7/12 Games

BamaDoc

5 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Any explanation as to why Adams and Guerrero struggled in AA and really doing well in AAA?

Small sample size. I don't think AAA hitters have the book out on either yet (although I could see boredom too being in AA that long, especially  Guerrero who seemed a bit peeved at times)

3 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Small sample size. I don't think AAA hitters have the book out on either yet (although I could see boredom too being in AA that long, especially  Guerrero who seemed a bit peeved at times)

I never buy this boredom stuff. If his "boredom" is causing him to have a 6+ era in AA, I think he is mentally weak and without the drive to make it to the mlb

3 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

I never buy this boredom stuff. If his "boredom" is causing him to have a 6+ era in AA, I think he is mentally weak and without the drive to make it to the mlb

I disagree. Haven't you known people who get passed over for promotions at work even though they are more deserving? I don't care how dedicated you are it wears on you and performance and concentration can suffer. This is in the normal world. Compound that by needed the laser focused concentration baseball takes and it can effect performance. They are human and workplace issues will effect performance.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I disagree. Haven't you known people who get passed over for promotions at work even though they are more deserving? I don't care how dedicated you are it wears on you and performance and concentration can suffer. This is in the normal world. Compound that by needed the laser focused concentration baseball takes and it can effect performance. They are human and workplace issues will effect performance.

He didn't earn himself a promotion though. He didn't exactly light up the world in AA last year.

22 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I think what I'd say is you're right that boredom can do that but also it's something that is speculated to be the cause of bad play much more often than it really is the cause of bad play.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

He didn't earn himself a promotion though. He didn't exactly light up the world in AA last year.

He started off a bit slow in 2017 then was brilliant until later in the year, then tailed off. Started slow this year again, got better (though maybe still not promotion level as last season, but still) and got promoted. I'm sure he thought he was more justified last season, but hey he's taking advantage so far in a limited sample size. We'll see though when AAA hitters start to adjust as the book comes out on him. Kopech started off great too. 

Edited by SoxAce

1 hour ago, Jake said:

I think what I'd say is you're right that boredom can do that but also it's something that is speculated to be the cause of bad play much more often than it really is the cause of bad play.

Of course. There is usually a reason behind why players have a down year or slumps. In baseball, more often than not, (I admit to a bias) it is a nagging injury. The players just get the rest they need and pitching and hitting are such exact motions that a little pain or soreness can throw it off. 

The mental stress of the situation can be a factor though.