The point is Rondon didn’t do anything to prove he was worth keeping or trading. I didn’t go back to look at any post on Rondon, but it’s hard to imagine anyone thought he was worth a damn.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

The point is Rondon didn’t do anything to prove he was worth keeping or trading. I didn’t go back to look at any post on Rondon, but it’s hard to imagine anyone thought he was worth a damn.

Actually, there were a lot of people on here saying he could be next Kahnle.

Speaking of flashes in the pan, Anthony Swardzak made $14 million out of not being Anthony Swardzak last season. He is now back to being his old self. 

You never know what you might catch with these guys. Usually nothing, but if you have roster spots and aren't contending, it's well worth the roll of the dice. You never know. Rondon looked pretty good for a while, then it all fell apart. I wonder if he is injured. 

Edited by Dick Allen

36 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

June 16th then. Not quite a month but pretty close. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=rondobr01&t=p&year=2018

He became a walk machine in the games leading up to it. He hasn't been any good since May. Obviously his rate stats in mid-June will look ok since there wasn't enough sample size yet once he started walking everyone. 

Sure.  And over the last month he regressed and they DFA'd him.  It happens when you shop in the bargain bin.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

And this is exactly why you do it.  If it succeeds you have either a future arm, or a chip to deal.  If they fail, you DFA them and dont think twice about it.

Nature of this stage of a rebuild, but there is a segment of fans who don't understand that or don't want to acknowledge it.

Should have called up Gomez earlier - his only value is as a flipper as well.
Rondon hasn't really pitched any worse than a lot of these guys; but once he can't be flipped, no reason to keep him around I guess.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

How long does Santiago have. His versatility probably buys him time, but he is meat out there now

I think the leash on him is much, much longer. Sox need to have a legit long man with the rotation and all these blowout games. As bad as he's been, he saved the pen last night.