Trade Proposals

ChiSoxJon

32 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Bleacher report just suggested Soria to the Braves for LHP Kyle Muller and C Brett Cumberland. Interesting proposal, I’m not sure we can do much better than that, although I would hope so. 

My roommate is actually good friends with Kyle Muller from high school. I didn't realize how good he has been this year. I'd be happy with that deal

1 hour ago, BlackSox13 said:

I think contenders are calling around to get an idea of what the going rates are for the sellers. Plus it's not like the four pitchers I named are hot commodities. They are trade worthy but not necessarily the best pitching options out there on the trade market.

This has to be the craziest time of year in baseball for contenders and sellers. Can you imagine all the deals being discussed behind the scenes that we don't hear about? 

After I posted, I went back to whitesox.com and looked up transactions from last July and August. There was a lot of activity then and there should be with Soria, Shields, Garcia and Abreu available (they obviously won’t all get traded). One guest on Bernstein and McKnight didn’t think they’d deal anyone. We will have to see what happens.

3 minutes ago, The Beast said:

After I posted, I went back to whitesox.com and looked up transactions from last July and August. There was a lot of activity then and there should be with Soria, Shields, Garcia and Abreu available (they obviously won’t all get traded). One guest on Bernstein and McKnight didn’t think they’d deal anyone. We will have to see what happens.

I have my doubts on Abreu and Avi being traded, both are buy low candidates. Soria, Shields, Avilan and maybe Cedeno should be interesting pitching options for contenders. Same with Fry if the Sox are willing to trade him. There should be interest in Leury and Yolmer as well due to their versatility.

11 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

There should be interest in Leury and Yolmer as well due to their versatility.

What are the Sox going to get for trading Leury and Yolmer? A prospect who doesn't project to be as good as Leury or Yolmer is right now. A contender will have few Yolmers and Leurys.

Edited by GreenSox

12 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

What are the Sox going to get for trading Leury and Yolmer? A prospect who doesn't project to be as good as Leury or Yolmer is right now. A contender will have few Yolmers and Leurys.

A contender will have a have few guys like those two on their benches?  I’m not sure that’s exactly true.

40 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

A contender will have a have few guys like those two on their benches?  I’m not sure that’s exactly true.

Teams that would be interested in Whit Merrifield are probably the ones interested in Sanchez.

Brewers and Redsox immediately come to mind.

36 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Cubs don’t have the chips unless they want to use Happ as the centerpiece.  Not sure if that really makes sense for us from a fit standpoint.

If you're trading Rodon now, it better be for a Q like package.

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Lol I only said there should be interest. Both are switch hitters with Yolmer capable of playing second, short and third while Leury can play all three outfield positions. Not saying they will be traded and not sure what their value would be, but I'd bet teams are interested. 

5 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Lol I only said there should be interest. Both are switch hitters with Yolmer capable of playing second, short and third while Leury can play all three outfield positions. Not saying they will be traded and not sure what their value would be, but I'd bet teams are interested. 

What I meant to say was that a  contender WILL have a few Yolmer's or Leurys so they have some value on a team But both are so underdeveloped as hitters that I think any prospect will be really modest.

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

What I meant to say was that a  contender WILL have a few Yolmer's or Leurys so they have some value on a team But both are so underdeveloped as hitters that I think any prospect will be really modest.

Yeah I wouldn't expect a big return though I think Yolmer could snag a back of the top 100 prospect. I think it's likely the Sox value Yolmer more than another team would. I would take a decent offer for Leury since the outfield is crowded anyway.

5 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I still don’t agree with this.  Most major league teams don’t have league average hitters with plus defensive versatility on their bench.  If they do, they probably only have one of those guys (with few exceptions).  I’m not suggesting we’d get a haul for either guy, but let’s not act these guys are a dime a dozen types.

1 hour ago, BlackSox13 said:

Yeah I wouldn't expect a big return though I think Yolmer could snag a back of the top 100 prospect. I think it's likely the Sox value Yolmer more than another team would. I would take a decent offer for Leury since the outfield is crowded anyway.

Yolmer has much more value to another team playing 2B then he does us playing 3B.

1 hour ago, wrathofhahn said:

Yolmer has much more value to another team playing 2B then he does us playing 3B.

I disagree. Without Yolmer playing third we'd be looking former third baseman like Davidson, Delmonico or Skole playing the hot corner. No thanks to all three. The next best option after Yolmer is Jose Rondon who's bat isn't suited for third either. Yolmer has plenty of value to the Sox at third base.

3 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

I disagree. Without Yolmer playing third we'd be looking former third baseman like Davidson, Delmonico or Skole playing the hot corner. No thanks to all three. The next best option after Yolmer is Jose Rondon who's bat isn't suited for third either. Yolmer has plenty of value to the Sox at third base.

That's fair but that is more a byproduct of the fact we are rebuilding and our other options being terrible then Yolmer's bat playing well there. His defense is also better at 2B. I mean sure we can play him at 3B but normally you expect more offense from the hot corners.

Which is why it makes sense to move him now assuming we get a good offer which is questionable with the market at 2B right now.

Edited by wrathofhahn

11 hours ago, steveno89 said:

Bleacher report just suggested Soria to the Braves for LHP Kyle Muller and C Brett Cumberland. Interesting proposal, I’m not sure we can do much better than that, although I would hope so. 

Pretty good return, I'd shoot a little bit higher but if that's the return I'm pretty happy...Won't be getting a Hand-like return but hopefully better than what NYM got for Familia which looks absolutely disgraceful after what BAL got for Britton (much better)

11 hours ago, BlackSox13 said:

Think I would take that deal and run. It's not a bad proposal from bleacher report, which surprises me.

Stunned, Anyone have a link?

13 hours ago, BlackSox13 said:

Agree with all of this. I think Shields, Cedeno, Avilan and Soria are all "take the best offer" candidates. The Sox have pitching in Charlotte they would like to call up to start working with them and get em acclimated to the majors this year.

I'd love to see Stephens, Danish, Fulmer, Hamilton up already as replacements

13 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Fry is someone who may be able to start.  He was a starter; I think he has sufficient pitches to start. They just moved him in the pen after his surgery, he pitched well, so there he is.  He's got some MB in him - not sure he has that precise command, at least as of now.

I don't think he should be messed around with, Sox have a nasty LOOGY and tons of potential high end starters in the minors, don't mess with him

10 hours ago, The Beast said:

I see Abreu and Avi here long term but why in God's world would Soria remain here, literally offers nothing to this losing club. actually taking up a spot of a prospect who should be developing

8 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

Also Rodon could be a hot commodity.

There are teams that desperately need SP in contention right now. Yankees. Cubs. Some small market teams like the Pirates may get involved due to the amount of control.

No shot Rodon is moved right now, likely not a discussion for years and hopefully not ever

13 hours ago, steveno89 said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2787206-ideal-2018-mlb-trade-deadline-targets-for-every-contender#slide2

Decent article

34 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Really do wonder what a return for a package involving Soria, Shields, Avilan, and Cedeno would look like, unlikely to happen

Yeah very unlikely. Shields isn't really worth anything. He'll go to a team that just needs innings until October only to be left off the playoff roster.

Edited by soxfan2014

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah very unlikely. Shields isn't really worth anything. He'll go to a team that just needs innings until October only to be left off the playoff roster.

Good chance of that however with teams looking for a ton in exchange for mediocre guys like Happ and Fiers I think Shields should definitely draw good interest
NYY, CHC, MIL, and OAK all make sense for Shields

Shields can likely net (assuming CWS eats cash) a respectable prospect like a Trevor Lane or Duane Underwood Jr. or Brendan Murphy or Dakota Chalmers or be packaged along with Soria and/or Avilan

13 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Really do wonder what a return for a package involving Soria, Shields, Avilan, and Cedeno would look like, unlikely to happen

Teams seem pretty willing to move 24+ year old AA/AAA players who have performed well, but aren't necessary high ceiling guys, i.e. Cordell, Beeks that just got traded, etc. 

I'd rather take a swing on a young player that is far from the majors and see if we can develop him