Trade Proposals

ChiSoxJon

RHP James Shields to Chicago Cubs in exchange for RHP Duane Underwood Jr. and cash relief
- Personally don't think Shields gets dealt but if he does, it should be in August...obviously not much value but could attract a team that needs an innings eater and doesn't want to give up too much, allows a more deserving arm like Stephens or Adams to join Rodon, Gio, and Lopez

LHPs Luis Avilan and Xavier Cedeno to Boston Red Sox in exchange for RHPs Ty Buttrey and Roniel Raudes
- Boston needs lefty relief help so a double dose can't hurt, wouldn't have to sacrifice much either, allows Bummer to come back up and maybe Viera

RHP Joakim Soria to New York Yankees in exchange for OF Billy McKinney
- Compensation for whoever misses out on Britton, won't cost much and allows Hamilton to come up

The Sox really don't have much of anything to trade.  I don't expect much excitement the next few weeks.

As you noted, Soria, Avilan and Cedeno are all probably gone.  But the returns will be minimal.  I would love to see us get someone's blocked CF prospect that we can at least throw out there the rest of the year instead of Engel.  

17 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Sox really don't have much of anything to trade.  I don't expect much excitement the next few weeks.

As you noted, Soria, Avilan and Cedeno are all probably gone.  But the returns will be minimal.  I would love to see us get someone's blocked CF prospect that we can at least throw out there the rest of the year instead of Engel.  

Figured McKinney is similar to a Tilson-type add, would just like to dump these guys who offer nothing to us and add whatever we can get while getting some prospects up

58 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Sox should move fast with their relievers.  The A’s moved quickly with a couple arms last year and were able to get Luzardo.  Given we don’t have any elite relievers to trade, patience won’t be a virtue IMO.

I am sure Soria will be gone very soon.  Will be interesting to see what other guys are worth.

5 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Figured McKinney is similar to a Tilson-type add, would just like to dump these guys who offer nothing to us and add whatever we can get while getting some prospects up

McKinney is a substantially better minor league hitter than  Tilson ever was.  So is/was Cordell but Cordell's been hurt.
If his D was good, I'd be thrilled with him for Soria.
But as one who thinks they need to start building this team up, but not by trading for older veterans, I'm good with a player who can possibly start for Soria.

Edited by GreenSox

You will also need to factor in 40 man issues.  We are going to have many close calls and will lose people we like the next couple years in the rule 5 draft.  I would not expect acquiring players who need to be on the 40 man right away(fall), maybe one, but expect most to be guys a couple years away from requiring protection.

42 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

You will also need to factor in 40 man issues.  We are going to have many close calls and will lose people we like the next couple years in the rule 5 draft.  I would not expect acquiring players who need to be on the 40 man right away(fall), maybe one, but expect most to be guys a couple years away from requiring protection.

Personally a prefer a younger, rawer guy compared to a guy on the wrong side of 25 with a low ceiling

8 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

We always have such low expectations. Why are we always assuming returns will be minimal? If Tatis Jr can be received from Shields or Arrieta from Cashner, we can't just have this defeatist mentality. It's the responsibility of our organization to take advantage of another team's weakness in evaluating their players. If it happen to us, why can't we expect the same from Hahn?

5 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

We always have such low expectations. Why are we always assuming returns will be minimal? If Tatis Jr can be received from Shields or Arrieta from Cashner, we can't just have this defeatist mentality. It's the responsibility of our organization to take advantage of another team's weakness in evaluating their players. If it happen to us, why can't we expect the same from Hahn?

Because of Liriano.

16 hours ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Tatis Jr was a throw-in in that deal when it was made.  He blew up.  No one was talking about how the Padres fleeced the Sox with Tatis Jr when the trade was made.

I personally have low expectations because everyone with value has been traded.  Jose maybe has some, but his recent somewhat extended cold streak makes his minimal chances of being traded quite a bit lower.  Avi and Jones are hurt.  The only guys that have any real value in trade (that the Sox would actually consider trading) are Soria, Avilan and Yolmer.  That is it, and those guys aren't bringing back top 100 prospects.  Maybe someone is interested in Cedeno, but we aren't getting anything exciting. 

17 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

Yep, the 40 man crunch is going to become a real thing very soon. 

18 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Tatis Jr was a throw-in in that deal when it was made.  He blew up.  No one was talking about how the Padres fleeced the Sox with Tatis Jr when the trade was made.

I personally have low expectations because everyone with value has been traded.  Jose maybe has some, but his recent somewhat extended cold streak makes his minimal chances of being traded quite a bit lower.  Avi and Jones are hurt.  The only guys that have any real value in trade (that the Sox would actually consider trading) are Soria, Avilan and Yolmer.  That is it, and those guys aren't bringing back top 100 prospects.  Maybe someone is interested in Cedeno, but we aren't getting anything exciting. 

From what I have read, he wasn't a  throw in.  Peller wanted Tatis in the deal.

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

From what I have read, he wasn't a  throw in.  Peller wanted Tatis in the deal.

Throw in was the wrong word.  But he wasn't viewed as a major prospect at the time. Most people on here didn't even know who he was.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Wouldn't you think the Padres were having the same exact thought process? "He has no value and isn't bringing back a Top 100 prospect." 

If it happened to Hahn, why can't it happen to another GM? The Padres obviously knew who they were receiving and we embarrassingly no clue of who were giving up. Let's start expecting more from Hahn. 

It's vitally important for our future to have one of those types of trades. If we don't get a Rizzo or Arrieta, crap for gold type of deals, we're relying on FA, equal value, or our minor league system. Call it dumb luck, or whatever; but we need some our way

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I know at the very least that Gage was adamant against including Tatis.

I could see Carlos Rodon being moved. Yankees and a bunch of teams are desperate for pitching they will be more apt to give up top prospects for guys with control.

Abreu value has cratered. Maybe some team has interest I dunno but with the way he's been hitting honestly the awkward question is what to do with him next season.

I think with sort of some of our top guys taking a step back we should probably look to go as deep as we can as far as trading talent. That means moving Sanchez as well assuming we get a good offer.

Edited by wrathofhahn

28 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

I could see Carlos Rodon being moved. Yankees and a bunch of teams are desperate for pitching they will be more apt to give up top prospects for guys with control.

Abreu value has cratered. Maybe some team has interest I dunno but with the way he's been hitting honestly the awkward question is what to do with him next season.

I think with sort of some of our top guys taking a step back we should probably look to go as deep as we can as far as trading talent. That means moving Sanchez as well assuming we get a good offer.

I don't think there's any way Rodon gets traded. Coming off an injury and still so far the same inconsistent pitcher he has been for 4 seasons. The white sox shouldn't trade him unless they get an ace-like package back for him based on potential, but no one is giving up that kind of price until he proves he's actually an ace.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quinarvy said:

I know at the very least that Gage was adamant against including Tatis.

That’s a good call on his part, but the reality is he is a kid who was out bonused by about 25 guys in his class and never played a game for the White Sox organization. To think he would be where he is at this point is either HOF scouting ability or some good luck, or just someone who at that point just preferred any prospect to James Shields.

I have ripped RH and Kw a lot, but if they really had any inkling of what they had, I give them enough credit to be able to say they never would have made that trade even if Shield was going to be a lot better than he turned out to be.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

I don't think there's any way Rodon gets traded. Coming off an injury and still so far the same inconsistent pitcher he has been for 4 seasons. The white sox shouldn't trade him unless they get an ace-like package back for him based on potential, but no one is giving up that kind of price until he proves he's actually an ace.

I think there is a chance of us getting a huge package back.

There are teams in desperate need of pitching right now it's a sellers market and most probably don't want to give up a top prospect for a rental. I'd be willing to take a q return whether that qualifies as ace return I dunno. The Yankees desperately need a starter.