The worst game attended during the worst season in my lifetime as a Sox fan

Greg Hibbard

Last night.

I realized it as I sat there watching Abreu take terrible swing after terrible swing in one of the final innings, clearly deep in the worst 37-game slump of his career with no clear end in sight.

...as I tried to root for Palka, Tilson, and a host of other filler guys do anything resembling exciting. 

...as I realized two of the best guys on the field wearing a Sox uni last night were probably Yolmer Sanchez and Leury Garcia, two guys who might not make it onto the roster of half of the MLB clubs. As I realized the most exciting thing that happened outside of that Tim Anderson double was an outfield assist that prevented the Cardinals from actually plating 15 or 16 runs in regulation instead of 14.

...as I watched the White Sox fall to 31 games below .500 in early July for the first time since? Ever?

I am totally onboard with this rebuild, but last night was really really rough, especially in person. There must have been 2/3rds Cardinals fans in the ballpark. BTW I never really mind Cards games as usually the vibe is congenial and their fans are typically pretty well behaved in our ballpark.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Leury and Yolmer are both better than some of the guys we had starting for us during the great competitive seasons of 2015 and 2016.

Of course they are. But I'm saying Leury and Yolmer are two of the BEST guys on this team right now.

In the last 28 days the TEAM has a sub .700 OPS and a 6+ ERA.

• Thanks 1

I have also sat through some other terrible games. I went to opening day in 1991 and attempted to rationalize a very poorly conceived ballpark while the Tigers thrashed us 16-0.  In the same era, I watched Dan Pasqua break up a David Cone no-hitter in the 8th inning with a meaningless double, down like 8-0. I believe it was raining and cold most of that game.

I'm saying this was the worst game in the WORST SEASON. I can't imagine it getting worse than this right now.

8 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I have also sat through some other terrible games. I went to opening day in 1991 and attempted to rationalize a very poorly conceived ballpark while the Tigers thrashed us 16-0.  In the same era, I watched Dan Pasqua break up a David Cone no-hitter in the 8th inning with a meaningless double, down like 8-0. I believe it was raining and cold most of that game.

I'm saying this was the worst game in the WORST SEASON. I can't imagine it getting worse than this right now.

2013 down the stretch. Not only was the team bad but they didn't care.

8 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I feel your pain sir.

12 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I was also at both of those. That opening day was awful, McDowell was pitching. I think he only got one or two outs.

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I was at the Nats game last year, I think, when it was something like 9-0 WASH after 3 innings. That was fun.

I was there last Friday and got to watch Hector Santiago hung out to dry for like 8 runs in the 8th inning. Still got a fireworks show and some fresh ballpark guac. I'd do that again.

48 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I was at the game also. It was so bad it didn't even bother me. Maybe you can't imagine it getting worse now but I sure don't see this team getting better anytime soon.  The beginning of this so called rebuild is not working out. Too many of the young players have not performed well. (Moncada, Giolito, Fulmer and Anderson) The only young player who has done well is Lopez. I sat by 3 Cardinals fans last night and they couldn't believe that Hahn has been the GM for 6 years and this team is as bad as it is. They're surprised that Hahn still has his job.

• Thanks 1

I feel ya.  Sox are in town soon here in Seattle and I'm not sure if I will even bother to get tickets.  Usually try and either go with my good buddy who's a neutral or just grab a solo ticket by the Sox dugout for cheap.  This year I'm not sure.

Who would I even really want to see?  A scuffling Jose, a treading water Moncada?  Tim would be the only guy really.  Maybe Lopez.

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Last night.

I realized it as I sat there watching Abreu take terrible swing after terrible swing in one of the final innings, clearly deep in the worst 37-game slump of his career with no clear end in sight.

...as I tried to root for Palka, Tilson, and a host of other filler guys do anything resembling exciting. 

...as I realized two of the best guys on the field wearing a Sox uni last night were probably Yolmer Sanchez and Leury Garcia, two guys who might not make it onto the roster of half of the MLB clubs. As I realized the most exciting thing that happened outside of that Tim Anderson double was an outfield assist that prevented the Cardinals from actually plating 15 or 16 runs in regulation instead of 14.

...as I watched the White Sox fall to 31 games below .500 in early July for the first time since? Ever?

I am totally onboard with this rebuild, but last night was really really rough, especially in person. There must have been 2/3rds Cardinals fans in the ballpark. BTW I never really mind Cards games as usually the vibe is congenial and their fans are typically pretty well behaved in our ballpark.

Your heart has to go out to the Cardinals fans, though.  They are going through a rough time as well.  Do you realize this season threatens to be the first time in 20 years that the Redbirds might go three seasons in a row without making the postseason?  They haven't made it to the playoffs since 2015!  I mean, talk about a drought!

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

I was also at both of those. That opening day was awful, McDowell was pitching. I think he only got one or two outs.

The next day then then had a special "ceremony". Jack told me about it:

ML: You also started the first game ever in new Comiskey Park when it opened against the Tigers. We won’t talk very much about what happened that day though! (Author’s Note: The Sox lost 16 - 0!)

JM: "That was a strange game. Sammy Sosa fell down going after a ball in right field, we gave up some bad hop hits, the Tigers had a ten run inning. The next day some of the guys were concerned that maybe the baseball "gods" were angry because we left old Comiskey Park. So before the game, before the fans got in, we had a little ceremony out by second base. We took Scott Radinsky’s jersey and burned it. We just wanted to make sure the baseball "gods" knew it wasn’t our fault that we left the old park!"

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

At least yesterday it was a game for a while. Back when the Sox first got Shields, when it's 8-0 in the second inning you can think of about a trillion better ways to spend your money than buying a White Sox ticket. 

I remember there was a Shields game I went to that was like 8-0 after two and I hadn’t even entered the park yet.  Easy to say that was one of the worst game I have ever been to.

The Rodon-Yankees game in 2015 where it was like 13-2 after 3 innings (which were like 3 hours long) and laroche eventually pitched. That was bad. Also was right after they stood pat at the deadline since they were now "in it" and this was the start of a free fall.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:29 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

I remember there was a Shields game I went to that was like 8-0 after two and I hadn’t even entered the park yet.  Easy to say that was one of the worst game I have ever been to.

Manny Machado 3 homers in 1st 3 innings. Don't even remember the final score. I was finally able to convince my wife to leave in the 7th inning.

Worst game I've ever seen In 50+ years. 1970 Sox were 56-106. These guys have a chance to be worse.