Trade Proposals

ChiSoxJon

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Sure, if they are legit lottery tickets.
But to me moving Avi is priority.

I think the Sox may try to be relatively decent next year (make some FA moves), and don't plan on just giving Avi away.   

Hello everyone my first time doing this and just to let you know I am a huge white Sox fan but this team has nobody anyone wants. If you watch them play every day like i do they do things no other team does. We are stuck with this garbage product and it will take years to correct if it happens at all.

Just now, whitesoxbrad said:

Hello everyone my first time doing this and just to let you know I am a huge white Sox fan but this team has nobody anyone wants. If you watch them play every day like i do they do things no other team does. We are stuck with this garbage product and it will take years to correct if it happens at all.

Hang in there, Brad. It'll get better.

3 minutes ago, whitesoxbrad said:

Except that there's a force in Charlotte waiting to be unleashed on the league, and several waves of talent behind him. It'll get better, starting next year.

8 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Then I would suggest that they trade Avi for some young pitching.

Why?  They alerady have 4/5s of the rotation full of young pitching, and have quite a bit more coming in the nearish future. Between Rodon, Lopez, Giolito, Kopech, and then add in guys like Stephens and Covey that could fill the 5th spot, and guys like Dunning, Cease, Hansen  and even Medeiros not too terribly far behind.

I don't think young pitching is on the top of the Sox wish list at the moment. 

12 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Then I would suggest that they trade Avi for some young pitching.

Point is, Avi's has minimal value.  No one is giving the Sox a top 100 type for him right now. They're better off holding onto him and seeing how things shake out next season than just giving him away for lottery tickets that are unlikely to ever play for the Sox. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Point is, Avi's has minimal value.  No one is giving the Sox a top 100 type for him right now. They're better off holding onto him and seeing how things shake out next season than just giving him away for lottery tickets that are unlikely to ever play for the Sox. 

The same is true of Abreu. Neither Abreu nor Avi are going anywhere today. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Why?  They alerady have 4/5s of the rotation full of young pitching, and have quite a bit more coming in the nearish future. Between Rodon, Lopez, Giolito, Kopech, and then add in guys like Stephens and Covey that could fill the 5th spot, and guys like Dunning, Cease, Hansen  and even Medeiros not too terribly far behind.

I don't think young pitching is on the top of the Sox wish list at the moment. 

Why?  Because the Sox have the worst starting pitching in MLB.  So far they are 0/3 with top starting pitching prospects (and yes, they could improve).
The pitching is why this team is so bad.  Not the hitting, the pitching.

Just now, GreenSox said:

Why?  Because the Sox have the worst starting pitching in MLB.  So far they are 0/3 with top starting pitching prospects (and yes, they could improve).

So you're suggestion is to trade Avi for more young pitching (which is the strength of the Sox system), and not let Rodon, Lopez, Gio and Kopech get their reps at hte ML level?  Avi isn't getting any impact prospects.  And the Sox are going to give Lopez and Gio at the very least all of next season to figure it out.  Rodon and Kopech much more.  We have a good amount of SP depth in the minors.  You can never have enough pitching - true- but trading Avi right now for some mid level SP prospects would make very little sense IMO. 

10 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

You're counting Fulmer and not Rodon? That seems biased for the purpose of making your point, especially since a lot of people thought the bullpen was Fulmer's destination anyway. Rodon has clearly developed into a frontline starter IMO. Also, Lopez and Giolito could still become frontend or mid-rotation starters. Then there's Kopech, Stephens, Adams, Guerrero, Cease, Hansen, Dunning, Medeiros, Lambert, Flores, and all but one of those guys are legit prospects who have performed well in AA or higher this year. If you get 1/3 of Lopez, Giolito, and Fulmer to stick as a starter, then 1/3 of the list of guys in AA or higher that I listed to stick as a starter, and combine them with Rodon, you have a starting rotation and likely a formidable bullpen.

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

So you're suggestion is to trade Avi for more young pitching (which is the strength of the Sox system), and not let Rodon, Lopez, Gio and Kopech get their reps at hte ML level?  Avi isn't getting any impact prospects.  And the Sox are going to give Lopez and Gio at the very least all of next season to figure it out.  Rodon and Kopech much more.  We have a good amount of SP depth in the minors.  You can never have enough pitching - true- but trading Avi right now for some mid level SP prospects would make very little sense IMO. 

I agree the Sox have potential rotation pieces but I'm not too sanguine about Giolito or Lopez...hope I'm wrong. For me the bigger question mark is IF. Just not sold on Anderson or even Moncada for that matter. Plus the corners (Yolmer and Abreu) are not too inspring either.

1 minute ago, Dam8610 said:

You're counting Fulmer and not Rodon? That seems biased for the purpose of making your point, especially since a lot of people thought the bullpen was Fulmer's destination anyway. Rodon has clearly developed into a frontline starter IMO. Also, Lopez and Giolito could still become frontend or mid-rotation starters. Then there's Kopech, Stephens, Adams, Guerrero, Cease, Hansen, Dunning, Medeiros, Lambert, Flores, and all but one of those guys are legit prospects who have performed well in AA or higher this year. If you get 1/3 of Lopez, Giolito, and Fulmer to stick as a starter, then 1/3 of the list of guys in AA or higher that I listed to stick as a starter, and combine them with Rodon, you have a starting rotation and likely a formidable bullpen.

At least to my eyes, the case for moving Garcia isn't "We need pitching prospects", I think your list is a decent one. The case for moving Garcia for whatever return you can get is entirely that this team doesn't look like they're ready in 2019, and that is Garcia's last year before free agency. So, if you can save $10 million on him next year and get a couple of decent players at whatever position, you might as well do that...but I still don't see anyone giving up a couple decent players for him right now.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

At least to my eyes, the case for moving Garcia isn't "We need pitching prospects", I think your list is a decent one. The case for moving Garcia for whatever return you can get is entirely that this team doesn't look like they're ready in 2019, and that is Garcia's last year before free agency. So, if you can save $10 million on him next year and get a couple of decent players at whatever position, you might as well do that...but I still don't see anyone giving up a couple decent players for him right now.

I'd honestly want right side of IF guys (SS, 3B) or Cs if we're targeting specific positions. I could see a team coming to the Sox with a good offer for Avi, someone with a need for a power bat that doesn't want to pay elite prices. The question is would Hahn take the deal.

12 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

You're counting Fulmer and not Rodon? That seems biased for the purpose of making your point, especially since a lot of people thought the bullpen was Fulmer's destination anyway. 

Rodon is not a pitching prospect.  He's in his 4th year. He was drafted before the rebuild. He pitched in the majors 2 years before the Sox decided to rebuild.I know the Sox have a lot of pitching prospects.
But the start of this thread is that the Sox want to be decent next year. And my response is simply that the reason they aren't decent this year is the pitching.
What some people don't seem to appreciate is that Davidson, Leury, Palka, and Narvaez have out-performed on offense players that were fawned over from 2014-16.  I guess it's the non-hyped prospect bias.

Edited by GreenSox

5 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Avilan and Avi Garcia? 

Honestly, I could see it. I've chalked the Phillies up as a landing spot for a Machado (for either short or third) or Harper. Theoretically, they'd have a year of Garcia in the OF and if they landed Machado, that'd be a pretty good offense.

Edited by soxfan2014

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

Rodon is not a pitching prospect.  He's in his 4th year. I know the Sox have a lot of pitching prospects.
But the start of this thread is that the Sox want to be decent next year. And my response is simply that the reason they aren't decent this year is the pitching.
What some people don't get is that Davidson, Leury, Palka, and Narvaez have out-performed on offense players that were fawned over from 2014-16.  I guess it's the non-hyped prospect bias.

Rodon isn't a prospect, but he is a pitcher the White Sox developed that's still on the team.

What players are you speaking of that were "fawned over from 2014-2016"?

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Exactly.  But as I said earlier, I think the Sox will get involved with some FAs this offseason.  Probably not TOP TOP tier like Machado and Harper, but I could see them going after an AJ Pollock type to lock down CF for 3 years, and maybe a 3B.  I think they want to try to start winning some games next season, and if everything clicks, maybe a WC contender.  Having Avi in a corner instead of Delmonico, Leury, Tilson, Palka, etc., is probably more valuable to them than trading him for scraps that will never amount to anything.  You can always trade him for scraps next July anyway.  He hasn't played enough this season to have any value. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Exactly.  But as I said earlier, I think the Sox will get involved with some FAs this offseason.  Probably not TOP TOP tier like Machado and Harper, but I could see them going after an AJ Pollock type to lock down CF for 3 years, and maybe a 3B.  I think they want to try to start winning some games next season, and if everything clicks, maybe a WC contender.  Having Avi in a corner instead of Delmonico, Leury, Tilson, Palka, etc., is probably more valuable to them than trading him for scraps that will never amount to anything.  You can always trade him for scraps next July anyway.  He hasn't played enough this season to have any value. 

Agreed. Winter meetings at the earliest but definitely not today (unless of course a team shocks with an overpay).

Edited by soxfan2014