Trade Proposals

ChiSoxJon

Just now, wrathofhahn said:

I think there is a chance of us getting a huge package back.

There are teams in desperate need of pitching right now it's a sellers market and most probably don't want to give up a top prospect for a rental. I'd be willing to take a q return whether that qualifies as ace return I dunno. The Yankees desperately need a starter.

That definitely qualifies an ace return and I’m sure Hahn would accept such a package in an instant.  I agree with Balta that it’s highly unlikely someone gives up that much for him at this point in time.  Having said that, if he’s absolutely dominant between now & July 31st then maybe there’s a non-zero chance.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I have ripped RH and Kw a lot, but if they really had any inkling of what they had, I give them enough credit to be able to say they never would have made that trade even if Shield was going to be a lot better than he turned out to be.

Mistakes of that magnitude cannot be made. Especially since we're trying so hard to trade for and/or develop quality prospects, and if we had done nothing at all we'd be in a better position. 

I know people have argued that trade and subsequent failures may have propelled the rebuild. Although we had absolutely no purpose for Shields at the point of the trade to begin with. It was a horrible job all around. 

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't think there's any way Rodon gets traded. Coming off an injury and still so far the same inconsistent pitcher he has been for 4 seasons. The white sox shouldn't trade him unless they get an ace-like package back for him based on potential, but no one is giving up that kind of price until he proves he's actually an ace.

Agreed, no shot

Hopefully he's here in the long run, has flashed ace potential quite a but, just has to be healthy and consistent

Kopech-Rodon-Hansen-Cease-Dunning-Giolito-Lopez quite the group

The Yankees entice me as a trade partner. They’re always looking to upgrade their bullpen and with Tommy Kahnle and Chasen Shreve pitching poorly all year, I don’t expect that to change. They also need someone to eat innings as Sonny Gray has been awful this year  

Some guys in their farm system that I like for the Sox and who I think are realistic gets are RHP Matt Sauer (NYY #10 (MLBP)/#15 (Fangraphs - 40 FV) Prospect) and RHP Cody Carroll (NYY #15 (MLBP)/#18 (Fangraphs - 40FV) Prospect). 

Sauer has some upside, he throws mid nineties and projects to be a middle of the rotation guy. He does have a funky head delivery and could be a reliever  

Carroll is a reliever who can probably pitch in the bigs now. MLB Pipeline has his fastball at 75 and Fangraphs has it at 65/70. He has had TJS before. And he sports a career 10.2 K/9. 

Some other guys that I like are Freicer Perez and Domingo Acevedo. 

11 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

The Yankees entice me as a trade partner. They’re always looking to upgrade their bullpen and with Tommy Kahnle and Chasen Shreve pitching poorly all year, I don’t expect that to change. They also need someone to eat innings as Sonny Gray has been awful this year  

Some guys in their farm system that I like for the Sox and who I think are realistic gets are RHP Matt Sauer (NYY #10 (MLBP)/#15 (Fangraphs - 40 FV) Prospect) and RHP Cody Carroll (NYY #15 (MLBP)/#18 (Fangraphs - 40FV) Prospect). 

Sauer has some upside, he throws mid nineties and projects to be a middle of the rotation guy. He does have a funky head delivery and could be a reliever  

Carroll is a reliever who can probably pitch in the bigs now. MLB Pipeline has his fastball at 75 and Fangraphs has it at 65/70. He has had TJS before. And he sports a career 10.2 K/9. 

Some other guys that I like are Freicer Perez and Domingo Acevedo. 

Who are the going to acquire from us though?  

Forgive me if this is already posted, but an article on MLB.com looks at potential trades via fans and a former GM analyzes them.

One trade, number 5, was us sending Jose Abreu to the Rockies for McMahon and Jordan Patterson.

Interestingly enough, the former GM stated that the White Sox would say "no" to this.

Personally, I might be all over this to get a good prospect in McMahon.

https://www.mlb.com/news/trade-deadline-proposals-former-gm-weighs-in/c-285424800

Edited by iWiN4PreP

16 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Forgive me if this is already posted, but an article on MLB.com looks at potential trades via fans and a former GM analyzes them.

One trade, number 5, was us sending Jose Abreu to the Rockies for McMahon and Jordan Patterson.

Interestingly enough, the former GM stated that the White Sox would say "no" to this.

https://www.mlb.com/news/trade-deadline-proposals-former-gm-weighs-in/c-285424800

I would say no to this as well.  Sox could get more than McMahon for Abreu.  Patterson is Andy Wilkins.  

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:41 PM, Flash Tizzle said:

We always have such low expectations. Why are we always assuming returns will be minimal? If Tatis Jr can be received from Shields or Arrieta from Cashner, we can't just have this defeatist mentality. It's the responsibility of our organization to take advantage of another team's weakness in evaluating their players. If it happen to us, why can't we expect the same from Hahn?

We can't expect that because Hahn was quite literally the one who couldn't value Tatis and traded him away.

14 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Agreed, no shot

Hopefully he's here in the long run, has flashed ace potential quite a but, just has to be healthy and consistent

Kopech-Rodon-Hansen-Cease-Dunning-Giolito-Lopez quite the group

First of all he's repped by Boras so no extension. Two, we are at least two years away Rodon has 3.5 years of control.

It might make sense to move him now if he continues to show he's healthy assuming we get a huge package for him.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

First of all he's repped by Boras so no extension. Two, we are at least two years away Rodon has 3.5 years of control.

It might make sense to move him now if he continues to show he's healthy assuming we get a huge package for him.

No one is giving you a huge package for Rodon. Not this year. Coming off a major shoulder injury, still inconsistent, at most he'll have a stretch of 4-5 good games by the trade deadline, assuming his next 3 are all really good? I'm not sure you get a top 100 prospect for that, seriously. If the White Sox are moving Rodon it's because they've decided something about him means they need to sell him off for a pittance, and you'll get a pittance back.

2 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

If someone will give something of value for Abreu, jump at it. That's Rick Hahn level dumb at this point.

19 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

That’s a good call on his part, but the reality is he is a kid who was out bonused by about 25 guys in his class and never played a game for the White Sox organization. To think he would be where he is at this point is either HOF scouting ability or some good luck, or just someone who at that point just preferred any prospect to James Shields.

I have ripped RH and Kw a lot, but if they really had any inkling of what they had, I give them enough credit to be able to say they never would have made that trade even if Shield was going to be a lot better than he turned out to be.

So you're saying that they had no inkling of what they had ? That's an indictment of them right there.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

No one is giving you a huge package for Rodon. Not this year. Coming off a major shoulder injury, still inconsistent, at most he'll have a stretch of 4-5 good games by the trade deadline, assuming his next 3 are all really good? I'm not sure you get a top 100 prospect for that, seriously. If the White Sox are moving Rodon it's because they've decided something about him means they need to sell him off for a pittance, and you'll get a pittance back.

I think that is sort of nuts. Rodon has control and great stuff if I'm the Yankees and have to give up a top 100 prospect for a rental like Hamels I would rather give up a large package for a guy with control.

I do think there is risk obviously health wise which is a big reason why I'd like to move him but to the team acquiring him at least that health risk doesn't come with a longterm deal plus he still has control.

Of course that is all predicated on him continuing to go out and dominate.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

If someone will give something of value for Abreu, jump at it. That's Rick Hahn level dumb at this point.

I mean Abreu has been below replacement level. It's just the truth I doubt we get anything for him unless some team is interested in trading for a name.

2 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

Strasburg is represented by Boras and he signed an extension with the Nationals.  Rodon has similar injury history now so I think an extension isn't out of the question.

2 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

I think that is sort of nuts. Rodon has control and great stuff if I'm the Yankees and have to give up a top 100 prospect for a rental like Hamels I would rather give up a large package for a guy with control.

I do think there is risk obviously health wise which is a big reason why I'd like to move him but to the team acquiring him at least that health risk doesn't come with a longterm deal plus he still has control.

Of course that is all predicated on him continuing to go out and dominate.

If the Yankees have to give up a top 100 prospect for Hamels then Hamels will not be a Yankee that would be idiotic of them. 

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So you're saying that they had no inkling of what they had ? That's an indictment of them right there.

Mis-evaluated Shields
Mis-evaluated Tatis
Mis-understood the market value of Shields, even if Shields was who the Sox thought he was and even if Tatis was prospect of modest talent

But these are common problems in organizations that are losing.

Edited by GreenSox

1 hour ago, GGajewski18 said:

Strasburg is represented by Boras and he signed an extension with the Nationals.  Rodon has similar injury history now so I think an extension isn't out of the question.

That sort of falls under the selection bias of so "you are saying there is a chance" the vast majority of Boras clients never sign extensions injured or otherwise infact Boras told Strasburg not to sign the extension and he did so anyways.

Besides signing him to extension when he has 3.5 years of control would be stupid anyways. Which maybe why Boras would go for it but why should the Whitesox? Boras has a pretty well read playbook he prefers his clients to hit FA. The only time that doesn't happen is usually when the offer is so heavily lopsided in favor of his client like the Elvin Andrus deal where he feels he won't ever get it on the FA market which is why extensions are so few and far between.

Phillies could be a decent trade partner. They could use a vet starter and a bullpen piece.

Shields and Soria 

for

Jake Thompson and Roman Quinn

We'd probably have to throw in some offsetting $ as well...and even then its still questionable what we'd get in return for what we have to trade. I think Jose was our only chance to get a legit prospect back and his slump probably killed that. We all have to cross our fingers Jose goes on a ridiculous tear the next 3 weeks. 

20 hours ago, GGajewski18 said:

Oh he signed an extension alright. Would argue that it is not team friendly, however. The team still has to pay to retain his clients (with his injury history, one can argue it was an overpay).

Edited by soxfan2014