State of the (Injury-ravaged) Sox Farm System

bmags

https://theathletic.com/427401/2018/07/11/state-of-the-injury-ravaged-farm-system-checking-in-on-the-white-soxs-top-prospects/

Was reading this and couldn't help but laugh. As guys get injured you kind of move them out of the mental model of the farm, and then you read the start of the year list in full and I couldn't help but guffaw at our luck this year. 6 out of the first 10 injured, many significantly. And the further down you go it never "clears" up.

These are trying times :(

comment-icon@2x.png 4 save-icon@2x.png

In the position I am in, it’s a blessing to get all the helpful fan feedback that I do receive, and to reflect on the perspective it provides. These days, a lot of comments are of the nature of “put everyone in bubble wrap,” or “all of our pets are dead,” or “I will donate my limbs to Eloy Jiménez.”

With the benefit of a previous irrational decision to list out 67 prospectsbefore the season, we can refer back to that list and see just how rough it’s been for the White Sox’s top prospects, and whether Jiménez really will need your limbs.

It was a good review although it is amazing the number of injuries especially up high in the rankings.  I don't know how other systems compare and/or if it seems bad because we are following the minors more closely.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:44 AM, BamaDoc said:

It was a good review although it is amazing the number of injuries especially up high in the rankings.  I don't know how other systems compare and/or if it seems bad because we are following the minors more closely.

No, it really is a bad year for injuries. Maybe next year we'll just have a normal year for that sort of thing. One healthy year and we could add

10-12 new players to the major league roster.

Add Zangari to the list tonight. And if you look at things, Sox players at the major league level have been dropping like flies for the past three years. I think at one point last year for example they had seven or eight pitchers on the DL.

Now the minor league teams are getting gutted.

It may be time for the Sox to bring in some outside folks to closely examine every aspect of the training / conditioning areas just to see if something is being missed.

The fastest way to torpedo a rebuild is not be able to keep the guys expected to be the main cogs in said rebuild on the field.

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The injury curse is now affecting former Sox prospect as He Who Shall Not Be Named is going to miss the rest of the season!

Now he’s damaged goods. The Padres must have missed the scouting report about this happening before they traded for him. Hahn fleeced the Padres! 

Edited by DH in the NL
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Add Zangari to the list tonight. And if you look at things, Sox players at the major league level have been dropping like flies for the past three years. I think at one point last year for example they had seven or eight pitchers on the DL.

Now the minor league teams are getting gutted.

It may be time for the Sox to bring in some outside folks to closely examine every aspect of the training / conditioning areas just to see if something is being missed.

The fastest way to torpedo a rebuild is not be able to keep the guys expected to be the main cogs in said rebuild on the field.

The irony is that the Sox are still only middle of the pack as far as games lost to injury.  It just seems a lot worse because of how incredible we had been over the previous 15 years.

51 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The irony is that the Sox are still only middle of the pack as far as games lost to injury.  It just seems a lot worse because of how incredible we had been over the previous 15 years.

You overrate herm to a laughable extent

1 hour ago, Hot FiRe said:

You overrate herm to a laughable extent

Herm is only the secondary person when it comes to the number of injuries. That group is the strength and conditioning group. If the injuries take l9nger to come back from than to normal, that is where Herm and his group is involved the most.

You really need to get your facts straight before you malign individuals.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I'm going to guess broken and Sox will announce if he needs surgery or not soon. 

Odds are if its in cast already he won't need surgery it would be non-displaced or will will have had it. I doubt he had surgery this soon however.

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2018 at 11:15 AM, ptatc said:

Odds are if its in cast already he won't need surgery it would be non-displaced or will will have had it. I doubt he had surgery this soon however.

Fegan had a tweet that he may miss the rest of the season.

On 7/24/2018 at 10:51 AM, BamaDoc said:

Fegan had a tweet that he may miss the rest of the season.

Makes sense. A fracture takes 6-8 weeks to heal. That puts him back to baseball activities around early to mid-september and the minor league season is over.