The worst game attended during the worst season in my lifetime as a Sox fan

Greg Hibbard

My Dad had season tickets to the 1977 Sox when I was a kid.  Starting rotation was like Gossage, Forster, Jesse Jefferson, etc.  But I flew into town last year for the rainy second doubleheader game last year where Fulmer gave up all those homers. Horrific.  Really the sense of "they're never going to be good again."  Still fun to see my brother and his kids, though.

Reasons I'm still watching: Carlos Rodon, Reynaldo Lopez, rooting for Giolito to turn it around, and looking for progress on Moncada.

4 hours ago, Timmy U said:

My Dad had season tickets to the 1977 Sox when I was a kid.  Starting rotation was like Gossage, Forster, Jesse Jefferson, etc.  But I flew into town last year for the rainy second doubleheader game last year where Fulmer gave up all those homers. Horrific.  Really the sense of "they're never going to be good again."  Still fun to see my brother and his kids, though.

Reasons I'm still watching: Carlos Rodon, Reynaldo Lopez, rooting for Giolito to turn it around, and looking for progress on Moncada.

Just to refresh your memory the Sox 1977 rotation was Steve Stone (15-12), Francisco Barrios (14-7), Chris Knapp (12-7) and Ken Kravec (11-8) and Wilbur Wood (7-8)

On 7/11/2018 at 11:52 AM, soxfan2014 said:

I sat through a 20-1, weekday May/June game against the Twins in a year we were supposed to be good. Definitely the worst for me. Also, Jake Peavy rejected a trade to the Sox that very day.

I was at this game.  Mind you, I live in Fort Wayne, IN--that's in Northeast IN.  That would be a 4 hour 1-way trip (using the trains).  I make it to a game every couple years or so...that was the one.  

13 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

It's so easy to complain, but look at this again and remind yourself exactly what the White Sox are trying to do

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2012.shtml

Interesting that they were 14th of 16 in errors committed.  It is almost like teams with a lot of young kids make a lot of dumb mistakes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AustinIllini said:

It's so easy to complain, but look at this again and remind yourself exactly what the White Sox are trying to do

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2012.shtml

One glaring difference is that Houston hired a new GM right before the start of the 2012 season (hired 12/8/2011).  It may or may not matter.

30 minutes ago, Juschill said:

One glaring difference is that Houston hired a new GM right before the start of the 2012 season (hired 12/8/2011).  It may or may not matter.

It doesn't really matter.  The fact that this GM is doing the right thing and blowing it up and rebuilding is enough.  He's doing the right things and the pieces we are acquiring and developing look pretty special.