Trade Proposals

ChiSoxJon

9 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

That's fair but that is more a byproduct of the fact we are rebuilding and our other options being terrible then Yolmer's bat playing well there. His defense is also better at 2B. I mean sure we can play him at 3B but normally you expect more offense from the hot corners.

Which is why it makes sense to move him now assuming we get a good offer which is questionable with the market at 2B right now.

Yeah man, the Sox have not had any luck developing a third baseman. Imagine the defense we might have seen from third base this year if not for Yolmer's versatility. Yikes. I prefer to keep Yolmer at least until the Sox develop, sign or trade for a third baseman and then have Yolmer as the utility infielder. 

20. James Shields, RHP, Chicago White Sox
2018 stats: W/L: 4-11, ERA: 4.26, WAR: 1.0, WHIP: 1.263, SO: 97
Last 30 days: ERA: 3.27, QS: 4, IP: 33, H: 30, BB: 11, SO: 29

The White Sox would love to be able to trade Shields for at least a mid-level prospect. They point to his four quality starts over the last month and his resurgent changeup. However, so far the inquiring texts, emails and phone calls from contending teams have been practically non-existent.

Jim Bowden ranked the top starting pitchers available for trade.  While I’m not a huge fan of the guy, I wouldn’t get my hopes up for an exciting return.

• Like 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Jim Bowden ranked the top starting pitchers available for trade.  While I’m not a huge fan of the guy, I wouldn’t get my hopes up for an exciting return.

For Shields? We won't get much the fact he's even movable is a miracle in itself.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Are you suggesting we generally undervalue our players here?

I'm suggesting that White Sox fans, more than any other fanbase, seem concerned with the fairness of a deal and are quick to dismiss any proposal that would give the team good value as unrealistic.

Just now, Dam8610 said:

I'm suggesting that White Sox fans, more than any other fanbase, seem concerned with the fairness of a deal and are quick to dismiss any proposal that would give the team good value as unrealistic.

I've found that as well but Shields isn't an example of this. There won't be a deep market for him and honestly I'd prefer guys like Happ, Helickson, Evoldi, and even Matt Harvey.

I mean he barely throws 90 now. There just isn't going to be much demand for that kind of pitcher who gets by with smoke and mirrors who will likely get rocked in the playoffs. Then you throw in his salary and buyout complications.

I'd be happy just to get any sort of interesting prospect for him.

Edited by wrathofhahn

I feel like the past year has actually just made this board much better at gauging markets for players. I'll say that players like Shields/Soria/Avilan are very hard for me to figure out actual return pieces, but the expectation of either older blocked players or younger interesting backend pieces seems right. 

It wouldn't be an awful thing for pitchers to learn to be major leaguers from James Shields. The young pitchers seem to love the guy, and seem to learn from him.

That said I would trade him for literally anything, but if no one wants him, he would be beneficial to have around. 

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It wouldn't be an awful thing for pitchers to learn to be major leaguers from James Shields. The young pitchers seem to love the guy, and seem to learn from him.

That said I would trade him for literally anything, but if no one wants him, he would be beneficial to have around. 

If not DFA, then bullpen. Stephens needs a shot to start.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

If the Sox can get a guy like Cordell for any of their guys, it's a win, even if the Cordell-like guy winds up playing like Cordell. You trade for enough of them, one will eventually work out.

I would disagree. They don't need any more of this type of deal. They have enough of these AAAA fodder that may pan out ie Delmonico, Palka, Skole. They should trade for true speculation like the Shield for Tatis deal.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

When Cease was on the broadcast last night he mentioned Shields helping him. I know Dunning said Shields helped him this Spring. 

Wonder if Shields would want to be a pitching coach when he’s done?

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I would disagree. They don't need any more of this type of deal. They have enough of these AAAA fodder that may pan out ie Delmonico, Palka, Skole. They should trade for true speculation like the Shield for Tatis deal.  

Agree, take the lottery ticket with the one exception being a 3B.  For example, while I don’t see happening, I would happily take a chance on JD Davis for Soria because we have less depth at 3B.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Agree, take the lottery ticket with the one exception being a 3B.  For example, while I don’t see happening, I would happily take a chance on JD Davis for Soria because we have less depth at 3B.

That's what I was going to say - no AAA OFs but look at 3B or any middle infielder.  Maybe catcher.

43 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Okay, so I’m seeing replies in the Fry thread but I want to know - who is next to go? Cedeno? Shields? 

Cedeno or Avalin.  A lot of teams could use left-handed relief help.  Shields will be more of an acquired taste.  I still feel like Leury is the wild card here though.