7/14 Games

BamaDoc

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I wouldn't go so far to say he is super. But the point being that just because he doesn't have a position in the draft, doesn't mean he can't become an adequate fielder in the MLB. Need to trust the scouts on that

Higher defensive fWAR this year than Inciarte, Trout and Betts.  Shocking to see, but just another cap on their incredible ability to develop players.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Higher defensive fWAR this year than Inciarte, Trout and Betts.  Shocking to see, but just another cap on their incredible ability to develop players.

Yeah, well you seen what I think of WAR. Any stat that says Schwarber is better than Trout in the outfield obviously has it's issues. Don't think many coaches would play schwarber in CF on a regular basis.

I'm not sure if it's better development, scouting or both.

Heck I'm probably the low man on this board when it comes to Madrigal and the slow start isn't shocking. Wouldn't surprise me if he's pressing now, as between the CWS and his first week in professional baseball, I doubt he's ever had 1 hit in like 25 at bats.  

11 hours ago, ptatc said:

I wouldn't go so far to say he is super. But the point being that just because he doesn't have a position in the draft, doesn't mean he can't become an adequate fielder in the MLB. Need to trust the scouts on that

And 30 teams thought he wasn't worth a first round draft pick, let alone #4.

20 minutes ago, Tony said:

He has 6 weeks to show "us" something..or what? 

Or, What?  Not much; just some off season criticism.  If he does well at Kanny, there shouldn't be any critical comments.

Yoelvin Silven is a just-turned (same birthday as me) 19 year old kid the Sox signed in May.

So far in the DSL, he has thrown 31 IP, has allowed 25 H, 7 ER, 1 HR for a 2.01 ERA. Best of all, he has only 5 BB to 42 K so far. That's a K9 over 12, and a BB9 under 1.5. That will play, young man. 

And there is absolutely dick to be found about this kid. 

8 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Yoelvin Silven is a just-turned (same birthday as me) 19 year old kid the Sox signed in May.

So far in the DSL, he has thrown 31 IP, has allowed 25 H, 7 ER, 1 HR for a 2.01 ERA. Best of all, he has only 5 BB to 42 K so far. That's a K9 over 12, and a BB9 under 1.5. That will play, young man. 

And there is absolutely dick to be found about this kid. 

Was just talking about him in another thread yesterday.  This is his very first professional experience, so I wonder if he was an older signing or what?  Pitching develops so much later than hitting at that age, so I wonder what his back story is.

36 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Was just talking about him in another thread yesterday.  This is his very first professional experience, so I wonder if he was an older signing or what?  Pitching develops so much later than hitting at that age, so I wonder what his back story is.

Gonna guess dude showed up at a tryout, had interesting trackman data, signs for 10k. These 19 year olds sign randomly and out of nowhere, are typically late bloomers, but some do make bigs and sometimes quickly.

We'll see if he moves to find out if he's actually good.

Just now, bmags said:

Gonna guess dude showed up at a tryout, had interesting trackman data, signs for 10k. These 19 year olds sign randomly and out of nowhere, are typically late bloomers, but some do make bigs and sometimes quickly.

We'll see if he moves to find out if he's actually good.

I also just noticed he wears #56.  Sign him up.

There was a good podcast with Kiley talking about this with Carson Cistulli.

Teams would have tryouts (other scouts could come), the handlers would bring a bunch of age appropriate guys but also try and bring some of the older guys to see. At them, sometimes the hosting team would have their trackman up (others did not have access to), and just immediately remove them from mound so others couldn't sign them.