What is most interesting to me is that not only were there three contenders, but apparently two teams who "weren't ready to win" in 2017.  I wonder who the teams were.

Obviously we know the Cubs.  The Brewers were the team most talked about before the deal broke, so it is safe to assume they were contender #2.  I seem to remember the Yankees being a possibility?

On to the non-contenders, there were rumors about the Braves sniffing around Sale, could they be one of the teams?  If so, could Acuna have been on the table?  What would the choice be, Acuna or Eloy?

The Phillies added Arietta during the off-season, could they have been the other one?

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

All reports are that the Cubs blew away the next  leading offer, so it probably wasn't as big as we are speculating here. 

I don't think so, but if you're looking for a second piece to Albies to match up with Cease, Allard is a good guess.

2 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

I don't think so, but if you're looking for a second piece to Albies to match up with Cease, Allard is a good guess.

Hahn sure said it.  And I have yet to see anyone say differently.

“This package of prospects we received today not only was far and away the best offer, the best possibility, that we’ve discussed with any club since we’ve started this process rough a year ago or so,” Hahn said. “But it’s one that allows us to continue to add to the prospect base that we’ve accumulated in a potentially high impact way.”

• Like 2

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Hahn sure said it.  And I have yet to see anyone say differently.

I agreed with you. I don't think anyone else's offer came close to theirs. I was originally responding to the hypothetical question of "What would be a good second piece to go along with Albies that would match Cease in value?"

1 minute ago, Dam8610 said:

I agreed with you. I don't think anyone else's offer came close to theirs. I was originally responding to the hypothetical question of "What would be a good second piece to go along with Albies that would match Cease in value?"

My bad.  I thought that was in regards to the Cubs blowing away the best offer.  Carry on.

6 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

If the Bravos wouldn't put that guy on the table in addition to their top guy, the Cubs offer would blow everyone away.

Regardless of what the other offers were we easily won the deal. The cubs bet on his advanced stats but he never really rebounded last year.

Now both his advanced and normal metrics are mediocre this year. 4.64 FIP. 3.96 ERA. Pretty sure the Cubs were expecting more when they gave up a huge package for him.

2 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

Regardless of what the other offers were we easily won the deal. The cubs bet on his advanced stats but he never really rebounded last year.

Now both his advanced and normal metrics are mediocre this year. 4.64 FIP. 3.96 ERA. Pretty sure the Cubs were expecting more when they gave up a huge package for him.

We didn't win anything "easily". Eloy and Cease have combined for 0 MLB games so far. Let's pump the brakes with this kind of analysis.

I think it's very likely that we end up winning this deal but it's far too early to declare anything 

13 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

Man this looks like such a good trade. 

Cubs fans are already calling it a loss for them on other boards (although they're already calling the Sale trade/Moncada a bust too from all accounts). 

• Like 2

Most of what Hahn says publicly strikes me as hyperbole/spin/CYA; my view is still affected by his sorry excuses for the Shields trade, which were never challenged by Chicago media or bloggers.

That said, on paper at least, that deal was so strong, it's hard to image another teaming coming close.
The Sale trade was probably light on paper, and in comparison to the Q deal it was definitely light.  And except for Moncada, we're still "on paper" on these trades.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Most of what Hahn says publicly strikes me as hyperbole/spin/CYA; my view is still affected by his sorry excuses for the Shields trade, which were never challenged by Chicago media or bloggers.

That said, on paper at least, that deal was so strong, it's hard to image another teaming coming close.
The Sale trade was probably light on paper, and in comparison to the Q deal it was definitely light.  And except for Moncada, we're still "on paper" on these trades.

The Sale Trade was not light, IMO. You pay a premium for a consensus #1 prospect in baseball because that guy should be a dominant force in your organization for a decade to come. Getting that along with a top 20 pitching prospect is a major score. 

The question remains whether or not we will be able to do anything with that talent once we acquired it, or did we get fleeced because our scouts just looked at someone's prospect lists and didn't notice flaws that should have been caught.

• Like 1

What’s cool is that no greater collection of talent will probably ever be traded than the Sale trade.  

Top pitcher in the league, friendliest contract ever.  I can’t imagine a scenario where more value exists in a tradeable asset.  

So Moncada, Kopech, Basabe & Díaz is the most a team will ever get for anybody I guess

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

What’s cool is that no greater collection of talent will probably ever be traded than the Sale trade.  

Top pitcher in the league, friendliest contract ever.  I can’t imagine a scenario where more value exists in a tradeable asset.  

So Moncada, Kopech, Basabe & Díaz is the most a team will ever get for anybody I guess

So let's just note this...Mike Trout is now 2.5 years away from Free Agency, putting up another of the best statistical seasons in baseball history, and has been to the playoffs once with his team for 3 games. 

If you're the Halos, you've at least got to start thinking that maybe he won't extend there with a team that can't make the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The Sale Trade was not light, IMO. You pay a premium for a consensus #1 prospect in baseball because that guy should be a dominant force in your organization for a decade to come. Getting that along with a top 20 pitching prospect is a major score. 

The question remains whether or not we will be able to do anything with that talent once we acquired it, or did we get fleeced because our scouts just looked at someone's prospect lists and didn't notice flaws that should have been caught.

Another question that is being answered now is why the Red Sox we’re willing to let go of the #1 prospect in baseball instead of Benitendi. 

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

Another question that is being answered now is why the Red Sox we’re willing to let go of the #1 prospect in baseball instead of Benitendi. 

Because they're in win-now mode and Moncada would take longer to develop than Benintendi. Plus, he was blocked by Pedroia.

Benintendi is better right now, but it's very easy to see Moncada being the more valuable player in the long run, especially given Benintendi's average-at-best defense at left field, which is either the least important or next to least important (1B) defensive position. 

Edited by Jose Abreu
  • Haha 1

I still have a lot of hopes for Moncada/Kopech and despite Giolito's struggles - Lopez has looked promising. However, THIS is certainly the deal that is panning out in the most desirable way to this point. I suppose anything can happen once Cease/Eloy reach the majors, but they look very good. Hard for me to envision Eloy busting. Guy smashes wherever he goes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Lord help us.

As for Moncada and Kopech, they both had off the field/personality issues that were focus related.   And we've seen it.   It's a little odd though considering that the Sox tend to over-emphasize "good in the clubhouse" and "grit" in general.

But focus issues increase the risk, so it's easier to see why the Redsox wanted to protect what they saw as surer bets to be productive major leaguers, albeit with lower ceilings.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Lord help us.

As for Moncada and Kopech, they both had off the field/personality issues that were focus related.   And we've seen it.   It's a little odd though considering that the Sox tend to over-emphasize "good in the clubhouse" and "grit" in general.

But focus issues increase the risk, so it's easier to see why the Redsox wanted to protect what they saw as surer bets to be productive major leaguers, albeit with lower ceilings.

Such as?