Trade Proposals

ChiSoxJon

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Agreed. Winter meetings at the earliest but definitely not today (unless of course a team shocks with an overpay).

Right.  Phillies come along and offer a deal headlined by Sixto Sanchez or Adonis Medina for Avi and Avilian, the Sox are going to take it.  But that isn't going to happen. 

Regarding Rodon- what is stopping the Sox from paying him once he does reach FA? A common sentiment expressed here on these boards is that the Sox will have a plethora of monies to spend when the time comes for it. I don't know that Rodon is going to get cartoon deals thrown at his feet from all directions. He'll be significantly more expensive, yes, but not to the point that it can be concluded he is gone after his current contract is up.

1 minute ago, Swingandalongonetoleft said:

Regarding Rodon- what is stopping the Sox from paying him once he does reach FA? A common sentiment expressed here on these boards is that the Sox will have a plethora of monies to spend when the time comes for it. I don't know that Rodon is going to get cartoon deals thrown at his feet from all directions. He'll be significantly more expensive, yes, but not to the point that it can be concluded he is gone after his current contract is up.

I can't speak for everyone, but I just don't like pitchers signing for a ton of money for 7-8 years when they are in their upper-20s. Especially if they had prior arm issues in their career. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I can't speak for everyone, but I just don't like pitchers signing for a ton of money for 7-8 years when they are in their upper-20s. Especially if they had prior arm issues in their career. 

Another reason why the Sox crop of pitchers under 25 is impressive, and very, very valuable.  

45 minutes ago, Baker said:

I would trade Carlos Rodon right now to St Louis for Alex Reyes. Seems fair, with similar injury concerns. Who would say no?  

White Sox would say "no" because after coming back from TJS, Reyes is out for the year again with a lat tear.  

7 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

Rodon is 25 and showing signs of a breakout.

If Rodon can stay on this roll for the next season, and we decide then that he doesn't fit the window, then we're talking about having the most valuable asset on the trade market next season by a long shot.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, FT35 said:

Shields for Sonny Gray?  

We flip Shields and bring Sonny in to see if we can Coop him.  If not, we're really only out a wild card prospect from an August Shields waiver deal.  If it works though...hmmm...

Lol.

8 minutes ago, Baker said:

Haha. But Rodon doesn’t fit the Sox window very well. 

Sure he does.  He's around 3 more seasons.  If the Sox aren't at least a competitive team by 2020, things have gone very wrong.  You could trade him trade deadline 2020 and get a haul if he's been healthy.  There is a point of diminishing returns, as the Sale trade clearly reflected.  

7 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

Rodon is 25 and showing signs of a breakout.

He's also a Boras client and you have to assume they are going to FA under 99.9% of circumstances. 2021 is his walk year, which is also the 1st year the Sox should be clear contenders. The poster that said he doesn't fit the window is 100% correct. Hahn would be dumb not to at least listen to offers. I'll be shocked if Rodon keeps pitching well if he's here in August 2019. 

1 minute ago, Baker said:

Breakout version 5.0?   Rodon only serves for 1 contention year, 2021. Reyes 21-24. 

Who's to say that Reyes will even be able to pitch during those years? His injury history is far more extensive and severe than Rodon's

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Moncada is under team control through 2023. 

I know.  I was kidding.  But seriously, trading Rodon makes no sense unless someone overpays.  There may be a time to trade him in the next few years, right now is now that time.

I also think he does fit into the front half of the contention window. I think all had hoped that would start in 2019, and that's looking very unlikely, but this team should be respectable by 2020, and having 2 years of a front of rotation LHP is quite valuable.  

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If Rodon can stay on this roll for the next season, and we decide then that he doesn't fit the window, then we're talking about having the most valuable asset on the trade market next season by a long shot.

Yessir. No reason at all to attempt to cash out right now.

1 hour ago, Swingandalongonetoleft said:

Scott Boras. Boras clients go to the highest bidder. The Sox have given out exactly 2 long term contracts past 3 years on impending FA pitcher, and the one time they went over four years it backfired horribly on them. The other was Buehrle. Remember the whole John Danks saga? He's the only pitcher they've ever gone 5 years on. I don't agree with Reinsdorf on many things regarding how he runs the team, but going 5+ seasons on a FA pitcher is one of them. Sale doesn't count because they bought out 2 FA years and signed him to a 7 year deal 2 seasons into his career. In reality, that was a 2 year deal that they ended up trading anyway. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1