Trade Proposals

ChiSoxJon

1 hour ago, ChiSoxJon said:

With Suter down, MIL will need a starter?

Same team Hahn fleeced Cordell from (a top 15 prospect) for Swarzak last year

I know MIL is into Britton too so maybe they go for Soria

How does RHP James Shields and RHP Joakim Soaria to MIL in exchange for 1B Jake Gatewood and LHP Brendan Murphy

That allows Hahn to package LHPs Avilan and Cedeno to BOS in exchange for OF Cole Brannen and RHP Roniel Raudes and call it a Deadline

Any chance that the Sox could add a lot of cash to that deal and pry away Corey Ray or Tristen Lutz from the Brewers?

From the Red Sox give me lottery tickets Antoni Flores & Danny Diaz.

Edited by Sox Fan In Husker Land

5 hours ago, Sox Fan In Husker Land said:

Any chance that the Sox could add a lot of cash to that deal and pry away Corey Ray or Tristen Lutz from the Brewers?

Never say never but highly unlikely

I like Flores from BOS too but I think the only way we get him is for Soria, lottery tickets make sense with a roster crunch coming

9 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Cordell was blocked with the Brewers and had to be put on a 40 man this year.  He was exactly who a smart team will try to trade for a reliever in July. From the Sox perspective, Cordell needs to be auditioned fairly quickly.  Unfortunate he got hurt.

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Cordell was blocked with the Brewers and had to be put on a 40 man this year.  He was exactly who a smart team will try to trade for a reliever in July. From the Sox perspective, Cordell needs to be auditioned fairly quickly.  Unfortunate he got hurt.

Cordell was available because he was hurt.

Jon MorosiVerified account @jonmorosi 3 minutes ago

In preliminary #RedSox-#Marlins trade talks, source says Miami indicated that Michael Chavis or Jay Groome alone would not be sufficient to acquire setup man Drew Steckenrider. That is one snapshot of the market value for controllable relievers.

For anyone like me who had never heard of Steckenrider before, he is someone who *should* have less value than Jace Fry. Fry is 2 years younger, and extra year of control, a lefty, and has been better in 2018. 

I would think we would all be pretty damn happy with either of these guys for Fry.

8 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

In preliminary #RedSox-#Marlins trade talks, source says Miami indicated that Michael Chavis or Jay Groome alone would not be sufficient to acquire setup man Drew Steckenrider. That is one snapshot of the market value for controllable relievers.

For anyone like me who had never heard of Steckenrider before, he is someone who *should* have less value than Jace Fry. Fry is 2 years younger, and extra year of control, a lefty, and has been better in 2018. 

I would think we would all be pretty damn happy with either of these guys for Fry.

Not really. If we trade 6 years of Fry for Chavis I'd be really annoyed. The guy is a lefty with an 11.6 K/9, good control, and left handed hitters hit .093 against him with a .299 OPS. His deception and profile do not scream regression to me. At some point we need to start keeping the guys who will be here until 2024. I understand the always trade relievers thing but Fry is an exception to me with his team control and consistency. The only way I can see us winning a trade in which we let him go is if he gets injured. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Sox Fan In Husker Land said:

The Brewers are a good fit for Leury, Soria and Shields.  Leury and Soria give them additional control and Shields can eat some innings and pitch respectably towards the back of their rotation.

Not sure AA and high A OFers are the best fit for the Sox right now though.  

Edited by turnin' two

16 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Eh, Fry has 2 TJS in his book so the needle there moves a bit more against him. Still I'd be hesitant to trade him as I've always liked Fry's stuff plus he's very young and fits the rebuild. I also wanna say Chavis is one of the most overrated prospects in the minors right now. He is not that good. 

31 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Not to mention that Groome just had TJ and Chavis had a roid suspension, so their value may not be quite what it was a year ago.

24 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Not really. If we trade 6 years of Fry for Chavis I'd be really annoyed. The guy is a lefty with an 11.6 K/9, good control, and left handed hitters hit .093 against him with a .299 OPS. His deception and profile do not scream regression to me. At some point we need to start keeping the guys who will be here until 2024. I understand the always trade relievers thing but Fry is an exception to me with his team control and consistency. The only way I can see us winning a trade in which we let him go is if he gets injured. 

You don't find 30 IP as too small of a sample size to keep him off limits to get an arm like Jay Groome?? Sure, I like Fry now too, but I wouldn't bank on him still being highly effective in 2 years when this team might be ready to contend. Relievers are so insanely volatile. 

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

8 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

You don't find 30 IP as too small of a sample size to keep him off limits to get an arm like Jay Groome?? Sure, I like Fry now too, but I wouldn't bank on him still being highly effective in 2 years when this team might be ready to contend. Relievers are so insanely volatile. 

Of course it's not much sample size, and while his numbers may worsen, I think that he has the control and makeup to remain an effective reliever if healthy. Groome, on the other hand, is someone who may never be healthy. Relievers are indeed insanely volatile but I'd still be hesitant to give up on one who's so promising, cheap, and throws 5 quality pitches 

38 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Or if you get Austin Riley.

19 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Does anyone want to bet the Sox stand down at the deadline and make August deals?

I think zero is chance they make no July deals.  Guys like Avalin & Cedeno lose value come August as they could be claimed by anyone.  Shields would likely clear waivers and maybe Soria makes it to a contender, but again it limits your negotiating power.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think zero is chance they make no July deals.  Guys like Avalin & Cedeno lose value come August as they could be claimed by anyone.  Shields would likely clear waivers and maybe Soria makes it to a contender, but again it limits your negotiating power.

Agree with all of this. I think Shields, Cedeno, Avilan and Soria are all "take the best offer" candidates. The Sox have pitching in Charlotte they would like to call up to start working with them and get em acclimated to the majors this year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Wild

4 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Eh, Fry has 2 TJS in his book so the needle there moves a bit more against him. Still I'd be hesitant to trade him as I've always liked Fry's stuff plus he's very young and fits the rebuild. I also wanna say Chavis is one of the most overrated prospects in the minors right now. He is not that good. 

Chavis is super overrated IMO.  I’ve been a big fan of Groome and would love to get him somehow, but he has to come at a discount because of his injury.

Fry is someone who may be able to start.  He was a starter; I think he has sufficient pitches to start. They just moved him in the pen after his surgery, he pitched well, so there he is.  He's got some MB in him - not sure he has that precise command, at least as of now.

7 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Fry is someone who may be able to start.  He was a starter; I think he has sufficient pitches to start. They just moved him in the pen after his surgery, he pitched well, so there he is.  He's got some MB in him - not sure he has that precise command, at least as of now.

He's got way more swing and miss in his game than Buehrle did as evidenced by the K rate, and less control as evidenced by the substantially higher (though similar to Buehrle's year out of the pen) walk rate. Do they really want to risk starting a guy with 2 TJS already, though?

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

1 hour ago, BlackSox13 said:

Agree with all of this. I think Shields, Cedeno, Avilan and Soria are all "take the best offer" candidates. The Sox have pitching in Charlotte they would like to call up to start working with them and get em acclimated to the majors this year.

I hope you guys are right, I am surprised that we haven’t heard anything yet. And yes I know there’s a week left before the deadline.

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

I hope you guys are right, I am surprised that we haven’t heard anything yet. And yes I know there’s a week left before the deadline.

I think contenders are calling around to get an idea of what the going rates are for the sellers. Plus it's not like the four pitchers I named are hot commodities. They are trade worthy but not necessarily the best pitching options out there on the trade market.

This has to be the craziest time of year in baseball for contenders and sellers. Can you imagine all the deals being discussed behind the scenes that we don't hear about? 

20 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

With Suter down, MIL will need a starter?

I know MIL is into Britton too so maybe they go for Soria

How does RHP James Shields and RHP Joakim Soaria to MIL in exchange for 1B Jake Gatewood and LHP Brendan Murphy

That allows Hahn to package LHPs Avilan and Cedeno to BOS in exchange for OF Cole Brannen and RHP Roniel Raudes and call it a Deadline

Bleacher report just suggested Soria to the Braves for LHP Kyle Muller and C Brett Cumberland. Interesting proposal, I’m not sure we can do much better than that, although I would hope so. 

25 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Bleacher report just suggested Soria to the Braves for LHP Kyle Muller and C Brett Cumberland. Interesting proposal, I’m not sure we can do much better than that, although I would hope so. 

Think I would take that deal and run. It's not a bad proposal from bleacher report, which surprises me.